Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

On 4/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

Allegedly from the Sharks game last night, read the first letter of each word.  

7A1E6DC1-E186-463A-AAA9-DCF50E2FA95D.webp

I’ve done something similar recently, but on a “preacher’s” FB page to call his bluff - for reasons I shall not discuss here.

“Bloviating uneducated lucrative lying special high intensity teaching”

Edited by FogBat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

And to think, there were some who bemoaned actually getting SOMETHING for him.

I will own up to that. I thought it was wrong for a team that was weak in goal to trade a young goalie for such a slight return. In reality the Sabres staff knew far better than me what they had in Johansson. I was wrong on this one. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 3

meanwhile, from an article on the Flyers failure by Charlie O'Connor in the Athletic:

"The Ristolainen extension, especially, looms large as a symptom of this. For a team in the Flyers’ position — way down the standings and so far from contention that they would trade their longtime captain (and best player) just a few weeks later — the logical move would have been to ship out Ristolainen for picks and prospects. His value around the league was high, as a physical rental defenseman perceived by many GMs as having a game tailor-made for the postseason. Ristolainen’s pairing with Sanheim had been fine relative to the rest of the team, but far from dominant. It only made sense — bad team trades away expiring contracts for future assets.

Instead, the Flyers doubled down on him, paying him like a solid second pair defenseman when every objective metric grades him out as a third-pair guy at best. The reason? Well, it’s true that Fletcher has liked Ristolainen as a player dating back to his time in Minnesota. But it’s a near-certainty that Ristolainen’s size and physical style of play was a major factor. And it’s also a near-certainty that the older voices in the brain trust were very much in favor of bringing back a player who screams the traditional notion of what Flyers hockey should be. During a season where scoring is up to pre-neutral zone trap levels and offense and skill are very much in vogue, the Flyers are spending $5.1 million per year on a defenseman who embodies the opposite, from his throwback mentality to his consistently awful performance by analytics. In large part because of Flyers culture."

Remember when we used to argue how he wasn't a top pairing guy but would be better as a second pairing guy? Risto redux. Flyers are a disaster. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

meanwhile, from an article on the Flyers failure by Charlie O'Connor in the Athletic:

"The Ristolainen extension, especially, looms large as a symptom of this. For a team in the Flyers’ position — way down the standings and so far from contention that they would trade their longtime captain (and best player) just a few weeks later — the logical move would have been to ship out Ristolainen for picks and prospects.

Remember when we used to argue how he wasn't a top pairing guy but would be better as a second pairing guy? Risto redux. Flyers are a disaster. 

I never figured out his usage. It seems like EVERY coach he had here wanted him on the ice all the time, even though he just wasn't that good. Was it a case of him being the best among a group of awful D-men? Maybe. But it more seems like coaches see his physical talent (size, skating, shot) and just think he is the most TALENTED D-man they have so they can't resist putting him out there. Even though in the end his decision making will be a detriment to the team, he always gets a lot of minutes.

He did get 2nd pair minutes in Philly, but still averaged between 21-22 minutes per game.

Problem for Philly now.....he is resigned for $5.1 million for 5 more years. Not many teams will take that off your hands.  It will not cripple them cap-wise, but they are overpaying now for someone who is better suited on a winning team as a low-minute 2nd pair guy or a 3rd pair guy.

To me Philly is overall in a kind of no-mans land. They had an awful season this year. They don't seem like they will be racing to the bottom of the standings, but don't have much to look foward to.  They are not cap strapped and have some flexibility, but not a lot.  They will get a high draft pick this year, but aren't loaded with top prospects.  They aren't in an awful situation going foward, but there isn't a lot there to turn them around into a contender quickly.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Really odd. Possible they closed it to the media? 

I don't find it odd. It's the only way the VGK can do a successful damage control PR stint. Put Jack in front of a microphone and he's a gif or on twitter in minutes with an eye role or some completely ignorant rumblings trying to answer a reporters question.

Imagine a reporter asking..

*when you came to Vegas and started playing the team was 1 point out of the conference lead, what happened?*

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I never figured out his usage. It seems like EVERY coach he had here wanted him on the ice all the time, even though he just wasn't that good. Was it a case of him being the best among a group of awful D-men? Maybe. But it more seems like coaches see his physical talent (size, skating, shot) and just think he is the most TALENTED D-man they have so they can't resist putting him out there. Even though in the end his decision making will be a detriment to the team, he always gets a lot of minutes.

He did get 2nd pair minutes in Philly, but still averaged between 21-22 minutes per game.

Problem for Philly now.....he is resigned for $5.1 million for 5 more years. Not many teams will take that off your hands.  It will not cripple them cap-wise, but they are overpaying now for someone who is better suited on a winning team as a low-minute 2nd pair guy or a 3rd pair guy.

To me Philly is overall in a kind of no-mans land. They had an awful season this year. They don't seem like they will be racing to the bottom of the standings, but don't have much to look foward to.  They are not cap strapped and have some flexibility, but not a lot.  They will get a high draft pick this year, but aren't loaded with top prospects.  They aren't in an awful situation going foward, but there isn't a lot there to turn them around into a contender quickly.

Ristolainen is a 3rd pairing defender who can run your #2 powerplay when needed. 

44 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Really odd. Possible they closed it to the media? 

24 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I don't find it odd. It's the only way the VGK can do a successful damage control PR stint. Put Jack in front of a microphone and he's a gif or on twitter in minutes with an eye role or some completely ignorant rumblings trying to answer a reporters question.

Imagine a reporter asking..

*when you came to Vegas and started playing the team was 1 point out of the conference lead, what happened?*

They were on the road Friday night. Unlikely they made them come in Saturday for locker clean out. Either happens today or tomorrow most likely. 

On 4/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

Allegedly from the Sharks game last night, read the first letter of each word.  

7A1E6DC1-E186-463A-AAA9-DCF50E2FA95D.webp

I forgot to mention that there was some other harpy out there who was shooting her mouth off on Facebook a few weeks ago. To which I said that she, “can’t understand necessary truths”.

Sorry to all the ladies out there…

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They were on the road Friday night. Unlikely they made them come in Saturday for locker clean out. Either happens today or tomorrow most likely. 

Still no mention of it. It will be done quietly and a player or two may be made available. It's damage control time.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Still no mention of it. It will be done quietly and a player or two may be made available. It's damage control time.

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wonder if Jack didn't even speak to the media at all end of season? Wouldn't surprise me. 

My dudes, Vegas has not yet had their locker room clean out media availability day.