Hasek wants the NHL to Suspend the Russian Players!

GASabresIUFAN

No, not at all.

Many of them may totally disagree with what is going on, (as many may not) so why suspend them just for their nationality?

What do you want them to do to not get suspended? Many of them may fear for some kind of reprisal against their family back home if they speak out (it happens there).

its also a slippery slope.  I'm am NOT saying I agree with a lot of the opinions of people politically, but are we supposed to start suspending people by nationality just because someone else of their same nationality does something wrong? 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

No, not at all.

Many of them may totally disagree with what is going on, (as many may not) so why suspend them just for their nationality?

What do you want them to do to not get suspended? Many of them may fear for some kind of reprisal against their family back home if they speak out (it happens there).

its also a slippery slope.  I'm am NOT saying I agree with a lot of the opinions of people politically, but are we supposed to start suspending people by nationality just because someone else an evil tyrant of their same nationality does something wrong? 

totally agree   fify

go Sabres

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Hasek wants the NHL to Suspend the Russian Players!

A message needs to be sent.  I agree with Hasek.  It should happen, but it won't.

It's easier in Europe where there are playoffs being played for WC2022 later this month. 

The Polish National Team and Football Federation announced that they will not play their playoff against Russia.  Russia should be disqualified immediatly, if not sooner, and Poland should qualify by default.

The European Football Federation is working on a plan for Sweden versus Ukraine in another playoff.

The Champions League final will be played in Paris and not Moscow.

• Like (+1) 2

Hasek is angry and rightfully so. His earliest childhood memories would have been of the USSR invasion of Czechoslovakia to reassert control after they'd started instituting liberal/Western reforms. He's seeing history repeat itself and in a much grander/vicious scale this time around.

However, you don't suspend/ban individuals based on their place of birth (or their religion, political views, sexual orientation, etc.) because none of those should impact their play or camaraderie with their teammates or opponents. You would suspend them as individuals if their words/actions caused conduct detrimental to their team or league. So --- as a hypothetical example, if a Russian player were to make a throat-slashing gesture toward a Ukrainian player --- absolutely, tear up the contract and give him a multiyear ban from the NHL.

And yes, Russia should be banned from all global competitions for multiple years. No more changing of names, outright bans for several cycles of Olympics, World Cups, etc. There's a reason Putin waited until after the Olympics to start the invasion.

• Like (+1) 6

33 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

A message needs to be sent.  I agree with Hasek.  It should happen, but it won't.

It's easier in Europe where there are playoffs being played for WC2022 later this month. 

The Polish National Team and Football Federation announced that they will not play their playoff against Russia.  Russia should be disqualified immediatly, if not sooner, and Poland should qualify by default.

The European Football Federation is working on a plan for Sweden versus Ukraine in another playoff.

You agree that players should be suspended based on country of origin?

Now that is a real infringement on actual liberties.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I fully understand why the Champions League Final would be moved but I don't understand why you would punish athletes because of what their countries do. As an example do you think Lebron James has any say in what any of the presidents in his adulthood do or did?? You train your entire life to compete in some international competition and then you get cancelled because of some international incident. Let them compete but ban the flag, not the athlete. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

You agree that players should be suspended based on country of origin?

Now that is a real infringement on actual liberties.

What about the liberties of the people of Ukraine to live in peace.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

What about the liberties of the people of Ukaine to live in peace.

To answer your question, banning russian born players form the NHL, who may not have anything to do with this, from the NHL does NOTHING for the liberty of the people living in Ukraine. Nothing.

So you ban Russia as a nations from participating in tournaments, hockey, Soccer, anything.

You cancel the Russian GP in forumula one.  Anything sports related professional or otherwise where Russia as a nation is represented you don't allow or cancel.

But you do not ban someone or suspend someone from the NHL (or any other league) based on their nationality or the location of the plot of land they were born on.  That doesn't solve the problem, all that does is give people who want to blame 'someone' for what is going on a scapegoat, and the scapegoat here might very well agree with the position you have.

NOTE: I strongly support Ukraine and its people against this flagrant violation of their territorial sovereignty and freedom.  To paraphrase former VP Dick Cheney, the three most important things to remember about Vladimir Putin are K, G, and B.

I can understand Hasek's sentiment given what he saw and experienced as a child.  But I don't think that it is something one can do in America, even if a player were to speak out in favour of Putin and his actions.  When the American Nazi Party went to protest in a Jewish enclave in Skokie, Illinois (showing my age here...), they had an absolute right to do so, no matter how repulsive and provocative I though they were being.

Sometimes, our freedoms are inconvenient when they allow for speech we find disgusting or which is factually incorrect.  As someone who has often had to bring up uncomfortable and/or inconvenient facts, opinions, or points of view, I cherish this freedom, even when I and the majority don't like it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

how would we feel if Americans were being suspended due to our invasion of Iraq? At least with Ukraine there's a joint history involving the 2 nations. I don't agree with what Russia is doing & feel bad for all the victims & hope Ukraine survives. But lets not kid ourselves, usually when we go to war, its halfway around the world, under false pretenses & usually for some geopolitical reason in support of our global hegemony. We've lost a bit of our ability to grandstand about some morale high ground & thats a shame.

But we see how hard it is to affect change here with our government in America. What power do you think the average Russian has over what Putin does & their own? How easy has it been here to steer our leaders to the will of the People & we supposedly live in the Land of the Free? What do we expect a Russian to do? And a Russian hockey player at that? lol

Suspending athletes or hockey players from Russia who have no power at all over what their govt does seems like something an autocrat would do, kinda ironic since it'd be that behavior we'd be against in the 1st place lol. Ban hockey events from Russia, hurt the State, not the individual largely powerless in all this is what i say.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

What about the liberties of the people of Ukraine to live in peace.

How does suspending Alex Ovechikin change that, or affect it in any way?

The only people affected by suspending Ovie is Ovie.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I can understand Hasek's sentiment given what he saw and experienced as a child. 

Although I understand your sentiment in this post, the above happened when he was 3 years old. He doesn't remember much if anything about this time period. He's entitled to his opinion on things but don't make excuses for him.

18 minutes ago, jsb said:

Although I understand your sentiment in this post, the above happened when he was 3 years old. He doesn't remember much if anything about this time period. He's entitled to his opinion on things but don't make excuses for him.

It's not just the actual experience. That invasion in 1968 is a flashpoint and part of the national identity of then-Czechoslovakia. That informs his entire childhood and adolescence. Jagr wasn't even born yet but he wears 68. The Czech Republic gold medal in Nagano (over Russia) has a very special meaning to that nation and its people.

• Like (+1) 2

You cannot exclude a player based on Their Nationality. If the IHFF wants to take steps to ban Russian Teams from competing in The Worlds or WJCs absolutely. 

There is a meeting of the IHFF on Monday to discuss moving the World Championships and WJC out of Russia in 2023 to other locations. 

This should happen without a second thought

• Like (+1) 1

I'm am in full support of the Ukraine and it's people.  

I also agree that no Russian athletic team should be allowed to participate in any tournament anywhere in the world as long as they hold any territory that belongs to the Ukraine including Crimea.  

However, the Russian athletes in the NHL are not making war.  They are here legally and should be allowed to remain and play. 

The caveat here is open support for Putin.  What do you do then?  

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I also agree that no Russian athletic team should be allowed to participate in any tournament anywhere in the world as long as they hold any territory that belongs to the Ukraine including Crimea.  

However, the Russian athletes in the NHL are not making war.  They are here legally and should be allowed to remain and play. 

The Russians also still hold Georgian territory as well.

The bar IMHO for whether an individual player (or any particular non-citizen for that matter) should be allowed to remain in country or not is whether that player is in the country legally & whether the player is acting as an undeclared agent for a foreign government.  If the answers to those 2 questions are 'yes' and 'no' in that order, then don't see a reason to prevent that player from earning a living in this country.

Hasek is allowed his opinion, those they disagree w/ his are also entitled to theirs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Russians also still hold Georgian territory as well.

The bar IMHO for whether an individual player (or any particular non-citizen for that matter) should be allowed to remain in country or not is whether that player is in the country legally & whether the player is acting as an undeclared agent for a foreign government.  If the answers to those 2 questions are 'yes' and 'no' in that order, then don't see a reason to prevent that player from earning a living in this country.

Hasek is allowed his opinion, those they disagree w/ his are also entitled to theirs.

I don't really see to many Russian's here.  🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We are in America. If a Russian player or any player in the NHL voiced support for Putin and the incursion then that is his/their right to express their thoughts. That's what distinguishes our society compared to autocratic societies where if one voices opposing opinions the person suffers for them. We have a former president and Sec. of State (Pompeo) making some inexplicable Putin supporting statements. As much as I and most others disagree with their distasteful views they are entitled to express them. 

I do agree with you that no Russian team should be allowed to participate in tournaments in the world or hold events in their country. It's my opinion that Russia should not have been allowed to participate in the Olympics because of the systemic cheating by the Russian Olympic Committe. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.