Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Love the turn on this player.  When initially acquired a lot of people hated it and viewed it as a throw-in and that we got less for Reinhart than Risto.  

Now a season later and he's looking like a possible solution in goal at some point.  I think this would be an even faster jump than Spencer Knight.

He could be the Sabres' Josh Allen.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

I bet Devon Levi would have stopped them in that shootout.  Where are you Devon?

#Leviwatch2022

He's simply a prospect at this point.  

Look, he had a great college season, but it's a huge jump to the NHL for a goaltender.  

I'm concerned NHL shooters will eat him alive upstairs, so lets pump the breaks just a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Look, he had a great college season, but it's a huge jump to the NHL for a goaltender.  

I'm concerned NHL shooters will eat him alive upstairs, so lets pump the breaks just a bit.

GIve him a handful of games this season then let him see what he needs to work on in the A.  If he signs.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

woosh GIF

From Friedman’s 32 Thoughts this morning:

17. The Sabres have done an excellent job identifying two young goaltending talents, but are waiting to find out if they can sign either one. They should know in the next day or so if Northeastern’s Devon Levi is joining the Sabres or going back to college. He was acquired in the Sam Reinhart trade, and his rights belong to Buffalo for more two more years. The other is Michigan’s Erik Portillo, drafted 67th in 2019. He’s with the Wolverines at the Frozen Four, so we won’t know until after — but Portillo is one year from unrestricted free agency.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

From Friedman’s 32 Thoughts this morning:

17. The Sabres have done an excellent job identifying two young goaltending talents, but are waiting to find out if they can sign either one. They should know in the next day or so if Northeastern’s Devon Levi is joining the Sabres or going back to college. He was acquired in the Sam Reinhart trade, and his rights belong to Buffalo for more two more years. The other is Michigan’s Erik Portillo, drafted 67th in 2019. He’s with the Wolverines at the Frozen Four, so we won’t know until after — but Portillo is one year from unrestricted free agency.

Is this right (re:  Portillo)?  I thought he was only a sophomore, but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

5 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Why is Portillo a UFA in a year?  If correct, that's not good

NHL rules. Ncaa players that play all 4 years of college and go unsigned become ufa that can sign 2yr elcs in August. 

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Is this right (re:  Portillo)?  I thought he was only a sophomore, but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

He is a sophomore, idk how they get to only 1 year to ufa.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

NHL rules. Ncaa players that play all 4 years of college and go unsigned become ufa that can sign 2yr elcs in August. 

He is a sophomore, idk how they get to only 1 year to ufa.

Maybe he redshirted. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Elite has him in the ushl that year so no,  he's a true sophomore 

He played a year in ushl after his draft year before going to Michigan? If so, was he not eligible to go to college when he played ushl?

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

He played a year in ushl after his draft year before going to Michigan? If so, was he not eligible to go to college when he played ushl?

Yes Portillo played a year in the USHL after his draft.

Idk if he was not college eligible. A lot of euro players do a year in the USHL before college if they are going there so I am unsure. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes Portillo played a year in the USHL after his draft.

Idk if he was not college eligible. A lot of euro players do a year in the USHL before college if they are going there so I am unsure. 

Maybe the rule is four years post draft, not necessarily four NCAA years post draft?  He needs to be signed. 

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

Maybe the rule is four years post draft, not necessarily four NCAA years post draft?  He needs to be signed. 

It's 4th year post draft 

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights."

Edited by LGR4GM