Shopping Jack Eichel: Vegas

dudacek

Let’s face it, this is all we’re going to talk about over the next few months, so let’s just embrace it.

Every couple of days I’m going to open a thread looking at a different NHL team and how they might work as a trading partner for Eichel and let you guys chew on the possibilities.

We start with the Golden Knights:

Will they be interested?

Of course, Vegas is a win-now Stanley Cup contender interested in every big piece that comes on the market. They think big and one of the few things they lack is that star centre element.

Do they have the pieces?

Probably not. Peyton Krebs is a very good prospect and would have to be involved and Sabres fans love Alex Tuch, but is that enough? They have no cap room, but they have never been scared of moving cap. Would guys like Martinez, Karlsson, Smith and Marchesseault be on the table? Would the Sabres be interested? Can they be flipped for things the Sabres are more interested in?

Would this work?

Fleury, Tuch, Krebs, VGK 1st, NJD 2nd for Eichel and Bjork.

Fleury clears cap and gives the Sabres a good goalie for at least one year, Tuch is a needed power forward who can play top 6 now and for a long time, Krebs projects as a versatile, responsible potential 2-way top-sixer. The Sabres also get two lottery tickets. The Knights would have to find a new backup, but add Bjork for depth and basically add an offensive centrepiece at the price of Tuch from their current roster. Eichel actually makes their core a lot younger and extends their window.

Is there a deal to be made with the Knights?

• Like (+1) 1

Anything's possible. I read a fan written article today making an argument for him going to Boston (which I think is very unlikely myself). 

I don't think Fleury would be too happy coming here for one year. Not sure that's what you want to bring in. If he was actually interested okay, but I doubt it. Would you want to play your (potential) last year on a rebuild? 

If you want to deal him to a team like Vegas maybe you need to explore 3 ways. Fleury and somebody goes to a contender in need of a goalie for a cup run and they get picks and prospects back that they throw to us along with other bits. idk. It boggles the mind to think of all the possibilities, but Adams should explore them all and be creative. 

I'd rather have a few really good top prospects (Byfield types) than a whole bunch of mid level guys who may or may not fit in and perform. I'd go all youth and picks. No veterans who may be unhappy coming here. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Let’s face it, this is all we’re going to talk about over the next few months, so let’s just embrace it.

Every couple of days I’m going to open a thread looking at a different NHL team and how they might work as a trading partner for Eichel and let you guys chew on the possibilities.

Will they be interested?

Of course, Vegas is a win-now Stanley Cup contender interested in every big piece that comes on the market. They think big and one of the few things they lack is that star centre element.

Do they have the pieces?

Probably not. Peyton Krebs is a very good prospect and would have to be involved and Sabres fans love Alex Tuch, but is that enough? They have no cap room, but they have never been scared of moving cap. Would guys like Martinez, Karlsson, Smith and Marchesseault be on the table? Would the Sabres be interested? Can they be flipped for things the Sabres are more interested in?

Would this work?

Fleury clears cap and gives the Sabres a good goalie for at least one year, Tuch is a needed power forward who can play top 6 now and for a long time, Krebs projects as a versatile, responsible potential 2-way top-sixer. The Sabres also get two lottery tickets. The Knights would have to find a new backup, but add Bjork for depth and basically add an offensive centrepiece at the price of Tuch from their current roster. Eichel actually makes their core a lot younger and extends their window.

Martinez's contract is up at the end of the year. They'll have 21 players signed and 3mil in cap space going into next year.

Alright let's have a go at it.

Tuch would be my 1st target as he's a fast, big, player from Syracuse. His 4.75mil cap hit also aids in that cap crunch.

I want Glass and Krebs, why? Both haven't lit it up at the NHL level yet and are 22 and 20 respectively. Plus with Eichel they actually won't have a center role for them. (Their center depth would be Eichel, Karlsson, Stephenson, Roy/Kolesar)

From there I have to find some more cap, while Fleury would be the most preferable due to his skill and position of need; I just can't imagine him waiving to come here.

Thus we are left with Ryan Reaves at 1.75milx1 and Will Carrier at 1.4milx3

Lastly a 2021 1st 

Really the problem with Vegas is they have no game breaking potential piece. Krebs and Glass are solid prospects but neither are can't miss future 1Cs.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Will they be interested?

Do they have the pieces?

Would this work?

Forgive me -- maybe I'm being a homer but I really feel like this isn't nearly enough. We're losing Bjork (who I have actually enjoyed watching) and taking on Fleury? This trade is essentially a late first, a second, a solid second liner in Tuch, and an A-/B+ prospect in Krebs for Eichel, a player who, when healthy, is considered a top ten forward in the league. Unlikely, but I think if we throw in a second rounder and Vegas adds Cody Glass I'd be more okay with it.

If Vegas flames out in the playoffs I could see them making an aggressive push for a star center.  Would be a more veteran haul coming back given their cap space.  That would move our timeline up.  Playoff tested vets vs. higher end potential.  Hmmmm

If Vegas goes deep again I think they pursue minor tweeks and Jack isn’t a consideration.

1 hour ago, NAF said:

Forgive me -- maybe I'm being a homer but I really feel like this isn't nearly enough. We're losing Bjork (who I have actually enjoyed watching) and taking on Fleury? This trade is essentially a late first, a second, a solid second liner in Tuch, and an A-/B+ prospect in Krebs for Eichel, a player who, when healthy, is considered a top ten forward in the league. Unlikely, but I think if we throw in a second rounder and Vegas adds Cody Glass I'd be more okay with it.

I want another 1st rounder extra coming back for sure, but in the end Vegas doesn't have the high end prospect I would want in return.

Players like Eichel just don’t become available very often. I think there are multiple contending teams who will be interested if he is available. If Vegas loses out in their division then I think they will consider if the missing element is a true #1 centre. 

Vegas would need to make room. Although it is hard to know if we are on the no trade list of players, we need to assume we are. Tuch, Stephenson, McNabb would balance the cap. Krebs and a first would address the need for futures.  It’s a weird trade as it seems to be simultaneously too much and too little. Maybe from that perspective it actually works. 

If Reinhart returns, him Stephenson, Mitts would be a decent top 3 and we would be adding Tuch, Cozens and maybe Krebs to the wing. This opens up options to deal a winger or two for a different type of player. Olofsson for Wood +\- picks, as an example. Re-sign McCabe and Ullmark, acquire a solid b/u goalie and properly address the head coach position (whether Granato or someone else) and it looks like a roster that could compete and would be tough to play against. 

For discussion let’s just say we lose Asplund in the expansion draft, R2 ends up back in Rochester and we trade Risto for a pick (just for discussion):

Skinner/Reinhart/Tuch

Wood/Stephenson/Cozens

Krebs/Mittelstadt/Thompson

Bjork/Girgensens/Okposo/Eakin

Dahlin/Joker

McCabe/Miller

McNabb/Borgen

Bryson/Fitzgerald

Ullmark

Rittich

Rochester has R2,Quinn, Samuelsson, 6K and we have Peterka, this year’s first, Johnson and multiple other picks/prospects in the system  

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Thus we are left with Ryan Reaves at 1.75milx1 and Will Carrier at 1.4milx3

I don't think Vegas considers breaking up their 4th line, especially both its primary pieces. That 4th line is like the Isles' 4th line... it's the soul of the team and frequently changes the complexion of the game via either physicality or the timely goal. Unless....

2 hours ago, Weave said:

If Vegas flames out in the playoffs I could see them making an aggressive push for a star center.  Would be a more veteran haul coming back given their cap space.  That would move our timeline up.  Playoff tested vets vs. higher end potential.  Hmmmm

If Vegas goes deep again I think they pursue minor tweeks and Jack isn’t a consideration.

Yes. If Vegas flames out, then maybe they really go for the shakeup. "We had a super-balanced team of rejects, and we had the ultimate board-crashing physical 4th line and got close... now we need to go unbalanced and more top-heavy finesse with the superstar" mindset kicking in.

My other 2 Republic credits on the matter is --- If I'm an opposing GM I need to see Jack play again before I give up good-to-great value in a trade for him. He was hurt in every which way before and during this last season and looked like a shell of himself with no shot and no breakaway speed. I'm not going to the Sabres a fair price until Jack can demonstrate he's healthy and himself again.

So -- we need to find which team has a GM who covets Eichel like GMTM coveted Evander Kane. (He's hurt? All the better! We can get even worse to get him!) Or to find an owner (Dolan?) who covets Eichel like TPeg loved Ehrhoff or Leino.

When big ticket players become available, teams line up for a shot. Typically this is in free agency. Stamkos, Tavares, Pietrangelo (I have no idea if I spelled that correctly) all did tours I think. The difference in Eichel’s case is that teams would not be competing against a destination. They would not need to convince a player to leave the Gulf of Mexico or pass on signing with the team he dreamed of playing for as a boy. They just need to be the highest bidder. That will scare some teams away I think. Others it might encourage. 

49 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Players like Eichel just don’t become available very often. I think there are multiple contending teams who will be interested if he is available. If Vegas loses out in their division then I think they will consider if the missing element is a true #1 centre. 

Vegas would need to make room. Although it is hard to know if we are on the no trade list of players, we need to assume we are. Tuch, Stephenson, McNabb would balance the cap. Krebs and a first would address the need for futures.  It’s a weird trade as it seems to be simultaneously too much and too little. Maybe from that perspective it actually works. 

If Reinhart returns, him Stephenson, Mitts would be a decent top 3 and we would be adding Tuch, Cozens and maybe Krebs to the wing. This opens up options to deal a winger or two for a different type of player. Olofsson for Wood +\- picks, as an example. Re-sign McCabe and Ullmark, acquire a solid b/u goalie and properly address the head coach position (whether Granato or someone else) and it looks like a roster that could compete and would be tough to play against. 

For discussion let’s just say we lose Asplund in the expansion draft, R2 ends up back in Rochester and we trade Risto for a pick (just for discussion):

Skinner/Reinhart/Tuch

Wood/Stephenson/Cozens

Dahlin/Joker

McCabe/Miller

McNabb/Borgen

Bryson/Fitzgerald

Ullmark

Rittich

Rochester has R2,Quinn, Samuelsson, 6K and we have Peterka, this year’s first, Johnson and multiple other picks/prospects in the system  

This is insanity by far, when i look at those 4 lines i see a tanking team no joke. None of these players you've put together can be a game finisher. None of these players is smart enough.

This org should do everything in its power to keep Jack, this should be the main target and im pretty sure it is aswell no matter what comes on the table in terms
of offers from other teams. Convince Jack to stay and show him all the cards, hell Jack might be Captain material after all, just a late bloomer, who knows.

This org need to grow the **** up and hire a staff that has experiance, that should be the main concern here. We have good players, enough to create a winning atmosphere with. People seam to forget quick, just look what a unexperianced "head" coach did with this team. Find this team a real good coach and put don next to him and then try to aquirre a couple of good assets, specially a goalie. 

If Jack want's to leave then its another story, maybe he wants, who the hell would desire to play for this trash org other that they are known for paying well.
Stick with what you got if possible, turn this joke around and make something serious of it for once in a VERY long time.

Edit: Regarding Vegas though, i would not mind sending assets to them for Flury, just not Jack.

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

This is a great idea.  A lot easier to follow this way.

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I had more time today because in response to your team-specific threads I’d like to give a full breakdown of assets and my analysis of each team. Luckily with Vegas the analysis is relatively simple: they don’t have the matching pieces. Tuch is not a guy that moves the needle in an Eichel deal. Cody Glass isn’t either. I think they’ll have a strong desire if they fail to win the cup but their pieces are mostly aged out of what we should be pursuing.

My favorite asset from Vegas is Peyton Krebs.  I love that guy and feel he is a little underrated.  I think he is a near elite prospect, along the lines of guys like Turcotte, Kaliyev, Kakko, but behind Byfield, Lafreniere, Zegras.

Not just his skills, he is a player you can send out in any game situation and he is a natural leader type.

If Sabres are going to a near all youth rebuild type setup, I want players who can handle themselves.  Self driven players who can be positive influences even at a young age.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

My favorite asset from Vegas is Peyton Krebs.  I love that guy and feel he is a little underrated.  I think he is a near elite prospect, along the lines of guys like Turcotte, Kaliyev, Kakko, but behind Byfield, Lafreniere, Zegras.

Not just his skills, he is a player you can send out in any game situation and he is a natural leader type.

I agree with you. I think Turcotte is the best level prospect we'll get back - so I could see that being Krebs. 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with you. I think Turcotte is the best level prospect we'll get back - so I could see that being Krebs. 

I don’t know if they can get a higher tier prospect or not.

Yeah, similar level prospects and bring similar qualities as players.  I think Krebs might actually be a little better though.  That might be a hot take and I don’t think anyone would have said that 2 years ago.

Edited by Curt

Final thoughts on this.

IF Buffalo is not able make a deal for a truly elite prospect, Vegas is not a bad partner.

They can offer Fleury, who is expensive for a year, but still good, a near elite C prospect in Krebs, and some current roster help, and a type of player they should desire, in Tuch.  Then picks to balance.

One other Vegas prospect that I find interesting is Lukas Cormier, LD, 2nd round pick in 2020, who just exploded in his QMJHL season (they actually had one).  He is small at 5’10”, but put up 16 goals, 54 pts in 39 games as an 18 yr old.  He’s dynamic but will need more development time.  Not sure what he will become, but I’m intrigued.

14 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Skinner/Reinhart/Tuch

Wood/Stephenson/Cozens

Dahlin/Joker

McCabe/Miller

McNabb/Borgen

Bryson/Fitzgerald

Ullmark

Rittich

Your opening line exemplifies why the Sabres should work more towards a resolution, than a trade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I like Krebs game much more than Glass.

Two years younger, already the better hockey player. Competitive, versatile, responsible, good vision.

I’d say his floor is Jochen Hecht and his ceiling Patrick Sharp.

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like Krebs game much more than Glass.

Two years younger, already the better hockey player. Competitive, versatile, responsible, good vision.

I’d say his floor is Jochen Hecht and his ceiling Patrick Sharp.

No way. Patrick Sharp is way better looking. But I too like Krebs much more than Glass. Neither reach the ceiling I’m hoping for in this deal, though.

Most of those trades aren't nearly enough for Jack. If you do Vegas the deal should be Jack and Bryson and Boston's #2 for Tuch, Theodore, Krebs and Vegas' #1. Then you're talking and the only way Vegas does this is if they don't get out of the divisional rounds. You won't need Bryson because Theodore and Dahlin will take up 3/4's of LHD's TOI.

No way on Fleury 

On 5/18/2021 at 1:28 AM, dudacek said:

Would this work?

Not for me...

Fleury for one year? Yeah that's seems fair.  🤮.... Besides he won't be so stellar with our D in front of him

Tuch, nice player, acceptable "piece" of trade 

VGK first round pick is near the bottom of first round, which means other pieces of deal would have to be top notch which is why Fleury doesn't work because he is an old man. 

Krebs - no guarantees on him 

2nd rounder for Bjork....another younger player for one that shows he's an everyday player....no

This deal sucks....would get anyone fired

Edited by KC Scouts

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.