Robin Lehner trashes Sabres Medical Staff

matter2003

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I’m not on Jack’s “side”, so to speak, but this does seem to point to incompetent ownership. 

So the Bills approach is considered “cutting edge” but the Sabres are viewed as using “med school dropouts?” More likely, just another case of old school hockey players resisting change.

• Like (+1) 3

Not sure there is enough here to develop a strong opinion one way or another on this article.  The only facts here are:

1) the Sabres are a terribly run team

2) Lehner struggles with emotional stability and addiction

3) Jack Eichel needs surgery at some point, and

4) quality hockey articles are in short supply this time of year

Some, all, or none of these facts may (or may not) have anything to do with the actual quality of the Sabre's doctors and their care.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Please tell us more.

From what I remember (it was 2018) there was talk the Sabres could have done a procedure (non-surgery) rehab that was performed on another (non-hockey) player and he would have been back in half the time.

Right ankle, left ankle, ribs, neck, he’s a great player but injury prone IMO 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

From what I remember (it was 2018) there was talk the Sabres could have done a procedure (non-surgery) rehab that was performed on another (non-hockey) player and he would have been back in half the time.

Right ankle, left ankle, ribs, neck, he’s a great player but injury prone IMO 

He absolutely is injury prone.  But, for those other 70 games he SHOULD play ...

12 hours ago, Peter said:

If some of you are upset about Lehner's complaints about former doctors (who, by the way, recommended a legitimate course of treatment as someone else up thread pointed out), you are going to be really upset about his comments about Buffalo Sabres fans.

P.S. To think that I actually felt sorry for the guy when he got destroyed in that game 7-1 against the Avs . . . . Not anymore. 

Welcome back to the board.

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

To follow up on what Pi said 

All three also are listed as UBMD Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Physicians. Two of the Three they replaced did not have Sports Medicine Fellowships. In addition the Head Trainer at the time had a background in Rugby. As previously mentioned a large majority of the Trainers have been replaced. 

That's good. There was plenty of talk around here a few years ago that the Sabres med staff was wonky - I remember it well, it's not just some isolated ex-player calling attention to that. Definitely seems to be issue addressed now, though. 

13 hours ago, Digger said:

Lehner hasn't played for the team since 2018.  Seems like the media is really digging to keep the negative narrative going against the Sabres. 

What's the real point?  All about poor Eichel?  They should focus on getting some NHL team(s) to step up with a fair trade offer so that poor Jack can get his desired medical procedure.  

I don't think there's any new information we could ever receive that can't be twisted into more ammunition for people to dislike Eichel

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Lehner has NO credibility as far as I'm concerned. He was awful when he was here. He's always has an excuse for why he has been wronged.

Blaming medical professionals when THEY CAN'T DEFEND THEMSELVES is a low blow. Saying that other guys were mistreated without citing specifics is just garbage.

Lehner is not a professional, but he is a sh**ty NHL Goalie.... 

I don't really care about Lehner FTR but the bold just weakens your argument when it's centered on credibility 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't think there's any new information we could ever receive that can't be twisted into more ammunition for people to dislike Eichel

You're missing the point. It's not about vilifying Eichel. I think it's part of the pressure campaign Jack's agents are orchestrating to shame the Sabres into moving Jack sooner.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

So the Bills approach is considered “cutting edge” but the Sabres are viewed as using “med school dropouts?” More likely, just another case of old school hockey players resisting change.

They changed the staff. 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're missing the point. It's not about vilifying Eichel. I think it's part of the pressure campaign Jack's agents are orchestrating to shame the Sabres into moving Jack sooner.

You have proven my point

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well he was sh**y for us.

He saved 1 in the shooutout, what else do you want?

15 hours ago, pi2000 said:

you can look these guys up, they seem legit...

Head Team Physician (both Sabres and Bills): Marc Fineberg, M.D.

https://www.ecmc.edu/our-doctors/marc-fineberg/

Team Physician: Michael Freitas, M.D.

https://www.highgatemedical.com/freitas

Team Physician: Rajiv Jain, M.D.

https://www.sheridanmedgroup.com/meet-our-providers/physicians/rajiv-jain-md

I know all of these guys professionally and personally, I had my shoulder worked on by Fineberg, and I have worked with Freitas and Jain in some capacity in my career. They are no slouches.

I just love people that have exactly 1 week of medical training via Google and think they are in the know. 

Tis the world we live in now. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My point was that this is only "news" today because of Jack Eichel and a desire to s**T on the Sabres organization.  Lehner has played for 3 other teams since his time in Buffalo.  It seemed pretty odd to me to have this come up.

I never had anything against Eichel but I do think his comments and his agents actions are not helping the situation at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I appreciate the support for the Sabres, but there’s a lotta closing ranks going on in here, and it should be remembered that the organization being defended has been a complete poop show for a decade.  

I was going Occam's Razor with this one, but your statement suffices.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

My point was that this is only "news" today because of Jack Eichel and a desire to s**T on the Sabres organization.  Lehner has played for 3 other teams since his time in Buffalo.  It seemed pretty odd to me to have this come up.

I never had anything against Eichel but I do think his comments and his agents actions are not helping the situation at all. 

It's not hard to imagine an agent going to a reporter or podcaster and "leaking" a scoop that helps their client. Or ask a friend of said player to chime in. You'll notice that Elliotte Friedmann only interviewed Jack's doctor. He can't speak to a Sabres doctor obviously, but he never sought out other non-involved spine surgeons to get their take on ADR vs fusion. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I appreciate the support for the Sabres, but there’s a lotta closing ranks going on in here, and it should be remembered that the organization being defended has been a complete poop show for a decade.  

There's nothing wrong with judging each situation on merit, rather than always go with "the Sabres stink. They must be wrong about everything."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not hard to imagine an agent going to a reporter or podcaster and "leaking" a scoop that helps their client. Or ask a friend of said player to chime in. You'll notice that Elliotte Friedmann only interviewed Jack's doctor. He can't speak to a Sabres doctor obviously, but he never sought out other non-involved spine surgeons to get their take on ADR vs fusion. 

Wait, are you expecting actual journalism?  Where have you been for the last couple of decades?

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

I don’t follow the Bills, I’m a college football guy. I have no idea what the Bills are doing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.