2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think that’s the case.  Plenty of other Russian players have signed contracts to come over to the NHL this offseason.  None of them have been arrested apart from Fedotov.  I think we need to ask what makes this particular case different.

CSKA is  Military they don't ***** around i'm worred about Matvei they own his rights. 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

Fedorov’s contract was up and he was signed by the Flyers after the World Championships. Sounds like everything was above board. Perhaps all they want is more money from the Flyers.

My guess is the Russian government is clamping down on people leaving and keeping an elite level athlete is a form of retaliation vs the countries that have imposed sanctions.

Teams will be wary of drafting Russians more than ever. Maybe CSKA is where this can be enforced but who knows what measures they can take.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Me too

If we dont get a legit goalie we will be.

No we won't. We didn't have a legit goalie last year, half he team was on IR, and they still managed to claw and fight their way to 9th worst.

This team is going to be a bubble team and again, I don't worry about a player that will have 3 more years in Russia regardless of who drafts him.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No we won't. We didn't have a legit goalie last year, half he team was on IR, and they still managed to claw and fight their way to 9th worst.

This team is going to be a bubble team and again, I don't worry about a player that will have 3 more years in Russia regardless of who drafts him.

Ok let's see what happens with out a legit goalie again. 

We're not the avalanche

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Fedorov’s contract was up and he was signed by the Flyers after the World Championships. Sounds like everything was above board. Perhaps all they want is more money from the Flyers.

My guess is the Russian government is clamping down on people leaving and keeping an elite level athlete is a form of retaliation vs the countries that have imposed sanctions.

Teams will be wary of drafting Russians more than ever. Maybe CSKA is where this can be enforced but who knows what measures they can take.

Fedotov’s KHL contract was up?  Not to be a pain, but do you have a source for this?  I did a search and didn’t come up with the info.  I’m interested in that particular piece of information because I think it’s an important point.

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The issue for the Russian prospects isn't so much whether they will be drafted as it is how it affects where they will be drafted? It wouldn't be surprising that if a drafting team has a choice of taking a non-Russian prospect in the same tier of a Russian player, the team will take the non-Russian player because there is less possible complication. On the other hand, with a team like the Sabres who have a lot of picks they are in a good position to take a highly rated Russian and deal with the added risks and complications. Miro at the 28 spot would be a steal.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder how this changes things 

If at all

But this isn't anything new is it (the requirement for military service)?

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I thought there are a number of countries that have a military requirement.  I though Ristolainen had to complete his before coming to the Sabres (maybe only 6 months).  I'm pretty sure countries like Finland and Sweden have a military commitment (or assessment) when they turn 18.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Fedotov’s KHL contract was up?  Not to be a pain, but do you have a source for this?  I did a search and didn’t come up with the info.  I’m interested in that particular piece of information because I think it’s an important point.

My mistake, I cannot find a source that says his contract was up. Because he signed with Philly I assumed he was a FA.

Newsweek says he self term8nated his contract with CSKA, that would trigger a response.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

My mistake, I cannot find a source that says his contract was up. Because he signed with Philly I assumed he was a FA.

Newsweek says he self term8nated his contract with CSKA, that would trigger a response.

If it’s true that he attempted to “self terminate” his contract, whatever that even really means, then I can understand why this happened.  Russian players are not going to be able to come to North America until their KHL contracts are completed. I think that’s generally already been accepted as fact.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

If it’s true that he attempted to “self terminate” his contract, whatever that even really means, then I can understand why this happened.  Russian players are not going to be able to come to North America until their KHL contracts are completed. I think that’s generally already been accepted as fact.

Was going to say something to this effect.  You stated it better.  🍺

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres were not a bubble team last year. I agree with you that they should be a bubble team this year. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres were not a bubble team last year. I agree with you that they should be a bubble team this year. 

Thus his inclusion of the word "AND" between "team" and "again."  Again was referring to his being repetitive with his comments about Russian Players, NOT that the Sabres were a bubble team last year.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Thus his inclusion of the word "AND" between "team" and "again."  Again was referring to his being repetitive with his comments about Russian Players, NOT that the Sabres were a bubble team last year.

I went back and reread his post. You are correct that I misread his comment. Would you deliver an apology for me. I don't want to antagonize him because sometimes he can get a little ornery. 😃

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:35 AM, Curt said:

I don’t think that’s the case.  Plenty of other Russian players have signed contracts to come over to the NHL this offseason.  None of them have been arrested apart from Fedotov.  I think we need to ask what makes this particular case different.

I guess I expect the worst from Putin's Russia.

Haven't heard any other problems.... Yet

30 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I don’t get the optimism.  I expect that these stories will only become more numerous as the war in Ukraine continues.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t get the optimism.  I expect that these stories will only become more numerous as the war in Ukraine continues.

I don’t know what’s going to happen exactly, I just wouldn’t want to be too reactionary and overly cautious.

Yes, I could see this happening again to a KHL player who tries to tear up his KHL contract in favor of the NHL, especially CSKA players, but I don’t think it will occur with players who finish out their KHL contracts.

Who knows what the situation will be like in a couple years?  Could be better, could be worse.  Putin might not even be in power or even alive by the time these prospects are turning 21-22.

If other teams are going to be extremely averse to drafting Russians, you might be able to get real leg up by drafting them a round or two or three below their talent level.  I would take the risk in some instances.  This is quite a good crop of Russian prospects too, much better than average.  I don’t really care if it takes them 4 years to get over to the NHL.  They could show up as near fully developed 22-23 year olds ready to contribute (while on an ELC too).

Edited by Curt

Was listening to some podcast today and they mentioned that younger players are exempt from this national service as they count as students. As Fedotov was older he has to complete his service. I'm sure the CSKA association did not help in his case. But I'm not too sure that all players attempting to head to the NHL will be conscripted. 

I will add a link to the podcast when I remember which one.....

This is the one -
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/141949906 is discussed within the first 3 minutes or so. 

Edited by steveoath
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Idk this draft is weird and I haven't had as much time for it as I would like. Oddly I have had way more resources than normal so maybe this will all come together anyways. There is probably an error somewhere in here but it's 24 hours to the draft and I don't feel like working on this anymore. I think I have created better rankings in the past though but anyways...

Here is Liger's Lads for the 2022 NHL entry draft @rakish

1              Shane Wright (C)

2              Logan Cooley (C)

3              Simon Nemec (RHD)

4              David Jiricek (RHD)

5              Juraj Slafkovský (LW)

6              Frank Nazar (C/RW)

7              Pavel Mintyukov (LHD)

8              Liam Öhgren (LW)

9              Matthew Savoie (C)

10           Marco Kasper (C)

11           Denton Mateychuk (LHD)

12           Joakim Kemell (RW)

13           Danila Yurov (RW)

14           Jonathan Lekkerimäki (RW)

15           Cutter Gauthier (C/LW)

16           Owen Beck (C)

17           Isaac Howard (LW)

18           Kevin Korchinski (D)

19           Jiri Kulich (C)

20           Gleb Trikozov (C/RW)

21           Jagger Firkus (RW)

22           Conor Geekie (C)

23           Rutger McGroarty (C)

24           Noah Östlund (C)

25           Ivan Miroshnichenko (LW)

26           Brad Lambert (C/RW)

27           Nathan Gaucher (C)

28           Ryan Chesley (RHD)

29           Jimmy Snuggerud (W)

30           Calle Odelius (LHD)

31           Owen Pickering (LHD)

32           Mattias Hävelid (RHD)

33      Lane Hutson LHD

34      Filip Mesar W/C

35      David Goyette C

36      Daniil Zhilkin C

37      Vinzenz Rohrer RW

38      Adam Ingram C/LW

39      Christian Kyrou LHD

40      Hunter Haight C/RW

41      Adam Sykora LW/RW

42     Devin Kaplan RW

43     Cameron Lund C/RW

44     Filip Bystedt C

45     Lian Bichsel LHD

46     Jack Hughes C

47     Luca Del Bel Belluz C

48     Jani Nyman LW

49     Alexander Perevalov LW

50     Julian Lutz LW/RW

51     Sam Rinzel RHD

52     Michael LaStarza LW

53     Jordan Gustafson LW

54     Beau Jelsma LW

55     Nicholas Moldenhauer C/RW

56     Fraser Minten LW

57     Pano Fimis C

58     Servác Petrovský C

59     Reid Schaefer LW

60     Tristan Luneau RHD

61     Seamus Casey RHD

62     Bryce McConnell-Barker C

63     Logan Morrison (OA) C

64     Paul Ludwinski C

65     Noah Warren RHD

66     Alex Sotek RW

67     Michael Fisher RHD

68     Mikey Milne (OA) LW

69     Vladimir Grudinin LHD

70     Jordan Dumais LW

71     Hudson Thornton LHD

72     Elias Salomonsson RHD

73     Owen Van Steensel LW

74     Marcus Nguyen RW

75     Rieger Lorenz C

76     Daimon Gardner C

77     Ty Nelson RHD

78     Ryan Healey RHD

79     Avery Hayes (OA) C/RW

80     Zach Bookman (OA) RHD

81     Kenta Isogai LW

Key:

RHD = Right Handed Defender

LHD = Left Handed Defender

RW = Right Wing

LW = Left Wing

W = Winger

C = Center

OA = Overager

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.