Sabres 3rd worst team in regards to Man Games Lost to Injury since 2010-2011 - something is broken, what can be done to fix it?

matter2003

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think the stats are skewed because of a few players. You take out Anderson and Tokarski and Mitts, then the rest looks pretty normal. 

Wait, are you saying the numbers aren’t really that bad because both starting goalies and the 1C have been out pretty much the whole year? 😳

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Wait, are you saying the numbers aren’t really that bad because both starting goalies and the 1C have been out pretty much the whole year? 😳

Both the starting goalies is a fluke more than anything else. COVID and a neck shot. No training or medical response will help them recover or stop those injuries.

What did Mitts have surgery on? Maybe he didn't do enough chin ups?

On 1/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, Dreams Burn Down said:

The fact that the time period displayed includes the worst continuous stretch of futility in this franchise's history cannot be coincidental.  Lack of talent, poor medical staff, and mismanagement from the top (and more?) are all contributing factors.  Since the same ownership controls the Sabres and Bills, and the Bills seem to "get it" in this area, emulating their approach and applying it to an ice hockey environment would seem to be a cost effective way to begin.

The bills make money... I'm not really sure the Sabres have during this entire stretch.  It's hard to justify millions of dollars in training staff, equipment, facilities - when it is hitting an already negative bottom line.  The stadium itself is probably among the worst facilities in the league as well.  

Starting to question the Sabres conditioning and rehab programs… All teams have injuries, but seems like we have more and rehab longer… I’m sure the data guys have stats on games lost to injury for each team and each player… Would love to see those…

What do the stats add up to for the season with the Sabres?

The only player that I've really missed seeing this season so far is Mittelstadt just because it was (and is) a great year for us to see what he is (without Eichel and Reinhart taking the ice time).  He was hurt right off the start of the season so I would think his conditioning would be at it's highest (and therefore no a factor in the injury).

Anderson is disappointing too but as an older goalie it was predictable that he may need some downtime.

Biggest frustration for me has been the secrecy in what the injury is UBI / LBI and the amount of time expected for recovery (day to day / week to week / month to month).  I know they say they keep it secret so that other players don't target the injury when a player returns but the truth is most likely that all the players know and it's just the fans left in the dark guessing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Starting to question the Sabres conditioning and rehab programs… All teams have injuries, but seems like we have more and rehab longer… I’m sure the data guys have stats on games lost to injury for each team and each player… Would love to see those…

Found this

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=show+me+how+many+man+games+lost+nhl+teams+have+in+2021-2022

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Found this

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=show+me+how+many+man+games+lost+nhl+teams+have+in+2021-2022

Good question… but don’t see Games Lost to Injury in this Chart… League must keep it… Players Association must keep it… Team Data Gurus must keep it… Hard to come by for fans…

• Like (+1) 1

Good chart… So, if I’m reading this correctly, only Montreal has lost more games to injury… and the quality of our players lost to injury (size of the bubble) is among the worst in the league…

Just bad luck??… Drafting/Signing injury prone players??… Weak Conditioning program??… Overly-cautious Rehab program??… 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

We’ve seen players go out with injuries that become long injuries for the entire duration of the Era of Suckitude.  My theory is the team is consciously choosing to not rush them back because winning isn’t a priority.

Makes sense… Certainly for core top prospects like Mittelstadt… but consciously slowing the return of players because we are rebuilding… only contributes to losing… Like Anderson… Upper body injury… Out over two months with no surgery… Starts practicing… yet Granato says he wants Anderson to set a “self-imposed deadline” to return to play… Why the kid glove treatment when we are in desperate need of goaltending??… No urgency by either the player or management??… Weak, if you ask me… 

25 minutes ago, Believer said:

Makes sense… Certainly for core top prospects like Mittelstadt… but consciously slowing the return of players because we are rebuilding… only contributes to losing… Like Anderson… Upper body injury… Out over two months with no surgery… Starts practicing… yet Granato says he wants Anderson to set a “self-imposed deadline” to return to play… Why the kid glove treatment when we are in desperate need of goaltending??… No urgency by either the player or management??… Weak, if you ask me… 

Anderson had a neck injury. Idk why letting the 40 year old veteran decide when he's comfortable with that, is weak. 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

13 hours ago, Believer said:
14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Found this

Good question… but don’t see Games Lost to Injury in this Chart… League must keep it… Players Association must keep it… Team Data Gurus must keep it… Hard to come by for fans…

Yep. The question is right but the answer is wrong. its just losses.

Casey missed 36 games with a wrist injury(?)

Anderson has missed 34 games from a puck to the neck/throat.

Tokarski has missed 21 games from covid.

That is 91 man games lost not because of lack of skill, conditioning or medical staff. If the Sabres are to be snake bit this is the year.

To date they have a total of 265 man games lost. If you take out the 91 from these three players they are at 174 man games lost and middle of the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, woods-racer said:

Casey missed 36 games with a wrist injury(?)

Anderson has missed 34 games from a puck to the neck/throat.

Tokarski has missed 21 games from covid.

That is 91 man games lost not because of lack of skill, conditioning or medical staff. If the Sabres are to be snake bit this is the year.

To date they have a total of 265 man games lost. If you take out the 91 from these three players they are at 174 man games lost and middle of the league.

I wouldn’t call it unpredictable that Anderson wouldn’t last the season. Evidence being: I predicted it.

The injury itself could be beyond the team’s control but the decision to acquire a player where that was a more likely result *was*. It’s the overarching decision making process that bears questioning there, rather than some idea that medical staff did wrong by Anderson

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

I wouldn’t call it unpredictable that Anderson wouldn’t last the season. Evidence being: I predicted it.

The injury itself could be beyond the team’s control but the decision to acquire a player where that was a more likely result *was*. It’s the overarching decision making process that bears questioning there, rather than some idea that medical staff did wrong by Anderson

I absolutely agree with you that Anderson wasn't a full time starter at his age and he wasn't go to last the season. I expected him to miss an occasional week here or there, or a road trip for maybe a total of 15 games over the entire season. He was durable up until he got hit with a puck in the neck, you did not predict that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.