After the Whistle Podcast - Jack Returns

PromoTheRobot

59 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Agreed, pretty much universally Sabres are touted with having the number 1 pool of prospects in the NHL now. There is real cause for optimism finally over the next few years as long as they keep building and trending in the right direction.

They've had that at least 3 other times in the last 11 years I feel like. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Are we really calling rivet a true captain? That was truly  Embarrassing when no one in that core wanted to step up 

Indeed it was, but Rivet was still a real captain who conducted himself the right way.  It's too bad the Sabres got him so late in his career.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Indeed it was, but Rivet was still a real captain who conducted himself the right way.  It's too bad the Sabres got him so late in his career.

I would put him in the ott category the organization putting  blankets over the fan bases eyes and bringing a shiny new toy with toughness 

But like you said they get players in career ending years

Edited by Buffalonill

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Agreed, pretty much universally Sabres are touted with having the number 1 pool of prospects in the NHL now. There is real cause for optimism finally over the next few years as long as they keep building and trending in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

They've had that at least 3 other times in the last 11 years I feel like. 

Yep.

zzzzzzzzz.

3 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Rivet is the real deal. Sat next to him at a Sabres Luncheon for Season ticket holders during his playing days. Exactly what you would expect from a hockey player, a regular guy of the  “lunch bucket”variety. Rivet is telling you what he feels from as a hockey player from a different era.

That podcast was a little theater but hey it’s a podcast….

I suspect there is a lot about Jack and the regime that will come out now. Jack’s immature ways and smart a** mouth may have opened the door for some very unflattering things. I welcome it. If It ruins Jack’s reputation so be it. Then again Jack is doing it to himself, he always has.  Jack Eichel threw the first stone (and many other stones), making a mistake the other night by calling out the best fan city/base in all of North America. The former players who have adopted this city as their own will demonstrate that and defend us.

Every fanbase thinks they are the best fans in the league. Just throwing that out there. I’ve heard that so many times from so many different teams supporters it gets old real fast. The homerism is strong everywhere. And, every city has former players that choose to live there. Well except for Winnipeg.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Every fanbase thinks they are the best fans in the league. Just throwing that out there. I’ve heard that so many times from so many different teams supporters it gets old real fast. The homerism is strong everywhere. And, every city has former players that choose to live there. Well except for Winnipeg.

To be fair, the reputation of Buffalo fans around the league is very positive.  We may or may not be the best, but I would bet, for an American city, we'd be way up there.

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

To be fair, the reputation of Buffalo fans around the league is very positive.  We may or may not be the best, but I would bet, for an American city, we'd be way up there.

No doubt. From my interactions here on Sabrespace Buffalo has great fans not just on the hockey side but all sports. My point was that fans tend to have a myopic opinion when it comes to their own team and the quality of its fans.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

No doubt. From my interactions here on Sabrespace Buffalo has great fans not just on the hockey side but all sports. My point was that fans tend to have a myopic opinion when it comes to their own team and the quality of its fans.

If anything, we all underestimate our myopia on this topic.

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/11/2022 at 12:43 PM, Weave said:

18 minutes in.

Over the top.  Over sell IMO.  I almost stopped listening.  Lots of fake outrage.  But I don’t doubt that these guys have inner knowledge that we couldn’t ever have.

Regardless, It definitely reaffirmed my thought that he was not the right guy personality-wise to build a team around.

I listened to the podcast.   Wow. I was surprised at some of the comments from Rivet, like POS to describe Jack.  I’ve heard negative things from other alumni and insiders but this was very rough.   

Actually, Gionta would not bite when asked, other than say he wasn’t ready for the C and may not ever be. 

After hearing all this I think Pat Brisson has a lot of work to do to shine this guy up.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5

On 3/11/2022 at 3:54 PM, nfreeman said:

Here's a specific item:  Petey said that Eichel didn't speak with a lot of his teammates -- i.e. he held himself above them, like they weren't worth his time in talking to.

If true, what a freaking DB and what a terrible captain.

Also, I don't think Rivet's outrage was fake.

Yes.  I’ve heard these stories before.  There have been cliques within the team since the first rebuild with veterans ignored or scoffed at by the hotshots - lots of problems.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

With all due respect, I could have worded it differently). I will argue with you at a later date why we are the best fans but not today as it is off topic, my bad.

Let me better illustrate my point....

Sabres fans did not deserve to get PUNKED by the little brat called Jack. 

To go even further.....The ESPN+ Post game commentators who scrambled to find words for Jack's comments (resembled someone trying to polish a turd) and the NHL Network commentator later on that evening that said "I really respect a player that speaks his mind" are ignorant to what its been like to be a Sabres fan for the last 12 years. To me, being an apologist for Jack Eichel is just as boorish as Jack's comments. 

As for Eichel, I'm glad it bothered him. Eichel never wanted to be here, caused more trouble than he was worth and deserves every boo he gets from us every time he plays here. Rivet said it best, he used to hate to play here as an opposing player. I hope to god we are on the way back up to that kind of environment in that arena. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

With all due respect, I could have worded it differently). I will argue with you at a later date why we are the best fans but not today as it is off topic, my bad.

Let me better illustrate my point....

Sabres fans did not deserve to get PUNKED by the little brat called Jack. 

To go even further.....The ESPN+ Post game commentators who scrambled to find words for Jack's comments (resembled someone trying to polish a turd) and the NHL Network commentator later on that evening that said "I really respect a player that speaks his mind" are ignorant to what its been like to be a Sabres fan for the last 12 years. To me, being an apologist for Jack Eichel is just as boorish as Jack's comments. 

As for Eichel, I'm glad it bothered him. Eichel never wanted to be here, caused more trouble than he was worth and deserves every boo he gets from us every time he plays here. Rivet said it best, he used to hate to play here as an opposing player. I hope to god we are on the way back up to that kind of environment in that arena. 

I agree.

53 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I listened to the podcast.   Wow. I was surprised at some of the comments from Rivet, like POS to describe Jack.  I’ve heard negative things from other alumni and insiders but this was very rough.   

Actually, Gionta would not bite when asked, other than say he wasn’t ready for the C and may not ever be. 

After hearing all this I think Pat Brisson has a lot of work to do to shine this guy up.  

Again Jack reminds me of Stamkos who really didnt change til later in his career and a severe broken leg.  Who knows if and when Jack will ever be able to get that perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Again Jack reminds me of Stamkos who really didnt change til later in his career and a severe broken leg.  Who knows if and when Jack will ever be able to get that perspective.

One would think that being in the league seven years, having a traumatic injury and getting traded would give someone a fresh perspective. The only perspective he still has is of himself giving double guns in the mirror. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

One would think that being in the league seven years, having a traumatic injury and getting traded would give someone a fresh perspective. The only perspective he still has is of himself giving double guns in the mirror. 

Yeh Stamkos gained perspective... Jack seems to be a big question... dont think Jack ever saw his career in jeopardy on this one, where as Stamkos' injury certainly gave off that vibe.  And neither does Cody Eakin lol

Edited by North Buffalo

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh Stamkos gained perspective... Jack seems to be a big question... dont think Jack ever saw his career in jeopardy on this one, where as Stamkos' injury certainly gave off that vibe.

In the face of humiliating and humbling boos, Jack came to the only conclusion he could think of… the fans only booed because they still want him to play here. His lack of awareness is on par with Michael Scott from The Office.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, SDS said:

In the face of humiliating and humbling boos, Jack came to the only conclusion he could think of… the fans only booed because they still want him to play here. His lack of awareness is on par with Michael Scott from The Office.

True Dat

37 minutes ago, SDS said:

Sds after the Eichel comments...

i choose violence GIF

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I think we are as hockey smart as any Canadian fan base.

53 minutes ago, SDS said:

Sal Capaccio said he thinks Jack expected a love fest and couldn't believe he was booed instead.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Not Arizona.  I think they are the exception that proves the rule, or something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.