Annual NHL Swap Meet Has Begun - Transactions listed Here! (Trade deadline 03/21/22 @ 3pm ET)

GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1493327963957477384?s=20&t=9abyBG7XHSRNPqud5SRNlQ

LOL. The 6th round pick that Botts deemed wasn’t worthy of an ELC. What a joke Botts was.

Botterill’s anti CHL bias sucked 

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hagel played a gritty game which Buffalo was desperate for at the time. Even if he didn’t have decent junior numbers he was worth the flyer. He did have good junior numbers though too so it was an absolute head scratcher.

He wasn’t drafted by Botterill because Botterill has never and would never draft a CHL player post round 1. That he wouldn’t sign another GM’s draftee from that spot isn’t surprising, as wrong as he was

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hagel played a gritty game which Buffalo was desperate for at the time. Even if he didn’t have decent junior numbers he was worth the flyer. He did have good junior numbers though too so it was an absolute head scratcher.

He was 160 usually players like that aren't successful at the next level with them trying to increase weight. 

Lots of gms would have done the same 

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He was 160 usually players like that aren't successful at the next level with them trying to increase weight. 

Even if all he was going to amount to was a good AHL player you still sign him. You have to have depth in the organization.

Botts was a bad GM and this was just one example of it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

…but the same off-season they let Hagel walk, they brought back Glotov who was probably around the same weight, and never showed anything in camp. 

I didn’t like it then, and I hate it now.  Botts really screwed up on Hagel. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

…but the same off-season they let Hagel walk, they brought back Glotov who was probably around the same weight, and never showed anything in camp. 

I didn’t like it then, and I hate it now.  Botts really screwed up on Hagel. 

I wonder if Hagel didn’t want to sign here?

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

I wonder if Hagel didn’t want to sign here?

It is almost unheard of for  6th round CHL pick to decline a contract offer.

By that, I mean I've never heard of it happening. It's rare enough with college guys. And the ones that do we hear about forever.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It is almost unheard of for  6th round CHL pick to decline a contract offer.

By that, I mean I've never heard of it happening. It's rare enough with college guys. And the ones that do we hear about forever.

A looooong time ago (prior to the salary cap), recall a couple of 4th/5th rounders going back into the draft because they'd really taken off & ended up becoming 1st rounders.  (Names escaping at present.)  That's rare enough, but to have a 6th rounder not sign to reenter the draft & then go undrafted and THEN actually become a useful player is rather unique.

Adams said on the WGR pregame he will be talking to his free agents on the next road trip to gauge where their heads are at.

Brought up the possibility of trading some UFAs that he is still interested in bringing back next year.

Pysyk and Anderson would be the prime candidates to my mind.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams said on the WGR pregame he will be talking to his free agents on the next road trip to gauge where their heads are at.

Brought up the possibility of trading some UFAs that he is still interested in bringing back next year.

Pysyk and Anderson would be the prime candidates to my mind.

Have never understood why more teams didn't follow the old St. Louis trick of agreeing to contract terms for the following year & then trading away Tkachuk in a year they weren't going to make the playoffs.  He gets to play in the playoffs after a few year absense & then St. Louis gets him back the next year plus they had the assets he brought back.  Win-win-win.

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Have never understood why more teams didn't follow the old St. Louis trick of agreeing to contract terms for the following year & then trading away Tkachuk in a year they weren't going to make the playoffs.  He gets to play in the playoffs after a few year absense & then St. Louis gets him back the next year plus they had the assets he brought back.  Win-win-win.

Technically that would be tampering and potentially collusion. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would that not be contrary to the current CBA?  Different times back then.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Technically that would be tampering and potentially collusion. 

No, it wouldn't.  Teams are allowed to negotiate with players they hold the negotiating rights to.  They can't extend players on 1 year deals until after January 1st & can't extend players on multi-year deals until the last league year that the contract carries through has begun.

There is nothing to say they can't reach a gentleman's agreement.  If that player gets traded, that gentleman's agreement can't be for more than 7 years.  Also, there is nothing keeping the acquiring team from making a more enticing offer than the original offer & if the player signs the deal there is nothing the original team can do about it.

Now, if the original team gave the player something tangible to get him to honor the handshake deal, THAT would be tampering.  But just talking is not illegal under the CBA nor the MOU.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, Taro T said:

We did just that Matty Moulson.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, Taro T said:

A looooong time ago (prior to the salary cap), recall a couple of 4th/5th rounders going back into the draft because they'd really taken off & ended up becoming 1st rounders.  (Names escaping at present.)  That's rare enough, but to have a 6th rounder not sign to reenter the draft & then go undrafted and THEN actually become a useful player is rather unique.

That’s not how the system works now.  Unsigned players don’t go back into the draft.  They just become FAs.

Hagel did not go back into the draft and go undrafted.  The blackhawks just signed him after Buffalo didn’t.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s not how the system works now.  Unsigned players don’t go back into the draft.  They just become FAs.

Hagel did not go back into the draft and go undrafted.  The blackhawks just signed him after Buffalo didn’t.

They can go back into the draft

hagel went undrafted btw

Edited by Buffalonill

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

No, the MOU did not change draft eligibility.

If a player playing in Juniors is drafted but goes unsigned for 2 years, he reenters the draft.  Pretty sure a 21 yo reentering the draft needs to be signed in that next year or he becomes a UFA, but 18 your don't become FA's by simply avoiding signing a contract for 2 years.

And, yes, Hagel went undrafted before Chicago signed him.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If a player playing in Juniors is drafted but goes unsigned for 2 years, he reenters the draft.  Pretty sure a 21 yo reentering the draft needs to be signed in that next year or he becomes a UFA, but 18 your don't become FA's by simply avoiding signing a contract for 2 years.

He was in Montreal first and got signed 15 games in with red deer by Chicago 

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

They can go back into the draft

hagel went undrafted btw

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hmm, I stand corrected.  I thought I remembered that that had changed at some point.  My apologies.

I don’t recall a player who went unsigned by his original team, went back into the draft, and was then actually drafted.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/15/2022 at 12:49 PM, Flashsabre said:

https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1493327963957477384?s=20&t=9abyBG7XHSRNPqud5SRNlQ

LOL. The 6th round pick that Botts deemed wasn’t worthy of an ELC. What a joke Botts was.

But Terrance said Botts is the only one to win a college something something, and another something something, and a Stanley something something.  

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hmm, I stand corrected.  I thought I remembered that that had changed at some point.  My apologies.

I don’t recall a player who went unsigned by his original team, went back into the draft, and was then actually drafted.

Buffalo drafted two of them 🙂 .

And one is the starting goaltender for buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.