Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Power went back for development purposes. There's nothing left for Levi to develop at the ncaa level. 

Power went back as a 19yr old. Levi would be 21yr in December. 

It's not the same.

No, but there are many reasons to stay and only one to leave.  I see you ignored that Miller made the decision to stay in a nearly identical situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, but there are many reasons to stay and only one to leave.  I see you ignored that Miller made the decision to stay in a nearly identical situation. 

What is the “only one reason to leave”? I can think of a few besides money: to continue to develop your craft but tailored for the NHL game, to begin to gel with your future teammates, to put a stake in the ground in terms of development timeline (ie get in line for the starting job). 

FYI on Northeastern's team.  They have 8 drafted players, and 15 Freshman and Sophomores.  Jack Hughes is most likely to be drafted in the 1st rd.  They also have a few 2nd rd picks.  This is a young and talented team despite comments to the contrary.  I can easily see Levi going back to see if he and the other kids can push this team even higher.  Ryan Miller made the same decision after winning the Hobey Baker to try to win a National Championship.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think Miller is a good comparable due to changes in development and leagues in the last 20 years. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I don't think Miller is a good comparable due to changes in development and leagues in the last 20 years. 

That may or may not be true, but he is perfect comparable in situation.  Late Round pick who dominates college hockey as a sophomore on a young talented team, who wins the Hobey Baker (or is nominated for it).  Miller went back for one more season to try to win it all.  Levi may make the same decision.  Also Levi's development has been pretty fantastic with pro hockey.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

I guess it comes down to whether Levi thinks he's ready for the promotion. 

I can't see him looking forward to a year in the AHL. He's been skating with NHL players since he was 14. 

Unless he thinks he can make the leap straight to the NHL I think he'll stay in school. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Power went back for development purposes. There's nothing left for Levi to develop at the ncaa level. 

Power went back as a 19yr old. Levi would be 21yr in December. 

It's not the same.

The point is, there are valid reasons for going one more year to college.  And a failure to sign now does not indicate he wants to bolt from the Sabres.  We're only looking at it from the perspective of Sabres fans.  Levi has another perspective that we only get hints at.

Actually Levi staying an extra year makes KA’s off-season easier.  Portillo is a year older and probably ready to start his pro career.  

KA’s plan would become acquire a proven NHL starter to stabilize the net.  Then re-sign UPL and let him try to win the NHL backup job.  Sign a second veteran to be either the NHL backup or mentor in the AHL (like Tokarski).  If UPL isn’t NHL ready, then he starts in the AHL with Portillo in the ECHL.  If UPL is ready, Portillo begins in the AHL.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually Levi staying an extra year makes KA’s off-season easier.  Portillo is a year older and probably ready to start his pro career.  

KA’s plan would become acquire a proven NHL starter to stabilize the net.  Then re-sign UPL and let him try to win the NHL backup job.  Sign a second veteran to be either the NHL backup or mentor in the AHL (like Tokarski).  If UPL isn’t NHL ready, then he starts in the AHL with Portillo in the ECHL.  If UPL is ready, Portillo begins in the AHL.

I see no reason to put Portillo in the ECHL and don't think there's any plan for him to go there. 

Upl will be in Buffalo with a veteran. Portillo will be in Rochester. If upl falls flat in the NHL, they'll either trade him or keep him as backup for another year. 

The Levi signing issue was talked about on WGR with Paul Hamilton. There are complications to signing him right away. If you sign him now do you then assign him to Rochester where UPL is playing? Do you assign him to Buffalo for a short stint and jump him ahead of UPL who should be next in line for the NHL? The simplest and maybe the best approach for the Sabres is to sign him to a contract a little later on (assuming he leaves college) and start him off in Rochester next season. 

If Levi decides to stay in school another year it wouldn't be the worst thing for the player or the organization. I still believe that he will leave college this year and go pro. Whatever he decides I'm fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone really think he's not going to turn pro this year?  It seems impossible.

I can’t see him going back.

Perhaps he had not discussed the signing with his agent/advisor and family, so he is taking some time with it. There are not many options for entry level contracts so it should not be too complicated. 

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone really think he's not going to turn pro this year?  It seems impossible.

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I can’t see him going back.

Perhaps he had not discussed the signing with his agent/advisor and family, so he is taking some time with it. There are not many options for entry level contracts so it should not be too complicated. 

It really seems like a no-brainer to sign his first pro contract.

That said, it is a life altering decision and as such there should be considerable contemplation.  These things are never as easy as they seem they should be.

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Levi signing issue was talked about on WGR with Paul Hamilton. There are complications to signing him right away. If you sign him now do you then assign him to Rochester where UPL is playing? Do you assign him to Buffalo for a short stint and jump him ahead of UPL who should be next in line for the NHL? The simplest and maybe the best approach for the Sabres is to sign him to a contract a little later on (assuming he leaves college) and start him off in Rochester next season. 

If Levi decides to stay in school another year it wouldn't be the worst thing for the player or the organization. I still believe that he will leave college this year and go pro. Whatever he decides I'm fine with it. 

I don't think Levi playing a few games in the NHL this year would put him in front of anyone, really. I can't put facts on this, but it seems like late in the year (especially in a lost year like this), it's common to bring up a young goalie for a game or three to give them a taste of the NHL and what they'll have to do to make it. I think the Sabres see the other side of it; there's a whole generation of goalies that had their first game/win/shutout against the Sabres this last decade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm not worried about UPLs hurt feelings. Give Levi a shot ahead of him.

UPL had had ample time to take the reins and be the team's franchise goalie, but progress has been slow. Under .900 in ROC is pretty underwhelming for a third pro season.

Understandably, a goaltender's development path is longer than that of a position player, but it almost seems more likely that he'll never be an NHL calibre goalie than it is that he'll one day be the team's starter.

Most importantly, given UPL has had no other prospects in the org to challenge him, maybe giving Levi a shot will motivate him to be better next season.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't believe KA will gift Levi any NHL games.. both him and Portillo will need to earn their stripes in Rochester before being called up.   

It's part of the process now, and it needs to be that way moving forward for things to change.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I don't believe KA will gift Levi any NHL games.. both him and Portillo will need to earn their stripes in Rochester before being called up.   

It's part of the process now, and it needs to be that way moving forward for things to change.

Good luck with that lol college players want the money