GDT - Sabres @ Canucks - Sunday, March 20, 2022 - 10:00 PM - MSG-B and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You think Mitts is one of the top 2?  Really?  I'd put Tage there, Skinner, Mitts?  I think that's wishful thinking, at least this season.  Maybe once he's truly back from injury.... maybe.

They by better players right now, but Mitts is a much more talented then Thompson and probably Skinner because Skinner’s passing is mediocre at best.  Tonights Mitts was the player we saw last season.  Hopefully this is a sample of the future this season and beyond.  

Also I love feisty Cozens and Dahlin.  They are giving us an edge.

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It's no surprise that this team is better when they don't dress Bjork and Hayden. Now we only have one-third of the hot puke line to replace for next year.

It’s funny how that works.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Are you people giving me the exceptions to the rule? Because it kind of feels like you’re proving my point.

True.

I don't think it happens very often that:

1. We trade a player at the deadline
  2. We want him back
  3. He wants to come back

I think Hinostroza may be one of those exceptions.  Pysyk may be another, but depending on off-season moves he may not qualify under (2).

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It's no surprise that this team is better when they don't dress Bjork and Hayden. Now we only have one-third of the hot puke line to replace for next year.

Put Girgs at center, with Okie and either Hinostroza or Asplund.  Done.

It strikes me that the last two OT sessions where the Sabres got the puck right from the faceoff and kept it are great advertising for Eakin.  He played a big role in both those wins even though he wasn't on the ice for the goal.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They by better players right now, but Mitts is a much more talented then Thompson and probably Skinner because Skinner’s passing is mediocre at best.  Tonights Mitts was the player we saw last season.  Hopefully this is a sample of the future this season and beyond.  

Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

If we can get last season Mittsy back for next season I'll be thrilled.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Also I love feisty Cozens and Dahlin.  They are giving us an edge.

Yes.

I've regretted losing Marcus Foligno for a long time but over the last couple weeks I'm starting to think that Cozens is developing along a similar trajectory.  And with the role he's been playing it takes the pressure off him in terms of scoring.  If he scores, great, but if he just gets other teams off their game it's mission accomplished.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

If we can get last season Mittsy back for next season I'll be thrilled.

He needs to stay healthy first. I’m not convinced, even a little, that he has the body of an NHL player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

He needs to stat healthy first. I’m not convinced, even a little, that he has the body of an NHL player. 

The conversion of Tage to center may end up saving Mittelstadt's career.  I think Mitts is good enough to be 1C but possibly not durable enough.  Playing 2C or 3C may take that bit of pressure off him to allow him to hang in there.

11 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

So, why is it that those players that are good at faceoffs don’t teach teammates how to better at it?  Job security?

It might be about a specific talent and mindset as much as a teachable technique.

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

It might be about a specific talent and mindset as much as a teachable technique.

Face offs are about technique, timing and hand/eye coordination. It is a very overlooked talent in the game.

If they trade Eakin I fear they might not win another faceoff all season😀

36 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

So, why is it that those players that are good at faceoffs don’t teach teammates how to better at it?  Job security?

I think it's a skill that one has to develop over time with experience, rather than just being told what works.  Crosby spent a long time specifically trying to get better at faceoffs.  He was successful, but it didn't come overnight.

• SDS unpinned this topic

Another character building win.  

My thoughts: 

1.  Dahlin is playing like the AllStar that he is.  
2.  Getting Mitts back and seeing him get back into game shape and contribute is big. 
3.  Goaltending is critical,  Anderson is at NHL level. 
4.  Teamwork, leadership and team pride emerging.  
5.  Granato pushing the right buttons 

Adams has to make the right moves in the off season and then watch out  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

So, why is it that those players that are good at scoring goals don’t teach teammates how to better at it?  Job security?

I’m sure that they do. Some people are just better at certain things than others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.