Okposo and his contract

mjd1001

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Would you take a 1st for him, max retention?

Nick Foligno got a 1st and a 4th last year with 7 goals at the trade deadline. His cap hit was $5.5, he was 33 and he hadn’t topped 35 points the 3 previous years.

I don’t think there’s any argument this year’s Okposo is a better player than last year’s Foligno.

I would take a 1st for KO in a heartbeat, with retention, and while you're right about this year's KO vs last year's Foligno, I still don't think anyone would give up a 1st for KO.  KO has too much Sabres stink on him, as well as plenty of his own stink from recent seasons.  And Toronto was trading for playoff leadership, which Foligno had provided in Columbus in 2 decent playoff runs the 2 seasons before Toronto traded for him.  That factor isn't present with KO.  Also, KO turns 34 next month and has another year on his contract, which would be a $3MM cap hit even with max retention. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I would take a 1st for KO in a heartbeat, with retention, and while you're right about this year's KO vs last year's Foligno, I still don't think anyone would give up a 1st for KO.  KO has too much Sabres stink on him, as well as plenty of his own stink from recent seasons.  And Toronto was trading for playoff leadership, which Foligno had provided in Columbus in 2 decent playoff runs the 2 seasons before Toronto traded for him.  That factor isn't present with KO.  Also, KO turns 34 next month and has another year on his contract, which would be a $3MM cap hit even with max retention. 

I would take a first too, but this guy is entrenched with the organization.  He’s definitely in it for the long haul.   Let’s hope he signs the team friendly deal to remain a 4th line veteran presence.   

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Why? Really. Why?

A month old topic about Kyle Okposo and his contract is resurrected to post a comparison tweet between him and Taylor Hall?  

Why do you think it’s helpful to dig up a dead topic that has nothing to do with what you are posting? 

Please stop doing this. Not only is this just flat out not helpful, it’s confusing to everyone who wonders why it was resurrected to only find out it was for no reason.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

And Hall is signed thru 24-25 at a cap hit of 6 mil. 😂

yeah, but look at how much we paid KO over the years with very little production. I'd say overall, Hall has been better value.  KO has had one of the worst contracts in Sabres history, fortunately, we are finally getting something from it.

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Not trying to be that guy but hall is more of a passer always has been .

Soooo

Oh go on.  You're always that guy😄

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does KA extend KO’s contract after next season?

I think that's a question that is best addressed after next season.  Will he still have anything left?  Will Kevyn want him?  Will KO want to play?  I think if he's playing like this at the end of next year, sure, sign him to a two-year deal.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Why? Really. Why?

A month old topic about Kyle Okposo and his contract is resurrected to post a comparison tweet between him and Taylor Hall?  

Why do you think it’s helpful to dig up a dead topic that has nothing to do with what you are posting? 

Please stop doing this. Not only is this just flat out not helpful, it’s confusing to everyone who wonders why it was resurrected to only find out it was for no reason.

So... start a new thread for a single tweet?  Serious question.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Why? Really. Why?

I like you, but you sometimes choose hills to die on.

I don't mind this at all, I rather have this than 20 different topics about the same thing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

To be fair, Hall has 56 points, Kyle has 44. Cap hit is the same. 

No question it's been a bounce back year for Kyle, but Hall is the better player by far like it or not. 

Hall is the better player, boston is not a fit for him though, unless for the contract to end his career and a shot at the big price.

Coming from someone that didn't like Okposo first 3 years.  Somehow he looks faster than 6 years ago.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Coming from someone that didn't like Okposo first 3 years.  Somehow he looks faster than 6 years ago.

Well Okposo almost died in the neurological ICU.  He had to pretty much completely rebuild his body after that.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So... start a new thread for a single tweet?  Serious question.

If that was the only other option, then yes. I don’t understand digging something up that’s long dead, that the title doesn’t match the new post and the desire to put it there. I literally can’t think of a single benefit of doing that. Please name one if I’m missing it. Putting a post in an old topic where it doesn’t belong does not lend legitimacy to it. 

i’ve mentioned this specifically before. Please put yourself in the shoes of an infrequent poster or someone who isn’t here all day. What do you think the user experience is when they see a topic from a month ago that states had Okposo and his contract. Do you think that they might expect to read something about his contract? Do you think they would be expecting new information on that subject? After all, someone dug it up for a reason right? What is their experience when they open it up, scroll through all the posts that they didn’t read a month ago, only to find a point comparison with Taylor Hall?  As a reader are you happy when that happens? Why did that reader have to go through that?

Most likely, the best option to just put it in Around the NHL. It’s literally the topic about minor NHL happenings that don’t deserve it’s own topic. 

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well Okposo almost died in the neurological ICU.  He had to pretty much completely rebuild his body after that.

Yeah I know, I'm pretty drunk right now, but what happened to him and still going, he is a warior.

Also next years goal song.

• Like (+1) 1

I think you're blowing this way, way, WAY out of proportion.

Since it involves a specific Sabre, posting it in the NHL thread seems like an odd choice.

That's kind of the point:  It's not really worth its own thread, but it doesn't cleanly go into any other thread.  It's a judgment call.  Your judgment and my judgment are different.

Edited by Doohickie

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Hall is the better player, boston is not a fit for him though, unless for the contract to end his career and a shot at the big price.

How so? 

That Pasternak Haula Hall line was pretty impressive before Pasternak got injured. Beaners were on a big win streak led mostly by that line. Hall is a very good power forward and uses his body well to drive and control the play. Something he didn't do much of here and hence he was ineffective. That's Boston hockey, and the fans love it. If they still had Krejci and Rask they'd be solid cup contenders.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, SDS said:

If that was the only other option, then yes. I don’t understand digging something up that’s long dead, that the title doesn’t match the new post and the desire to put it there. I literally can’t think of a single benefit of doing that. Please name one if I’m missing it. Putting a post in an old topic where it doesn’t belong does not lend legitimacy to it. 

i’ve mentioned this specifically before. Please put yourself in the shoes of an infrequent poster or someone who isn’t here all day. What do you think the user experience is when they see a topic from a month ago that states had Okposo and his contract. Do you think that they might expect to read something about his contract? Do you think they would be expecting new information on that subject? After all, someone dug it up for a reason right? What is their experience when they open it up, scroll through all the posts that they didn’t read a month ago, only to find a point comparison with Taylor Hall?  As a reader are you happy when that happens? Why did that reader have to go through that?

Most likely, the best option to just put it in Around the NHL. It’s literally the topic about minor NHL happenings that don’t deserve it’s own topic. 

As an infrequent poster or someone who isn't here all day, I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, SDS said:

I say this with respect and with no antagonism intended but I don't think an infrequent poster would care whether some responses technically relate to a topic or not. And I want to add that I appreciate the work you and others do to keep this site running well. Speaking for myself I get a lot of enjoyment participating in this forum and learning a lot about hockey from people who are much more knowledgeable. When all is said and done a little disorder like a little dust isn't worth being bothered by. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.