Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, I am honestly asking. What is it the Power's has that is elite, will become elite, or is at least on the borderline of elite? 

Height? I'm not a fan of Power either, give me Beniers or a trade down and then my short list is Guenther, Eklund or Wallstedt. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, I am honestly asking. What is it the Power's has that is elite, will become elite, or is at least on the borderline of elite? 

Hockey IQ, skating, passing, vision, offensive output.

I have only watched a few clips of Power  at Michigan but he was impressive at the Worlds. He got better and played a larger role as the tournament went on. This shows me that he is good vs average NHLers and that he has the ability to adapt and develop quickly.

I did not see elite skills but he was cool under pressure and often made the smart play. He is confident with the puck and has some good offensive instincts. I joked about elite reach but that will serve him well to maintain gaps at the next level.

I am in the camp of making a deal with Seattle if they want Power and taking Beniers. This is based on wanting more forwards in the Sabres prospect pool. I am on the fence with those two and there is no more hockey to be played.

I won’t be upset either way, Dahlin and Power could be the Sabres version of Hedman and Sergachev. Beniers as a ROR ceiling and a Cirelli floor is good too.

32 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hockey IQ, skating, passing, vision, offensive output.

His offensive output is nothing compared to a lot of posters on here.

Sorry.. some days one needs to do this just to keep oneself sane. 🙂

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/should-owen-power-go-1st-overall

Guys, tell me if you can see this article. It is thru subscription so I don’t know if everyone can see it.

They break down some video on Power.  They compare him to Mortez Seider. Some interesting stuff. State that he sacrifices some offence by being in motion in the offensive zone to open up options and space for forwards rather then staying stationary at the point to shoot more.  Definitely thinks he needs another year in college/AHL in order to bring along his offensive game/dominate. He thinks Power has all the positive projectables but the offence hasn’t quite developed yet vs. A guy like Clarke that has the offence but the projectables like skating a dzone are lacking and that those are much tougher to correct.

Edited by Flashsabre

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

stan is a slang term. When you stan something you are in favor of it happening or you like it a ton. You can stan Granato as coach for example. 

Jfc I must be getting old.  Never heard that term in my life.  Thanks for the explanation.  I thought it was an autocorrect or something misspelled lol.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I have only watched a few clips of Power  at Michigan but he was impressive at the Worlds. He got better and played a larger role as the tournament went on. This shows me that he is good vs average NHLers and that he has the ability to adapt and develop quickly.

I did not see elite skills but he was cool under pressure and often made the smart play. He is confident with the puck and has some good offensive instincts. I joked about elite reach but that will serve him well to maintain gaps at the next level.

I am in the camp of making a deal with Seattle if they want Power and taking Beniers. This is based on wanting more forwards in the Sabres prospect pool. I am on the fence with those two and there is no more hockey to be played.

I won’t be upset either way, Dahlin and Power could be the Sabres version of Hedman and Sergachev. Beniers as a ROR ceiling and a Cirelli floor is good too.

Ok if Beniers has a Cirelli floor then that may be the guy I want.  That’s not what I’ve read though.  

All I want is the sabres to take the guy who will end up the better player in a couple years regardless of position.  If it’s Beniers then that’s great but I’m not passing on Power simply because I have a Bryson or Samuelson.  Those guys are far from locks and I’m done relying on a bunch of unknown non top 5 draft picks.  

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Ok if Beniers has a Cirelli floor then that may be the guy I want.  That’s not what I’ve read though.  

All I want is the sabres to take the guy who will end up the better player in a couple years regardless of position.  If it’s Beniers then that’s great but I’m not passing on Power simply because I have a Bryson or Samuelson.  Those guys are far from locks and I’m done relying on a bunch of unknown non top 5 draft picks.  

If Beniers had a Cirelli floor this wouldn't be a discussion. I've not read anything like that though.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They should draft Beniers. Everyone hopes Power turns into a top a defender and they get enamored with him but if you read enough reports you notice they often can't quite list something he is really good at. Beniers on the other hand is really good or elite at several things from his skating to his work ethic to his use of teammates to his 2-way game. The best player in the draft is Matthew Beniers. 

A ton of reports on Power talks about his excellent skating and confidence handling the puck but ok. I’ve never seen a report on Beniers say he has a single elite skill.

Edited by Hoss

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Omg fine, I won't use it. 

----------------------------------------

To whom it may concern, 

If you have any positive feelings about taking Mr. Owen Power as the 1st overall selection in the 2021 NHL entry draft, please let us know what skills you think help Mr Owen Power to deserve that honor. Please pay special attention to those skills that you see as exceedingly good or elite in nature and write about them below. This will help those of us who do not view Mr Owen Power as the best player in the 2021 NHL entry draft. 

Thank you. 

He is known to have excellent skating and puck control on the blue line which allows for a ton of controlled exits and entries from the back end. He showed this at Worlds and it’s why he was given as many minutes as anyone.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Power is an 18 yr old big fellow who right now doesn't do anything at an elite level. However, as a youngster he does everything well and projects to be a first pairing caliber defenseman. I'm not so worried about at what level he currently plays at because many in the scouting business project him to get significantly better as he physically matures. I want to make it clear that I'm not diminishing any other player who is ranked high on this year's draft board. There are legitimate reasons based on talent and projections to select another highly ranked player. So although I might disagree with others preferring another pick I'm not going to say one is wrong 

If you peruse the various rankings Power is at the top or near the top of the majority of rankings, and so are a few other players. As described by almost everyone in the scouting business this draft class lacks an elite "can't miss" prospect such as McDavid, Eichel and Crosby class.  It should be remembered that many people in the talent scouting business categorized Dahlin as that type of prospect but because of the troglodyte coaching he was subjected to his development was set back. So right now I'm not putting him at that lofty level. Although I still believe that he can reach it if handled properly and with the right support system.   

As of right now with no hesitation I proclaim myself to be a Power-stan!

23 minutes ago, Hoss said:

A ton of reports on Power talks about his excellent skating and confidence handling the puck but ok. I’ve never seen a report on Beniers say he has a single elite skill.

I've never seen any report call Power's skating or puck handling elite. In fact Beniers is without a doubt a superior skater.

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He is known to have excellent skating and puck control on the blue line which allows for a ton of controlled exits and entries from the back end. He showed this at Worlds and it’s why he was given as many minutes as anyone.

You want to compare entry and exit data between Power and Beniers?

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

If Beniers had a Cirelli floor this wouldn't be a discussion. I've not read anything like that though.

He didn't get compared to Cirelli because he projected higher than him. Cirelli is below Beniers floor in all likelihood. 

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I've never seen any report call Power's skating or puck handling elite. In fact Beniers is without a doubt a superior skater.

You want to compare entry and exit data between Power and Beniers?

You do realize one is a defenseman and the other is a forward ... right?

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He didn't get compared to Cirelli because he projected higher than him. Cirelli is below Beniers floor in all likelihood. 

That’s nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

“Owen Power, a defenseman at the University of Michigan, was the unanimous choice as the No. 1 player in NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters for the 2021 NHL Draft.”

thankfully he’s didnt say consensus! 

Thankfully we understand the difference between 1 ranking putting him #1 and all rankings putting him #1.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

You do realize one is a defenseman and the other is a forward ... right?

That’s nonsense.

It's nonsense? You think Beniers projects to Cirelli?

You do realize power doesn't have elite skating and needs to work on his short area speed correct? Also his turns are a noted problem in the defensive zone. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Thankfully we understand the difference between 1 ranking putting him #1 and all rankings putting him #1.

Have we seen any rankings, since the World Championships that doesnt have Power as #1?   Probably too soon, I guess 
what’s the most mainstream site that doesn’t rank him #1? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's nonsense? You think Beniers projects to Cirelli?

You do realize power doesn't have elite skating and needs to work on his short area speed correct? Also his turns are a noted problem in the defensive zone. 

Every player in the draft’s floor is a player that never sniffs success in the NHL. If a player’s true floor was Cirelli they’d be the first pick in any draft because floor suggests the chances are they will be much better. Being much better than Cirelli is a star-level player, guaranteed. Those don’t exist.

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Have we seen any rankings, since the World Championships that doesnt have Power as #1?   Probably too soon, I guess 
what’s the most mainstream site that doesn’t rank him #1? 

Elite Prospects, McKeens, Future Considerations, Scouch

Just now, Hoss said:

Every player in the draft’s floor is a player that never sniffs success in the NHL. If a player’s true floor was Cirelli they’d be the first pick in any draft because floor suggests the chances are they will be much better. Being much better than Cirelli is a star-level player, guaranteed. Those don’t exist.

His floor is above what Cirelli is. 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

That was a lazy question on my part.   Thanks for answering anyways 

He also falsely answered it. You said since Worlds. Elite Prospects has not done a ranking since May. McKeen since April. Future Considerations since “Spring.” I don’t know when Scouching did their rankings.

At this point, there’s a disingenuous approach to the conversation and I’m not longer interested.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.