Doug Allen will not be performing the Anthems at Sabres Games This Season

Brawndo

11 hours ago, inkman said:

This dude is criminally underrated by this fanbase.  They could bring back anti-Semite Ronan Tynan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Entertainment/yankees-pull-plug-ronan-tynan-tenors-bad-joke/story%3fid=8848327

Do you think fans wouldn’t attend if they didn’t sign an anthem or two?  Just chalk it up to not wanting to sing 14 national anthems to represent each players country and call it.  

I think some fans would and when you’ve lost the numbers that they have lost, some fans might be too many. The Bills lost 700 season ticket holders over a vaccination policy. I know four people who dropped out of Sabres season tickets over it. The passion some people feel about singing the National Anthem at sporting events, no matter how misguided, is real to those people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why?

Let's enjoy it. This thread's OK for obvious reasons. It's a gift from God. Literally.

I enjoy the talk about dougie, I think its long overdue to replace him. 

But the talk about immunity is not par for the course in this thread. Keep it on the singer and it's all gravy 

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I am.  He was okay.  Not great.

What anthem singers have they had in the past 2 decades, other than Miro's girlfriend, that have been better than Dougie?

What makes you believe, given past experience, that THIS particular time they'll get it right?

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

Agreed. The game is so international that the anthems are a joke. Just play the game. 

It’s being played in North America.  Almost 70% of the NHL are from the United States or Canada.  Players from other countries should, and I like to think they are, be thankful for the opportunity they have to take their hockey career to the highest level.  
Please continue playing the anthems for the United States and Canada. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I think some fans would and when you’ve lost the numbers that they have lost, some fans might be too many. The Bills lost 700 season ticket holders over a vaccination policy. I know four people who dropped out of Sabres season tickets over it. The passion some people feel about singing the National Anthem at sporting events, no matter how misguided, is real to those people.

Fixed to say the same thing without an unnecessary and “ possibly misguided” insult.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I enjoy the talk about dougie, I think its long overdue to replace him. 

But the talk about immunity is not par for the course in this thread. Keep it on the singer and it's all gravy 

The thread's not about Doug. It's about Doug's decision.

53 minutes ago, GoPre said:

It’s being played in North America.  Almost 70% of the NHL are from the United States or Canada.  Players from other countries should, and I like to think they are, be thankful for the opportunity they have to take their hockey career to the highest level.  
Please continue playing the anthems for the United States and Canada. 

I've proposed several times that it would be a nice nod to an international game that non-NA national anthems (NNANAs) be played from time to time in place of the Canadian anthem (Latvian anthem for Zemgus, etc.). (I'm assuming there's no way the league would allow the time needed for a third anthem, but that might not be a good assumption, as there are all kinds of presentations that delay the start of games.)

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

At the risk of ruining this thread ...

That is not the reason.

He had it, so he has natural anti-bodies, which are far stronger and better than the vaccine.  There is some indication that getting the vaccine if you have had COVID can be counter productive and possibly dangerous.

MULE MUFFINS!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

At the risk of ruining this thread ...

That is not the reason.

He had it, so he has natural anti-bodies, which are far stronger and better than the vaccine.  There is some indication that getting the vaccine if you have had COVID can be counter productive and possibly dangerous.

Hey!  NS and I agree on something.  Happy day. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Losing your job is serious business.  Lock-downs/Mandates putting middle class folks out of business is serious (non) business. Hospitals shutting down wards because they've fired too many staff members who refused the mandate is serious business. BigBusiness (Amazon,etc) consolidating their power even more is serious business.  People dying due to lock-downs is serious business.  Countries like Sweden and now Croatia have said enough is enough and that their countries will no longer proceed with policies which seem to be counter-productive.

Pandemics are more serious business. 500,000 dead. 

• Like (+1) 2

Sorry if this isn't political enough for this thread, but setting aside the obvious political elements of anthems and Dougie's gesture for a moment, I like them for the theatre.

They bring the crowd out of its distracted, mindless buzz and the players out of their pre-game ritual and bind the entire building together for a singular focus. One anthem works better for this than two, but I find those two minutes a great scene-setter that I'd hate to lose.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry if this isn't political enough for this thread, but setting aside the obvious political elements of anthems and Dougie's gesture for a moment, I like them for the theatre.

They bring the crowd out of its distracted, mindless buzz and the players out of their pre-game ritual and bind the entire building together for a singular focus. One anthem works better for this than two, but I find those two minutes a great scene-setter that I'd hate to lose.

I never minded the point or the theatrics. It's sports and they're supposed to be fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

• Like (+1) 2

After reading the many ideologically charged posts in this thread, I’m trying to figure out why my totally innocuous post defending Doug’s freedom of choice was deleted yesterday. I see the moderation around here is still arbitrarily administered. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

After reading the many ideologically charged posts in this thread, I’m trying to figure out why my totally innocuous post defending Doug’s freedom of choice was deleted yesterday. I see the moderation around here is still arbitrarily administered. 

Don't try to figure out why the moderator deleted your post. I was sanctioned on a factual post I made on the Covid issue. The moderator went bazooka on me. His intemperate response to me was outrageously out of proportion to my post.  He acted as if I impugned his mother. At first I was upset being penalized and then I cooled off and realized that part of life is dealing with erratic behavior. Don't let it bother you: It's like water rolling off a duck's back.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I always thought the reaction to Doug coming out was insincere. Vogl thought the same. I have a feeling he won't be missed. Maybe Doug Allen's Gambit was that his people would rise up.

Maybe he was just being honest about his beliefs with no other agenda. 

• Like (+1) 1