Chicago Blackhawks Sexual Assault Allegations

WildCard

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wasn’t talking about the bystander effect, which isn’t relevant in this case. Chevy wasn’t a bystander.  He wasn’t a witness.  Chevy was in the meeting when the facts were disclosed and a decision by management made to bury it.  I understand he had no power to override that decision, but legally he’d have been protected had he exposed the coverup.

If you are the low man on the totem pole in a meeting with all your bosses, it is indeed a bystander effect. It has been reported up the chain to multiple people. There is every reason to think someone else is supposed to handle this.

Even then, walk us through this. Chevy, being one of the lowest ranked people in the room hears this. What are his exact actions afterwards and when? Who does he call? The police? The NHLPA? OSHA? Does he call right after the meeting? Does anyone, including the investigators, know exactly what was said that day?

When does he follow up on any action/inaction? A day? A week? A month? A year? What does he say? Me, as the junior employee in the room, demand to know how this was settled. 

Is it possible he thought there could have been a payoff and settled with cash? Is it possible he thought Beach would go to the NHLPA/police/legal route on his own, when he was ready? Should he have followed up in year 6?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what he rationally should have done that day given the circumstances?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, SDS said:

If you are the low man on the totem pole in a meeting with all your bosses, it is indeed a bystander effect. It has been reported up the chain to multiple people. There is every reason to think someone else is supposed to handle this.

Even then, walk us through this. Chevy, being one of the lowest ranked people in the room hears this. What are his exact actions afterwards and when? Who does he call? The police? The NHLPA? OSHA? Does he call right after the meeting? Does anyone, including the investigators, know exactly what was said that day?

When does he follow up on any action/inaction? A day? A week? A month? A year? What does he say? Me, as the junior employee in the room, demand to know how this was settled. 

Is it possible he thought there could have been a payoff and settled with cash? Is it possible he thought Beach would go to the NHLPA/police/legal route on his own, when he was ready? Should he have followed up in year 6?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what he rationally should have done that day given the circumstances?

As the AGM he certainly had access to Beach.  He could have started by speaking with him to find out what if anything the Hawks have done for him, especially when the perpetrator was still with the team through the playoffs.  He could have then exposed the coverup to media, and/or contacted Bettman’s office,  or the police.  He became WPG’s GM a year or so later.  At that point he had power to help Beach if he had wanted to.  He did nothing and kept quiet for 11 years.  He maybe the least culpable of the senior management, but that shouldn’t give him a pass for staying silent.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

That sounds crazy, antiquated, and very NHL.

If memory serves the Stanley Cup was a gift from Lord Stanley to an organization that ran an amateur hockey system in Canada in the late 1800s.  With rules in place as to the awarding of said Stanley Cup.  That organization gave way at some point to the NHL and they *gained access* to said Stanley Cup. 

I am not making this up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Speaking for myself, as he's the lowest ranked guy I might  (stress MIGHT) excuse him at the time for either assuming someone higher up might deal with it or for feeling he didn't want to risk his own job BUT over the next 11 years he kept his mouth shut like it didn't happen and was quite content to walk on the rug he'd watched things swept under. At the very least, the LEAST, he could have reached out to someone or reported something after he left the organization and went to Winnipeg. 

Bottom line is he fell in line and protected the old boys club and he should GO. If the league lets him keep his job they are saying, we are against this stuff but if people keep their mouths shut it's okay. We only care when it goes public. 

He knew, he kept his mouth shut, he should go. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Speaking for myself, as he's the lowest ranked guy I might  (stress MIGHT) excuse him at the time for either assuming someone higher up might deal with it or for feeling he didn't want to risk his own job BUT over the next 11 years he kept his mouth shut like it didn't happen and was quite content to walk on the rug he'd watched things swept under. At the very least, the LEAST, he could have reached out to someone or reported something after he left the organization and went to Winnipeg. 

Bottom line is he fell in line and protected the old boys club and he should GO. If the league lets him keep his job they are saying, we are against this stuff but if people keep their mouths shut it's okay. We only care when it goes public. 

He knew, he kept his mouth shut, he should go. 

As AGM he certainly had power to help Beach as he was likely in charge of the AHL team.  As the AGM he easily could have and should have contacted Beach to determine what if anything the higher ups did for him.  He didn't. He also became WPG GM a year later.  He could have acquired Beach from the Hawks and taken him away from the toxic organization.  He did nothing and now has been rewarded for just taking orders and keeping silent.  I've seen that excuse before and it never works out well for the victims.  

Also where is the NHLPA in all this?  What did they do to help Beach?  Beach contacted them and...... Fehr and his henchmen did nothing.  Why aren't the players putting pressure on Fehr to resign?  Where was Beach's player rep?  Why aren't heads rolling at the Union?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Also where is the NHLPA in all this?  What did they do to help Beach?  Beach contacted them and...... Fehr and his henchmen did nothing.  Why aren't the players putting pressure on Fehr to resign?  Where was Beach's player rep?  Why aren't heads rolling at the Union?

I don't think this is over yet. Maybe nothing happens, but Donald Fehr is taking some heat over this and it's possible some more heads will roll. 

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As AGM he certainly had power to help Beach as he was likely in charge of the AHL team.  As the AGM he easily could have and should have contacted Beach to determine what if anything the higher ups did for him.  He didn't. He also became WPG GM a year later.  He could have acquired Beach from the Hawks and taken him away from the toxic organization.  He did nothing and now has been rewarded for just taking orders and keeping silent.  I've seen that excuse before and it never works out well for the victims.  

27 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think this is over yet. Maybe nothing happens, but Donald Fehr is taking some heat over this and it's possible some more heads will roll. 

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/180862192/

I don't now where this quote was pulled from, but if true this would be exactly why he isn't being punished. According to the quote, sexual harassment was being discussed, not sexual assault. It is reasonable to think, if this is true, that firing a person over sexual harassment was the club addressing the situation. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Lastly, why would the NHL determine that a top tier, Stanley Cup winning coach of an undefeated team needs to go, but the GM nobody of the NHL's smallest market had no culpability? Clearly, the NHL had the balls to go after Q - a much bigger fish. They could have went after Chevy just for the optics. Nothing was stopping them. 

If people in that meeting didn't have the full story and later only certain individuals were privy to the allegations of assault - I think that changes the dynamics completely. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SDS said:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/180862192/

I don't now where this quote was pulled from, but if true this would be exactly why he isn't being punished. According to the quote, sexual harassment was being discussed, not sexual assault. It is reasonable to think, if this is true, that firing a person over sexual harassment was the club addressing the situation. 

Page 38-55 of the report are pretty clear that a physical interaction was discussed in the meeting on May 23rd which Chevy attended.  That quote is BS. 

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wrex.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/1b/c1bd008a-36ae-11ec-a80f-5b9bfb34e19e/617885ae1be0f.pdf.pdf

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Page 38-55 of the report are pretty clear that a physical interaction was discussed in the meeting on May 23rd which Chevy attended.  That quote is BS. 

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wrex.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/1b/c1bd008a-36ae-11ec-a80f-5b9bfb34e19e/617885ae1be0f.pdf.pdf

I literally just read every single persons account in that report. Nobody claims to have discussed an assault resembling anything like we are being told today. Not a single person.

Not a vague hint, not a suggestion, not a wink and a nod, not a polite euphemism… a detailed description of sexual assault.

Feel free to pull any information from the report regarding that meeting that states otherwise.

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You know the thing I can't get over is they wrote this guy a letter of recommendation. I just can't get past that one glaring point. Unforgivable. 

Certainly huge f’n lawsuit worthy imo. Knowing what they knew wtf would they give him a glowing recommendation to go to a school full of young people ? 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Certainly huge f’n lawsuit worthy imo. Knowing what they knew wtf would they give him a glowing recommendation to go to a school full of young people ? 

That is a massive mistake and adds to the pain felt by Kyle Beach.

He was dumped in the back alley while Aldrich gets a day with the Cup, paraded around and a letter of recommendation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.