Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Dallas gets at least a point. NICE

And just a ridiculous OT goal by Matthews 

I lost a friendship  because Matthews is better than Eichel.

I can't believe I ever defended that guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ducky said:

James Patrick was an assistant with the Sabres and I was just wondering what his job was and how he did? Did he coach the PP or PK? Took care of the D men?

Thanks in advance.

Assistant Coach under Lindy in charge of defense. Damn fine coach, well liked and well respected. A player’s coach. Took over as HC for a few games in 2012 when Lindy was injured. He’s a good one.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Assistant Coach under Lindy in charge of defense. Damn fine coach, well liked and well respected. A player’s coach. Took over as HC for a few games in 2012 when Lindy was injured. He’s a good one.

He's a Winnipegger and is currently coaching the Winnipeg Ice. If they win their next game, they will have won 50 of 65 games and two of his players are ranked in the top 10 in the upcoming draft. 

Fans are talking about him as a HC here next season and I was wondering what Sabres' fans thought of him.

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

He's a Winnipegger and is currently coaching the Winnipeg Ice. If they win their next game, they will have won 50 of 65 games and two of his players are ranked in the top 10 in the upcoming draft. 

Fans are talking about him as a HC here next season and I was wondering what Sabres' fans thought of him.

He has put in his time and would be an interesting choice.

I wonder if there is still a Sabres connection with Patrick and if they have picked his brain about Savoie and Geekie?

44 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I wonder if there is still a Sabres connection with Patrick and if they have picked his brain about Savoie and Geekie?

Rip would be one of the few still around from Darcy’s regime.
There has been a lot of turnover in scouting as well so I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

JP and KA were both assistant Sabres coaches together during the 2012/2013 season. Also, Krebs played for him with the Winnipeg Oce, I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Norcal said:

I lost a friendship  because Matthews is better than Eichel.

I can't believe I ever defended that guy. 

Many of us were OK with the Eichel trade (as much as we could be) because, even though it was hard, we came to the realization Eichel was not as good as we wanted him to be.  McDavid is the best offense producer in the NHL.  Matthews is in the top 5.  Eichel...we WANTED him to be '1a' to McDavid and as good as Matthews, but in reality, he is more in the range of the 20th best in the NHL rather than top 5 in producing offense.  Eichel is in a category closer to Scheifele, Aho, and an aging John Tavares....well behind the likes of McDavid, Matthews, and McKinnon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Many of us were OK with the Eichel trade (as much as we could be) because, even though it was hard, we came to the realization Eichel was not as good as we wanted him to be.  McDavid is the best offense producer in the NHL.  Matthews is in the top 5.  Eichel...we WANTED him to be '1a' to McDavid and as good as Matthews, but in reality, he is more in the range of the 20th best in the NHL rather than top 5 in producing offense.  Eichel is in a category closer to Scheifele, Aho, and an aging John Tavares....well behind the likes of McDavid, Matthews, and McKinnon.

No shame in being second tier to the guys you mentioned. Eichel is a good player to be sure, but he’s just a complimentary piece.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ducky said:

I think he would be a strong candidate.  He was a good asst. coach at the NHL level and now has lower level HC experience.... kind of like.... Granato.

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

New drinking game.

Slam a beer every time an NHL player/coach/GM/trainer/towel boy says "obviously' in an interview.

I don't have that much beer in the house.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'll forever hate the term generational 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The performance isn't the problem.  It's the attitude.

Agree about his attitude. But his performance, while good compared to most, isn’t what we all hoped it would be. He’s a nice complimentary cog, not a main engine like some others in the league. That’s not a knock on him either, just recognition that there are much more talented players and it’s obvious when watching them play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

New drinking game.

Slam a beer every time an NHL player/coach/GM/trainer/towel boy says "obviously' in an interview.

My liver hates this suggestion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1