GDT: 3/13/2022, Leafs @ Sabres, 4pm on Sportsnet and TNT 📺

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They made Dunleavy and Roy look like a Hall of Fame tandem.  At least they watch the game.

And at least they comment on the game. Gretzky is arguably the best hockey player in the history of the game. Being in behind a microphone diminishes him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

And at least they comment on the game. Gretzky is arguably the best hockey player in the history of the game. Being in behind a microphone diminishes him. 

It's fine between periods and at whistles to get his point of view on a play or save etc..  However, call the darn game as it's happening.  

They tried a little harder after the changeover when Toronto needed to get back in the game and that almost made it worse.  I'm not sure if the producers were telling them to get back to work or that they ran out of beer.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, inkman said:

He hasn’t had much help.  Meatballs has been giving him a lot of garbage wingers.  I think Donny does it because he knows Dylan can handle it.

Yeah, I think he is also trying to mold Cozens into a player who can be used in energy/shutdown/matchup type roles.

Cozens has the skating, hands and shot to do more in the offensive zone.  I think he will with more experience, muscle gain, and better wingers.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Can someone in the media please ask Dahlin what happened at the All Star game to make him flip the switch. He has been terrific the second half and engages physically regularly now.

Great game. Love seeing the kids like Krebs, Cozens, Samuelsson continue to grow.

I think just being named an All Star did it. Affirmation of your own talent like that can be powerful.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's fine between periods and at whistles to get his point of view on a play or save etc..  However, call the darn game as it's happening.  

They tried a little harder after the changeover when Toronto needed to get back in the game and that almost made it worse.  I'm not sure if the producers were telling them to get back to work or that they ran out of beer.  

Because of the cold this was more of a whiskey than a beer game for the announcers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Can someone in the media please ask Dahlin what happened at the All Star game to make him flip the switch. He has been terrific the second half and engages physically regularly now.

Great game. Love seeing the kids like Krebs, Cozens, Samuelsson continue to grow.

There has been some stuff written that Hedman and Dahlin had some talks during the All-Star weekend. Dahlin's game became what wwe were all expecting out of him almost immediately upon his return to the Sabres. If he took any advice from Hedman (if those conversations were true) he couldn't have gotten it from a better D-man. I tend to believe they spoke and thank you Hedman for any advice you gave him. Epic change to his game now and we're loving it!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

I think just being named an All Star did it. Affirmation of your own talent like that can be powerful.

I like to imagine it was cigars and smoked bourbon with his fellow countryman Victor Hedman.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, North Buffalo said:

PS Vegas losing again 5-2 to Columbus

The "curse of Jack Eichel"! 

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

I like to imagine it was cigars and smoked bourbon with his fellow countryman Victor Hedman.

Whatever it was- even if it was just time spent with Victor Hedman, God bless Hedman for having an influence!

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Gretzky is fine behind a microphone.  And I bet if you asked him to, he would do a decent job in the booth as a color/analyst guy.  That is not what they did today though.  They spent at least 80% of the game talking about Gretzky instead of the hockey game that was being played.

It was a production decision.  They don’t just send guys to the booth and say “just talk about whatever”.  There is a plan for how they will call the game.  They obviously thought it was a good idea to spend tons of time talking about Gretzky.

As someone else in here said, it’s a missed opportunity to market the game.  A 9 year old who happened to be watching isn’t going to be interested in what Gretzky did 40 or 50 or 60 years ago.  They would have been much better served to talk about how awesome it is that these guys are playing outside, and highlight interesting/fun things about players in the game.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Others have singled out the play of Samuelsson. Just to add to their recognition of his play when watching him the thing that sticks out to me is his efficiency. He plays a strong game but isn't noted for banging because he is so efficient at getting to and moving the puck out quickly. For a young player he plays a mature game. Risto was noted for his big hits but lacked the instincts of where to be positioned. Samuelsson has a cerebral way of playing the position that Risto doesn't, and will never have. I'm really impressed by him. 

I'm in love with the guy. There, I said it 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

One of the best things about this win was that backup the big LV win with another win against a playoff team in the national spotlight.  It also backed up the 5-1 pounding they gave the Loafs 11 days ago.  

Obviously there is a long way to go, but they are making the stretch drive much more entertaining and building some confidence in the process and in themselves.  

Just now, breese866 said:

I have thought all season that Hinostroza is more than JAG.  Resign him.  He is a speed guy, a veteran who can play on the bottom six.  

They can always trade him for assets and then re-sign him in the off-season if he wants to come back.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Others have singled out the play of Samuelsson. Just to add to their recognition of his play when watching him the thing that sticks out to me is his efficiency. He plays a strong game but isn't noted for banging because he is so efficient at getting to and moving the puck out quickly. For a young player he plays a mature game. Risto was noted for his big hits but lacked the instincts of where to be positioned. Samuelsson has a cerebral way of playing the position that Risto doesn't, and will never have. I'm really impressed by him. 

So, in the limited sample size to date....does his game remind you more of dad (Kjell) or Ulf (unrelated)?  Or a combination of both?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.