2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

1 hour ago, Curt said:

That’s good.  Appears that he wants to show everyone (1) hey look, I’m healthy! and (2) hey look, I really want to be in NA!

Not surprising given previous reports that he tried to come over for his draft season but a visa snafu held him up.

I would feel really good about drafting him at #16.

Even better at 28.  Will be fascinating to watch this draft

I hate to update the consensus rankings again so soon, but actually I found 2 updates for some of the rankings in my list of 15.

The 15 are 2  each from the Athletic and TSN, Sportsnet, THN, THW, Dobber, McKeens (but only to 32), Yahoo, Smaht, Daily Faceoff, Draft Prospects, FC/Sportsing News, and Leafsnation.

Top 7 - Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek, Savoie and Kemell

8-12 - Gauthier, Lekkerimaki, Nazar, Yurov, Korchinski

13-16 - Mintyukov, Mateychuk, Lambert and Kasper - I feel much better about Lambert after hearing about his amazing skating from Kris Baker.

17-20 - Geekie, Ohgren, McGroarty, and Howard

21-23 - Kulich, Miroshniichenko, Ostlund

24-28 - Snuggerud, Firkus, Pickering, Mesar, Chesley

29-32 - Gaucher, Luneau, Bichsel, Odelius

Second Rd

33-35 - Beck, Hutson, Del Bel Belluz

36-38 - Casey, Goyette, Rinzel

39-42 - Trikozov, Havelid, Hughes, Nelson - Maybe we take RHD Havelid at 41 and then his twin brother a goalie later in the draft.

43-47 - Bystedt, Zhilkin, Salomonsson, Lorenz, Sapovaliv

48-51 - Perevalov, Schaefer, Lamoureux, Lutz

52-55 - Nyman, Forsmark, Ingram, Hamara

56-60 - Lund, Warren, Sykora, Lindgren, Ludwinski, 

61-65 - McConnell-Baker, Poitras, James, Grudinin and Minten

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Given the various tiers, I want to balance out speed and power among whoever is my BPA, while ensuring a RHD (or Hutson) is one of the 4 picks. My preference is listed 1st. And if for some wild reason Jiricek falls, I take him at 9. This year I play it conservative and make my high picks rather than trade up -- there are still too many gaps in the pipeline to bundle and move around too much. And day 2 of the draft I take a couple goalies.

Option 1: 9) Savoie/Nazar; 16) Miroshnichenko/Ohgren/Yurov; 28) Chesley/Rinzel; 41) Trikozov/Beck

Option 2: 9) Kasper/Gauthier; 16) Ohgren/Miroshnicenko/Yurov; 28) Snuggerud/Trikozov/Gaucher; 41) Chesley/Hutson/Rinzel/Havelid/Nelson/Salomonsson

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Given the various tiers, I want to balance out speed and power among whoever is my BPA, while ensuring a RHD (or Hutson) is one of the 4 picks. My preference is listed 1st. And if for some wild reason Jiricek falls, I take him at 9. This year I play it conservative and make my high picks rather than trade up -- there are still too many gaps in the pipeline to bundle and move around too much. And day 2 of the draft I take a couple goalies.

Option 1: 9) Savoie/Nazar; 16) Miroshnichenko/Ohgren/Yurov; 28) Chesley/Rinzel; 41) Trikozov/Beck

Option 2: 9) Kasper/Gauthier; 16) Ohgren/Miroshnicenko/Yurov; 28) Snuggerud/Trikozov/Gaucher; 41) Chesley/Hutson/Rinzel/Havelid/Nelson/Salomonsson

These are solid choices. In option 1, would you take Kasper at 16 if he is still there? I could see taking Trikozov/Beck at 28.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to update the consensus rankings againso soon, but actually I found 2 updates for some of the rankings in my list of 15.

The 15 are 2  each from the Athletic and TSN, Sportsnet, THN, THW, Dobber, McKeens (but only to 32), Yahoo, Smaht, Daily Faceoff, Draft Prospects, FC/Sportsing News, and Leafsnation.

Top 7 - Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek, Savoie and Kemell

8-12 - Gauthier, Lekkerimaki, Nazar, Yurov, Korchinski

13-16 - Mintyukov, Mateychuk, Lambert and Kasper - I feel much better about Lambert have hearing about his amazing skating from Kris Baker.

17-20 - Geekie, Ohgren, McGroarty, and Howard

21-23 - Kulich, Miroshniichenko, Ostlund

24-28 - Snuggerud, Firkus, Pickering, Mesar, Chesley

29-32 - Gaucher, Luneau, Bichsel,

Second Rd

33-35 - Odelius, Beck, Hutson, Del Bel Belluz

36-38 - Casey, Goyette, Rinzel

39-42 - Trikozov, Havelid, Hughes, Nelson - Maybe we take RHD Havelid at 41 and then his twin brother a goalie later in the draft.

43-47 - Bystedt, Zhilkin, Salomonsson, Lorenz, Sapovaliv

48-51 - Perevalov, Schaefer, Lamoureux, Lutz

52-55 - Nyman, Forsmark, Ingram, Hamara

56-60 - Lund, Warren, Sykora, Lindgren, Ludwinski, 

61-65 - McConnell-Baker, Poitras, James, Grudinin and Minten

I like this ranking a lot, no one is much out of place.

You are missing someone in 29-32 though.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

These are solid choices. In option 1, would you take Kasper at 16 if he is still there? I could see taking Trikozov/Beck at 28.

That's the big question in diversifying. If I get the skilled/fast center at 9, do I double up on the center at 16 or go for a potential high-impact winger in Ohgren/Miro/Yurov. If prioritizing centers within the same tier...  Then yes, I might just do that.

Savoie/Nazar, Kasper (or Kulich or Lambert), Trikozov, RHD also works for me.

21 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not gonna lie... after pick like 40... everyone starts to blend in somewhat and it has made creating a list pretty difficult. Anyways hopefully on Tuesday I will have it all done and it should be around 70 names but this is a weird draft.

After that, my guess is most people's interest in the draft wanes until they actually see the kids perform the following season.  Bloom, Nadeau (although I liked him on draft day), Kozak and Novikov were all mostly unknown to even most draft observers like us and their blossoming this past season was fun to watch.

Even beyond those guys, I don't remember the last time we saw so many of our prospects across the board taking such a big step forward (ok except UPL).  Levi, Rousek, Cederqvist, Huglen, Portillo, Costantini, and of course JJP and Quinn all had great years.  With so many guys stepping forward, it's really hard to create a prospects ranking chart, which is a great problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:12 AM, Buffalonill said:

Lets,get this up now since we're gonna be in the bottom of the league for the  Foreseeable future

1. Shane Wright (C, CAN)

2. Brad Lambert (C, FIN)

3. Matthew Savoie (C, CAN)
3. Ivan Miroshnichenko (LW, RUS)
4. Simon Nemec (D, SLK)
5. Maddox Fleming (F, USA)
6. Tristan Luneau (D, CAN)
7. Rutger McGroarty (C, USA)
8. Danila Yurov (F, RUS)
9. Isaac Howard (LW, USA)
11. Seamus Casey (D, USA)
12. Jack Hughes (F, USA)
13. David Jiricek (D, CZE)
14. Juraj Slafkovsky (LW, SLK)
15. Jack Devine (F, USA)
16. Frank Nazar (RW, USA)

Mock draft

2022 sites 

https://drafthd.com/2022-nhl-mock-draft/

https://www.lines.com/nhl/drafts/2022

https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/126261

Screenshot-20210725-160507-Chrome-2.jpg

Three-Headed Monster: Meet Wright, Savoie and Lambert, the next great draft trio

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/three-headed-monster-meet-wright-savoie-and-lambert-the-next-great-draft-trio

Interesting to revisit the opening post to see what perceptions were a year ago

Who the ***** is Maddox Fleming

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting to revisit the opening post to see what perceptions were a year ago

Who the ***** is Maddox Fleming

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/593365/maddox-fleming

I was curious.

Looks like he was with the USNDTP and dropped out. He played in the USHL and had decent numbers. 
I haven’t seen his name mentioned anywhere this season.

Ideal draft IMO:

9: traded up with pick 41 (maybe Ryan Johnson too/instead) for pick5/6 where Nemec has fallen. Sabres take Nemec and in 2 years have a top 4 of 
Power-Dahlin

Samuelsson-Nemec

16: Take Yurov (if he’s still there) and get a prospect with top 10 skill that could be an elite first line winger in the future.

28: a little less sure for this pick, but definitely would be quite happy with Miro/Lambert as another boom/bust pick that could have incredible return. 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder how this changes things 

If at all

That changes everything.. Russian hockey players will have defect like the olden days. I wouldn't draft a Russian that isn't already out of the country

I wouldn't be surprised if this news sends a signal to Russian Athletes and they start trying to get out in advance.

On a positive note this can't be good for most of the Russian population who I guess won't be happy seeing their sons drafted for Putin's war.

On interesting side note Is Fedotov’s Team is CSKA which is the Red Army and also Putin’s Favorite KHL Team. I wonder if this will apply to all players in Russia or only those from CSKA. 

From a Sabres Perspective Prokhor Poltapov also plays for the same organization but he is signed through the 2024-25 Season anyways and a lot can happen in 3 seasons 

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

On interesting side note Is Fedotov’s Team is CSKA which is the Red Army and also Putin’s Favorite KHL Team. I wonder if this will apply to all players in Russia or only those from CSKA. 

From a Sabres Perspective Prokhor Poltapov also plays for the same organization but he is signed through the 2024-25 Season anyways and a lot can happen in 3 seasons 

This is a very good point.

CSKA is kind of a team apart.  It is formerly the team that all the Soviet national team players played for, the KHLs most successful team, Putin’s favorite team, and also it is owned by the Russian government.  Normal rules do not apply to this team.

Also, I couldn’t find it anywhere, but I wonder what Fedetov’s KHL contract status is.  Was his KHL contract complete or was he attempting to skip out on part of his contract?  That makes a big difference.

19 hours ago, ddaryl said:

That changes everything.. Russian hockey players will have defect like the olden days. I wouldn't draft a Russian that isn't already out of the country

I wouldn't be surprised if this news sends a signal to Russian Athletes and they start trying to get out in advance.

On a positive note this can't be good for most of the Russian population who I guess won't be happy seeing their sons drafted for Putin's war.

I don’t think that’s the case.  Plenty of other Russian players have signed contracts to come over to the NHL this offseason.  None of them have been arrested apart from Fedotov.  I think we need to ask what makes this particular case different.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.