Peterka vs Quinn   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who cracks the lineup first and who is better long term

• Peterka cracks the lineup first and is better long term
    • Quinn cracks the lineup first and is better long term
    • Peterka cracks the lineup first but Quinn is better long term
    • Quinn cracks the lineup first but Peterka is better long term

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn is very underrated around here because of my posts about Rossi. JJ P has certainly exceeded where he was drafted. I think JJ will be a good NHL player. Quinn, I think he has a skill level above JJ that he'll operate at. 

Quinn is really a case study in "late bloomers" so we shall see. 

FIFY 

I based my answer ofQuinn cracks the lineup first but Peterka is better long term" off the world juniors. Quinn struggled at times when Peterka was one of the better players in the tournament. 

It helped that Peterka played with Stützle, but Canada was pretty stacked throughout their entire lineup.

7 hours ago, tom webster said:

Can’t let these kind of posts without commenting. While others disagree, I still feel playing in the AHL does nothing for development. Guys get to the level they are prepared to pay the price for. Casey needed years, not the AHL, to decide what he was willing to work for. 

I do have to disagree.

For certain players, it’s better for them to be getting 18-22 minutes a night in the AHL, and getting opportunities on special teams, than getting 6-8 minutes a night in the NHL. We have seen other teams use this very well, calling up players and plugging them in and they fit right away. The Sabres used to do this very well many years ago.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Rumor has it the following top 3 lines are written on a sticky note in Adams' office 

Ruotalainen - Beniers - Quinn

Olofsson - Cozens - Peterka

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson

So we got no too 9 forwards for masshole Jack?

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn's D1 season is hard to gage because he should have been in the OHL and played injured on a bad AHL team. I think that's a major factor in the appearance of "decline" in his production in Bader's model. 

This season is almost impossible to model I’m sure.

Also, how do you model missing a whole season after catching Covid and almost dying of an inflamed heart?  I’m a little concerned about Rossi going forward.  What if he loses 2%? 5%? 10% of his heart function?  What does that do to him as a hockey player?

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your stance. There certainly are rare exceptions such as Dahlin or Jack who are better suited to start off in the NHL. However, the advantage for most prospects is to get more playing time and various roles in the lower league. The issue for most of these young players isn't so much as paying the price as it is the maturation and development process. There is a learning curve and mastering something usually takes time and patience. Trust the process!

I completely agree with that last three sentences but believe you get the same results if your top five or ten prospects are practice squad players. I think minor league development is a myth and it’s more about letting players mature and develop at their own pace. I don’t believe any players washout because they are rushed or put in bad situations. The only possible caveat I would make is for goaltenders. Of course it’s an endless debate because there is no way to prove it without changing the rules and blowing up minor league hockey.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm curious who really pounded the table for Quinn.  It sucks that he'll always be compared to a former teammate, it isn't like its his fault he was drafted higher.

The only thing that doesnt make sense is how the comparisons factor in a Development+1 year considering rossi didn't play hockey this year.

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I completely agree with that last three sentences but believe you get the same results if your top five or ten prospects are practice squad players. I think minor league development is a myth and it’s more about letting players mature and develop at their own pace. I don’t believe any players washout because they are rushed or put in bad situations. The only possible caveat I would make is for goaltenders. Of course it’s an endless debate because there is no way to prove it without changing the rules and blowing up minor league hockey.

I think with goalies the key is playing time.  You don't develop playing like 20 games as the 2nd goalie, so it makes sense to play in the AHL where you can get more starts.

If the team is trying to make the playoffs (which should be every teams goal), you tend to want to keep developing players in the minors.  They tend to need to find a more complete game, they need to learn timing and how to play more effectively without the puck, get used to the travel and physical toll of a longer season, and just generally learn to be pro's.  If the players skating and ability mean they can do that in the NHL - great.  But some of these kids are 18 and they look like they're 15. They're used to skating around everyone and it just doesn't translate to the NHL where everyone's bigger and faster. 

Then you have guys like thompson who struggled with playing time.  Who knows if he's an NHLer because he barely played sometimes.  And yes, sometimes the shifts were awful or uninspired, and his trends looked terrible.  If you're going to play him 7 minutes a night with cody eakin, then he should play 16-18 in the AHL imo.  

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

I think with goalies the key is playing time.  You don't develop playing like 20 games as the 2nd goalie, so it makes sense to play in the AHL where you can get more starts.

If the team is trying to make the playoffs (which should be every teams goal), you tend to want to keep developing players in the minors.  They tend to need to find a more complete game, they need to learn timing and how to play more effectively without the puck, get used to the travel and physical toll of a longer season, and just generally learn to be pro's.  If the players skating and ability mean they can do that in the NHL - great.  But some of these kids are 18 and they look like they're 15. They're used to skating around everyone and it just doesn't translate to the NHL where everyone's bigger and faster. 

Then you have guys like thompson who struggled with playing time.  Who knows if he's an NHLer because he barely played sometimes.  And yes, sometimes the shifts were awful or uninspired, and his trends looked terrible.  If you're going to play him 7 minutes a night with cody eakin, then he should play 16-18 in the AHL imo.  

Again, I respect this opinion, just am not on board with the traditional beliefs with regard to player development. 

11 hours ago, Curt said:

This season is almost impossible to model I’m sure.

Also, how do you model missing a whole season after catching Covid and almost dying of an inflamed heart?  I’m a little concerned about Rossi going forward.  What if he loses 2%? 5%? 10% of his heart function?  What does that do to him as a hockey player?

The charts all said he was similar in his D+1 which makes no sense.  Briere had a 47, and rossi had a 0.  

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Again, I respect this opinion, just am not on board with the traditional beliefs with regard to player development. 

There's obvious exceptions.  When you watched eakin play for long stretches the team was clearly desperate for another center.  I dont care if the guys 18, you need to play the best guys.  Don't hide a player in the minors if he's better than a guy on your roster.  

Irwin is fine as a 7th guy (assuming you had everyone healthy to start the year it should have probably been miller).  You want Bryson to get playing time I get it.  But when McCabe goes down for the year, it isn't irwins chance.  It's brysons chance.  Trade Montour, bring in borgen full time.  Kruegers vet obsession was a little over the top because it ended up keeping fringe NHL players in lineups far longer than they should.  

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I have a respectful but fundamental disagreement on the issue of player development. For most prospects playing games at the lower levels enhances development compared to being a practice player. I consider Mitts as a good example of my perspective. He was rushed and overwhelmed. When he got more playing time and responsibility in the AHL he was more prepared to handle the rigors of the NHL. 

25 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I think minor league development is a myth and it’s more about letting players mature and develop at their own pace. I don’t believe any players washout because they are rushed or put in bad situations.

I agree with this, especially the bolded. 

38 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm curious who really pounded the table for Quinn.  It sucks that he'll always be compared to a former teammate, it isn't like its his fault he was drafted higher.

The only thing that doesnt make sense is how the comparisons factor in a Development+1 year considering rossi didn't play hockey this year.

Quinn really didn’t either.  At least nothing worth noting. 

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree with this, especially the bolded. 

I agree with the statement as well, good players find a way.  One issue i could see is that they look poor on your nhl team, and then be considered expendable or a trade chip.  Theodore and Tuch with Vegas are examples of good players who were moved at a young age thinking they had become a player, and becoming much more with a different role.  You could say the same about buakovsky, hartman, Teräväinen are also similar kind of players.  

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yep. And in the only big stage they played on, Rossi put up zero points and -6 in four WJC games while Quinn had 5 points and +10 in 7.

Quinn had a hernia and Rossi had COVID. It's hard see how anything that happened this year could have "widened" the gap.

I wonder if Devils fans are carrying on this painful conversation about Holtz, or the Wings about Raymond, or if it's just something Sabresfans do?

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Rough season probably for all the drafted prospects.  He played in the WJC and some AHL games.  He also at least went through an NHL camp and practiced with AHL teams for most of the year.  I don't think it was ideal at all - but i wouldn't be surprised to see him with the big club next year.  

I do love quinn's shot though, he seems really natural transitioning from stick handling to shooting.  Comfortable around the net.  If they keep him in the minors (no idea the rules on if thats allowed), I think they'll try and make him a center, his game seems to involve the center of the ice quite a bit. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.