GDT: Sabres @ Penguins, Nov. 16, 2021, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Most unworthy. I haven’t seen as bad a period of hockey as that third period in years. Wish I had a nickel for every poor decision. I won’t even mention their complete lack of poise, either. Just a terrible display. 

Except for Toker. 

2pts, goaltender stands on head. Film to watch and lots to clean up & fix in 3rd. 🐧 started playing big boy hockey in 3rd. Gotta learn and pick it up - young and hungry TEAM for Donny Meatballs. Rather learn in a win….

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

...he’s a smoker

he’s a midnight Toker. 

Great game by Toker. These boys got heart. I think that culture change KA likes to talk about has shifted this team already. They play for each other. I highly doubt there are any separate  factions within the room. That third was a nail biter and we were heavily outshot but honestly I still felt the guys would win. Really enjoyed the effort.

You can see chemistry.  When Mitts, VO, Tuch, and Joker come back they too will need to blend in.  These four players should help us put together another scoring line and a better PP.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

Amazing what a little decent goaltending can do for you .

Somehow this team has to learn to step it up in 3rd periods though. They brought the intensity period 3 and we were flat. This does not bode well for later in the year. Dahlin was horrific in the 3rd and just looked confused. 

Also question who was out there at the end. Like we couldn't decide if we wanted to play PP or PK. imo that was a mess. 

Still, all a big bag of whatever cause we won, and that is satisfying. 

Even a little push back around the net, nice to see. We have things to improve on, but we look like a hockey team now. It's a start. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

2pts, goaltender stands on head. Film to watch and lots to clean up & fix in 3rd. 🐧 started playing big boy hockey in 3rd. Gotta learn and pick it up - young and hungry TEAM for Donny Meatballs. Rather learn in a win….

I mean, it didn’t seem like they learned from their performance in the final 4ish minutes against Toronto the other night. We let teams dictate things far too much.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

They got caught up in the frenzy and made bad decisions with puck management.  This is a team going through a change in culture and mentality.  The third period was a test and learning point.  Hopefully they grow as a team and individuals from it.

I get the same impression.  It seems to me they are not playing back as much as not playing smart.  It seems mental and not purposeful.

I want to see if coaching can change this in the future.  It would help this team a lot if they can.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Most unworthy. I haven’t seen as bad a period of hockey as that third period in years. Wish I had a nickel for every poor decision. I won’t even mention their complete lack of poise, either. Just a terrible display. 

Except for Toker. 

Sabres have played hard with good results in the 1st two periods almost all season. Then run out of gas in the 3rd. As a coach what do you do when the hard play is getting the lead. 

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You can see chemistry.  When Mitts, VO, Tuch, and Joker come back they too will need to blend in.  These four players should helps put together another scoring line and a better PP.  

this right here is why I’m excited.  Big effort game from the team and we should only get better when these guys are in the lineup 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You can see chemistry.  When Mitts, VO, Tuch, and Joker come back they too will need to blend in.  These four players should help us put together another scoring line and a better PP.  

Those three would look nice on a line together tbh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Just imagine VO Mitts Tuch replacing

Bjork Ruots Hayden

Just Imagine😀

Personally, I'm putting VO back with Tage and going Skinner Mitts Tuch. I just see that as a better fit, and although Skinner has been ok with Tage's line, I think the original VO Tage Asplund line was better. 

I would caution the Mitts excitement though. I need to see it before I'm convinced he's actually a top center. The body of work is quite small at this point. 

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

How about Krebs, Peterka, and Quinn for the Drake, Eakin, and another JAG of your choice?

not yet. 

• Like (+1) 2

Color me concerned about Don Granato.    This is already 3 or 4 games in this young season where they've been severely outplayed in the third after holding a lead.    

So far he hasn't shown the ability to make in game adjustments to counter the onslaught.   

• Haha (+1) 1

What was Crosby's TOI in the third?

It seemed like he was out there every shift.

Letang (that's French for The Tang), too.

Just now, pi2000 said:

Color me concerned about Don Granato.    This is already 3 or 4 games in this young season where they've been severely outplayed in the third after holding a lead.    

So far he hasn't shown the ability to make in game adjustments to counter the onslaught.   

You know they don't have as much talent as their opponents, right?

The fact that they had a lead at all should be "the lead."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The bad 3rd periods seem to happen much more on the road.  Could be matchups.  Put VO, Mitts, Tuch, and Joker out there and we should hold up better.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

image.png

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If they keep playing the way they are, I definitely would bring them up mid season.

I think you're dead wrong on this. I want them to play the full season in Rochester. We can call them up end of the year for look sees but that's about it. They are fixing this team and the culture, but we need to be patient and go with this. There are 2 mistakes they can make now and shouldn't. 1. calling up young guys now rather than letting them develop properly and 2. the Murray trade away your picks and prospects for now route. Big NO to both. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 9

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.