Has Brett Murray made the team?

dudacek

Murray came up as an injury replacement for Caggiula.

Caggiula is skating again and coming back off IR soon. When he’s back and the COVID list is cleared we will have 16 healthy forwards (Tuch, Tage, Skinner,  VO, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Hayden, Eakin, Hinostroza, Murray, Bjork, Cozens, Girgensons, Caggiula, Jankowski) when we only carry 13 or 14.

Murray has 2 goals and 6 points in 15 games, mostly in a bottom 6 role. He and Krebs are the only 2 who are waiver ineligible.

Has he done enough to send somebody to the waiver wire?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think they’ll send Krebs back, saying they want him to develop with the other young players. Or they might waive Jankowski figuring no one will pick him up. So I think Murray will stay by default, but still has to prove himself for future years.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Caggiula is skating again and coming back off IR soon. When he’s back and the COVID list is cleared we will have 16 healthy forwards (Tuch, Tage, Skinner,  VO, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Hayden, Eakin, Hinostroza, Murray, Bjork, Cozens, Girgensons, Caggiula, Jankowski) when we only carry 13 or 14.

Murray has 2 goals and 6 points in 15 games, mostly in a bottom 6 role. He and Krebs are the only 2 who are waiver ineligible.

I would think that Murray's physical presence, of which we have very little, would be enough to keep him here at least a bit longer.  His ability to chip in offensively, to me, is simply a bonus.  I like what I've seen from him.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Isn't there a taxi squad now ?   Can put Eakin, Caggiula, Bjork, Hayden there before him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Murray has made this team. Send Krebs down or don’t.  Personally I’d keep Jankowski, Murray and Krebs over Bjork, Hayden, Caggiula or Eakin.  Hayden followed by Bjork should be the first 2 voted off the island.  

Murray 15gp 2g  4a 6 pts -1

Hayden 26 gp 0g 2a 2 pts -4

Caggiula 23gp 2g 3a 5pts -4

Bjork 29gp 4g 1a 5pts -6

Eakin 28 gp 3g 5a -8

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Murray has made this team. Send Krebs down or don’t.  Personally I’d keep Jankowski, Murray and Krebs over Bjork, Hayden, Caggiula or Eakin.  Hayden followed by Bjork should be the first 2 voted off the island.  

See this is what I mean when I say not talented enough. Hayden, Eakin, Bjork all need to be replaced at minimum. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

See this is what I mean when I say not talented enough. Hayden, Eakin, Bjork all need to be replaced at minimum. 

They are the definition of bad team roster filler. Tank fodder.  I said in camp that none of these guys should have made the team ahead of Murray and they shouldn’t stay on the team ahead of Murray now.  At this point I’d rather keep both Jankowski and Krebs up rather then keep playing Eakin or Bjork. However KA/DG likely want Eakin here to win PK and PP draws.  No one else on the team is at 50%.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Is Krebs ELC already kicked in?  Did he play his 9 games with Vegas last year?

He played 4, but Krebs is 20 so the slide no longer applies, regardless.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I hope so, for some reason I like him and he seems willing to go to the dirty areas on the ice to make a difference.  I like having some size in the lineup to challenge the opposing team's defense (just like our opponents seem to have no trouble out-muscling our defense).  He seems to be developing at the NHL level.  I would favor keeping him vs. the more expensive players like Bjork or Eakin.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres have been largely making choices based on what’s best for player development rather than what’s best on the ice right now. 

Does Brett have more to learn in Rochester? Or is he better off learning and building confidence in the NHL?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I hope so, for some reason I like him and he seems willing to go to the dirty areas on the ice to make a difference.  I like having some size in the lineup to challenge the opposing team's defense (just like our opponents seem to have no trouble out-muscling our defense).  He seems to be developing at the NHL level.  I would favor keeping him vs. the more expensive players like Bjork or Eakin.  

Can anyone show me when this has happened? I watch games and I just don't see this very often. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can anyone show me when this has happened? I watch games and I just don't see this very often. 

I think Butcher is the only one who really struggles in this area.

Dahlin’s issues in this area this year are overstated. jokiharju Bryson and Pysyk compensate most of the time with positioning and skill, but it does happen.

But none of them are good in these situations. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think Butcher is the only one who really struggles in this area.

Dahlin’s issues in this area this year are overstated. jokiharju Bryson and Pysyk compensate most of the time with positioning and skill, but it does happen.

But none of them are good in these situations. 

I agree on Butcher. I just don't see them getting out muscled very often, it's more of a out positioned because of superior skill. 

Bryson is actually small so I can see him getting outmatched around the net in battles of strength. Same for Butcher. I think Joker has been fine and Pysyk problem is not challenging players entering the zone. 

Fitzgerald also seems a little undersized even though he's gritty. 

Any player that is eligible to be sent down with no waiver wire eligibility needs to go. The *kids* staying on the big club are not going to make this team playoff bound. Let them grow and have fun and make mistakes where they should be. Win in Rochester and bring the swagger to the big club when it's the right time. We've waited 10 years, what is another 6 months?

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Any player that is eligible to be sent down with no waiver wire eligibility needs to go. The *kids* staying on the big club are not going to make this team playoff bound. Let them grow and have fun and make mistakes where they should be. Win in Rochester and bring the swagger to the big club when it's the right time. We've waited 10 years, what is another 6 months?

So we should send Murray down because he can be sent down despite his proving that he is a capable and effective NHL player? I have an idea, lets get rid of the bad hockey players on the Sabres and build a good team.  That starts with getting rid of the Haydens, Eakins, and Butchers etc... and replacing them asap with better guys whether they are internal or external candidates.  How about we send Hayden down to the minors and let him play where he belongs and leave Murray where he is.  Players can develop and learn in the NHL.   

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So we should send Murray down because he can be sent down despite his proving that he is a capable and effective NHL player? I have an idea, lets get rid of the bad hockey players on the Sabres and build a good team.  That starts with getting rid of the Haydens, Eakins, and Butchers etc... and replacing them asap with better guys whether they are internal or external candidates.  How about we send Hayden down to the minors and let him play where he belongs and leave Murray where he is.  Players can develop and learn in the NHL.   

You know darn well what players are in their early 20's and could use some seasoning. Starting a fight over mid 20 year olds and who is better is better is fools play.

28 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

You know darn well what players are in their early 20's and could use some seasoning. Starting a fight over mid 20 year olds and who is better is better is fools play.

You don’t leave guys in the minors just because of age and then poof they are ready for the NHL. It just doesn’t work like that.  Go look at the histories of Campbell, Roy, Pominville, Asplund, Thompson and many others.  Most prospects go up and down a few times as they adjust to the speed of the NHL.  There is no one book on player development.  It’s not linear and goes in fits and spurts.  Development also happens at the NHL.  If Krebs makes this team better now, I have zero problem with him playing the remainder of the season in Buffalo developing chemistry with the guys he’ll be centering next season.  If KA and the management team want him to go down and get playoff experience, I’m fine with that to.  

What I’m not fine with leaving guys in Rochester just because, like they are doing with Samuelsson or playing guys in situations that hurts their development or doesn’t maximize their skill set such as putting scoring forwards like R2 with JAGs like Hayden and Caggiula. The goal with development should always be to put guys in the best position to succeed while also challenging them to get better.  Samuelsson has nothing left to prove in Rochester.  Leaving him there when he is ready to replace a terrible player like Butcher makes no sense at all. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

idk what "made the team" with this roster really means as it'll be a different roster after the deadline and next year I assume but I liked the Murray Cozens Okposo line and would like it back for the rest of the year . 

Murray makes a line better as he offers a different style and skill set from most of our players. He's no star, and I'd definitely like to see him play more aggressively and with more of an edge, but I'd keep him for now anyway. Put that big body in front of the net often. He just needs to hit some people though. Tage is getting away with a skill game using his reach but Murray is less skilled so he HAS to use his size more. 

Bjork and Caggiula can just go away as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like (+1) 2