Sabres 3rd worst team in regards to Man Games Lost to Injury since 2010-2011 - something is broken, what can be done to fix it?

matter2003

Surprisingly, Pittsburgh is 2nd, but the Sabres have a long history of having high numbers of injuries and longer recovery times.  What is causing it?  Can something be done about it?  

Is it a training issue?  Do they not let players get proper treatment for their injuries or issue to try nd prevent them from occurring? Are they too reactive rather than proactive?  Do they not follow the proper workout regimens that end up leading to increased injuries? Nutrition issues?  Not utilizing the Pegula's investment in the most cutting edge sports science to their advantage like the Bills have under McDermott, where they are always in the bottom 5 in man games lost to injury?

Clearly to be this consistently poor in an area, something isn't being done properly to help prevent them. There is no way over a 10+ year period a team can regularly be this injury prone.  

What is the solution?

image.thumb.png.80a9f4dd9590c867b04029c122a74631.png

• Like (+1) 2

The fact that the time period displayed includes the worst continuous stretch of futility in this franchise's history cannot be coincidental.  Lack of talent, poor medical staff, and mismanagement from the top (and more?) are all contributing factors.  Since the same ownership controls the Sabres and Bills, and the Bills seem to "get it" in this area, emulating their approach and applying it to an ice hockey environment would seem to be a cost effective way to begin.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

The fact that the time period displayed includes the worst continuous stretch of futility in this franchise's history cannot be coincidental.  Lack of talent, poor medical staff, and mismanagement from the top (and more?) are all contributing factors.  Since the same ownership controls the Sabres and Bills, and the Bills seem to "get it" in this area, emulating their approach and applying it to an ice hockey environment would seem to be a cost effective way to begin.

Correlation does not equal causation.

That said, I think this year is bad luck. Most injuries have been on ice stuff, it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Surprisingly, Pittsburgh is 2nd, but the Sabres have a long history of having high numbers of injuries and longer recovery times.  What is causing it?  Can something be done about it?  

Is it a training issue?  Do they not let players get proper treatment for their injuries or issue to try nd prevent them from occurring? Are they too reactive rather than proactive?  Do they not follow the proper workout regimens that end up leading to increased injuries? Nutrition issues?  Not utilizing the Pegula's investment in the most cutting edge sports science to their advantage like the Bills have under McDermott, where they are always in the bottom 5 in man games lost to injury?

Clearly to be this consistently poor in an area, something isn't being done properly to help prevent them. There is no way over a 10+ year period a team can regularly be this injury prone.  

What is the solution?

image.thumb.png.80a9f4dd9590c867b04029c122a74631.png

I saw somewhere else this morning a similar chart that went back over a decade.  It showed the Sabres were middle of the pack and not that they were injury prone over a 10+ year period.

One other thing that might be a factor: the Sabres are out of contention early. Perhaps they have some players with injuries that they might play through in different circumstances. I'm not saying that any specific injured player on the team could have played or could now play with their injury; but in this of all seasons, there is no great reason to play hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is a good point. Persistently trying to make up for lack of skill, just trying to keep up in general, probably is more likely to get you injured than just being better than other players and teams and being able to dictate pace 

But I thought they weren’t putting in enough effort?

Not intended seriously folks…….

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

Yup. I love the OP in combined with this post - it’s statistically inarguable the Sabres have been worse off relatively than other teams when it comes to injury, and for a trend to be that clearly established for such a long time makes randomness unlikely (along with the fact that Mike Harrington thinks it’s random which pretty much seals that as being not the case). 

The good news is once we get better talent, the injuries should improve too. Talent on the ice and off the ice.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Correlation does not equal causation.

That said, I think this year is bad luck. Most injuries have been on ice stuff, it happens.

I like that this post now has two frowns

type set GIF

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup. I love the OP in combined with this post - it’s statistically inarguable the Sabres have been worse off relatively than other teams when it comes to injury, and for a trend to be that clearly established for such a long time makes randomness unlikely (along with the fact that Mike Harrington thinks it’s random which pretty much seals that as being not the case). 

The good news is once we get better talent, the injuries should improve too. Talent on the ice and off the ice.

No,  no it doesn't. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

No I love that a post saying correlation doesn't equal causation is getting hate.

No one cares dude. Your assertion that randomness doesn’t become more unlikely the longer a trend is established is abjectly false 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Is that a joke? Lol

The longer a trend is established the less likely it can be attributed to randomness. This is basic mathematics

What do you attribute it to then. 

Just now, Thorny said:

No one cares dude. Your assertion that randomness doesn’t become more unlikely the longer a trend is established is abjectly false 

Cool dude. Also that's not my argument. 

If you flip a coin 50 times and it comes up heads 50 times, while statistically possible it’s random it’s exceptionally more likely there’s something causing the coin to do so. Be it weighted, or otherwise. That’s because something happening randomly that many times in a row is basically impossible

Just now, Thorny said:

If you flip a coin 50 times and it comes up heads 50 times, while statistically possible it’s random it’s exceptionally more likely there’s something causing the coin to do so. Be it weighted, or otherwise. That’s because something happening randomly that many times in a row is basically impossible

Yea, but you can't define what variables contribute to the Sabres injuries can you?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, but you can't define what variables contribute to the Sabres injuries can you?

I’ve never claimed to be able to define it. We’ve talked about this a lot. Recently I’ve said taro’s idea that it comes down to talent seems to have the most merit

I definitely can’t define the variables with certainty, merely expressing confidence they are indeed present: it’s not random. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’ve never claimed to be able to define it. We’ve talked about this a lot. Recently I’ve said taro’s idea that it comes down to talent seems to have the most merit

I definitely can’t define the variables with certainty, merely expressing confidence they are indeed present: it’s not random. 

If the variable is constantly changing, then yes it is. 

23 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

This was what I originally responded to. 

Correlation does not equal causation. Fire away at that. I think it's funny. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the variable is constantly changing, then yes it is. 

So 11 different variables, one for each season, each one randomly arising and affecting the same team each of those years just by chance, and not something influenced by the team or it’s construction 

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Someday, I am going to compute the p value for various things like how well man games due to injury correlate to points percentage just to end arguments like these.

That would be great.  I was more apt to use the Pearson r in my day, but that would work very well in this scenario, too.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Someday, I am going to compute the p value for various things like how well man games due to injury correlate to points percentage just to end arguments like these.

There’s always one guy that wants to ruin everyone else’s fun.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.