Confirmed by Corey Pronman Owen Power selected for the Canadian Olympic Team

Brawndo

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I mean with a half baked version of team Canada, is it really worth it?

All the teams will be half baked, countries like Germany will have more of a chance.

Sweden, Finland, Canada, USA, Russia, Czech republic, Those are the countries missing their best players.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

All the teams will be half baked, countries like Germany will have more of a chance.

Sweden, Finland, Canada, USA, Russia, Czech republic, Those are the countries missing their best players.

Are they Russia this time or “Generic Country because we keep getting Caught Cheating” again this Olympics?😀

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You didn't read what I was responding to. It was about them not returning to college after the Olympics. 

Yes I did.  I can still see where they would give up the rest of their college seasons if it meant playing in the Olympics.  I get what you're saying though...

I thought the biggest concern by NHL players was that they could get caught "stuck" over there after the games were over waiting to be clear of Covid before they could leave the country.  I'm surprised that Power and Levi and others would not have the same concerns.  Power should be looking forward to signing his first contract which for a rookie is capped (meaning his performance can't improve his 1st contract).

I am normally pretty patriotic but this year's Olympics are not exciting me (maybe they will push it out a year - who knows).

15 minutes ago, Digger said:

I thought the biggest concern by NHL players was that they could get caught "stuck" over there after the games were over waiting to be clear of Covid before they could leave the country.  I'm surprised that Power and Levi and others would not have the same concerns.  Power should be looking forward to signing his first contract which for a rookie is capped (meaning his performance can't improve his 1st contract).

I am normally pretty patriotic but this year's Olympics are not exciting me (maybe they will push it out a year - who knows).

Actually, minor technical correction, while the ELC is capped, for the top draft picks performance goes a long way towards total salary as those contracts are some of the very few that can include performance bonuses.  And those bonuses can take his gross from under $1MM to just under $3MM.

Now, if what you meant was his play in Beijing (should he go) or in An Arbor won't affect his deal, that's true.  He'll get the rookie max & eligibility for every achievable bonus a D-man can be eligible to earn.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Actually, minor technical correction, while the ELC is capped, for the top draft picks performance goes a long way towards total salary as those contracts are some of the very few that can include performance bonuses.  And those bonuses can take his gross from under $1MM to just under $3MM.

Now, if what you meant was his play in Beijing (should he go) or in An Arbor won't affect his deal, that's true.  He'll get the rookie max & eligibility for every achievable bonus a D-man can be eligible to earn.

Yes that's what I meant bolded text above.  He won't earn a bigger contract by playing in the Olympics but he will take some extra risk to actually go.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Friedman and Pronman also listed a whole bunch of non-eligible NHLers.

No, Dreger and Wheeler did. And they specified that it was the long list of players Team Canada was considering as opposed to players who were going.

Not aimed at you specifically, and not forgiving shoddy reporting, but I think part of the issue people have with media is the telephone game that occurs after something gets reported.

Friedman’s exact quote for reference check when the future announcement comes down.

”After the Channel One Cup in Russia last month, Canadians Jason Demers and Eric Fehr signed KHL contracts. So assume they will be part of the Olympic team if they wish. Include those on AHL-only contracts like Devan Dubnyk, Cody Franson and Josh Ho-Sang. There is some question about whether or not players on two-way deals will be allowed to go. Others to watch: I’m betting a request goes out for Mason McTavish to gauge his interest. Same for Eric Staal and Cole Perfetti. I wondered about Patrick Marleau, but have heard he is not on the long list as a possibility. Owen Power is going.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-nhl-faces-tight-scheduling-finish-season-time/

And the Athletic:

Owen Power will join Team Canada's Olympic men's hockey team for the upcoming games in Beijing, China, The Athletic's Corey Pronman has confirmed. Power is the first name announced to Team Canada's roster since the NHL said it would be pulling out of the Olympics on Dec. 22

https://theathletic.com/news/owen-power-to-join-canadas-olympic-team-cole-perfetti-eric-staal-among-those-on-long-list-source/dNZEmWE0Buvw/

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.