New York Times in discussions to buy The Athletic

SDS

7 minutes ago, Believer said:

The Left wants to control all messaging… Sports is no exception…

ESPN is currently embroiled in the Woke Catfight with Rachel Nichols and Maria Taylor. Too bad they couldn’t settle this with naked mud wrestling. 😂

• Haha (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, darksabre said:

😂

Imagine thinking the NYT is left leaning 

Correct. 

The NYT leaned left 20 plus years ago, but those days are long gone.

Today they're simply the activist mouthpiece of the Democrat party.

Edit:

And I'm sure many will disagree with my take, but I'll just add that Fox News serves the exact same purpose for the Republicans. Neither are reputable news sources that come anywhere close to simply "leaning" one way.

Edited by Claude_Verret
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, darksabre said:

😂

Imagine thinking the NYT is left leaning 

That's how I used to think, as you probably well know.

I honestly believe that @SDSwas just informing us about this potential purchase, and nothing more. I didn't think anything of it, and it's not my place to worry about this-or-that agenda.

It doesn’t matter how witty and smarmy the gutter snipes are. There are none as blind as those who will not see. That goes for every human. No ones exempt.

I thought the athletic was doing well and had a good thing going. Everyone was content. Surprised they are even interested in selling. I’m not gonna assume they go from apolitical to leaning one way or the other just because a newspaper company owns them. Examples will have to be brought to light after the purchase (if it happens) to prove that theory true.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

Correct. 

The NYT leaned left 20 plus years ago, but those days are long gone.

Today they're simply the activist mouthpiece of the Democrat party.

Edit:

And I'm sure many will disagree with my take, but I'll just add that Fox News serves the exact same purpose for the Republicans. Neither are reputable news sources that come anywhere close to simply "leaning" one way.

Fox lies though, big difference.

• Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Norcal said:

It doesn't feel like a good thing for this to happen 

Consolidation is generally not good for the consumer.

I'm sure it's great for the owners of The Athletic though.

54 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It doesn’t matter how witty and smarmy the gutter snipes are. There are none as blind as those who will not see. That goes for every human. No ones exempt.

I thought the athletic was doing well and had a good thing going. Everyone was content. Surprised they are even interested in selling. I’m not gonna assume they go from apolitical to leaning one way or the other just because a newspaper company owns them. Examples will have to be brought to light after the purchase (if it happens) to prove that theory true.

I expect that selling was the business model all along.

Edited by Weave

25 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Fox lies though, big difference.

Dude, they ALL lie. No, no … seriously. They ALL do it. Don’t be “that guy” and think one or two cable news or newspaper outlets don’t practice “omission” reporting constantly. “But but but the news I follow doesn’t!” 😂 …. no. It does.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Athletic is in deep financial trouble and their business model is not sustainable relying only on subscriptions for revenue and no advertising. They will sell to whoever is willing to pay. I don’t think they have many suitors and I suspect the NYT is not paying a lot to acquire them.