2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

33 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I’d like the Sabres to look at Noah Warren with the second round pick. He’s a big, stay at home rd, someone I could see pairing well with power in 4-5 years.

In a similar vein:

I’m not really in favor of taking a LHD, but Liam Bichsel is someone who really grabs my interest.  He is a primarily defensive D, big and physical, but a good skater with somewhat mixed reviews on his offensive upside.  6’5” 215.  I saw some video of him playing RD too.

He is Swiss but played in Sweden last season.  He consistently played regular shifts in the SHL which not many 17 yr olds are able to do, especially defensemen, so he can’t be too terribly raw.

There is not that much info out there on this guy but I get a good feeling about him.  He is generally ranked in the 25-45 range and I wouldn’t be upset about taking him at 28 or 41.  Anyone else have an opinion on this guy?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

In a similar vein:

I’m not really in favor of taking a LHD, but Liam Bichsel is someone who really grabs my interest.  He is a primarily defensive D, big and physical, but a good skater with somewhat mixed reviews on his offensive upside.  6’5” 215.  I saw some video of him playing RD too.

He is Swiss but played in Sweden last season.  He consistently played regular shifts in the SHL which not many 17 yr olds are able to do, especially defensemen, so he can’t be too terribly raw.

There is not that much info out there on this guy but I get a good feeling about him.  He is generally ranked in the 25-45 range and I wouldn’t be upset about taking him at 28 or 41.  Anyone else have an opinion on this guy?

From the limited things I’ve read on him, I’ve seen that he is really aggressive in the offensive zone, and often overplays in the neutral zone. Not saying he’s a bad prospect or anything, but doesn’t really come across as a stay at home D to me. 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

From the limited things I’ve read on him, I’ve seen that he is really aggressive in the offensive zone, and often overplays in the neutral zone. Not saying he’s a bad prospect or anything, but doesn’t really come across as a stay at home D to me. 

Not that I know anything... but a big guy who is a good skater... why not take a chance at 41

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Interesting, I haven’t really seen him described as extremely aggressive in the neutral or offensive zone.  You have any reports that you can share with me?

I don’t know if he should be described as a stay at home defenseman, but from everything I’ve seen I would definitely say that he is described as defense first.  He has some offensive tools but they are raw.

Maybe he could end up like a Samuelsson where we would say that he is a shutdown guy, but you see him get down below the goal line in the offensive zone a couple times a game.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

In a similar vein:

What I've read more matches what you're seeing.

I'm in favour of taking defencemen late in the first and early in the second because they generally seem to do better than the forwards taken around there.

He doesn't excite me, but taking someone expected to go 10 or 15 spots higher certainly does.

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

Interesting, I haven’t really seen him described as extremely aggressive in the neutral or offensive zone.  You have any reports that you can share with me?

I don’t know if he should be described as a stay at home defenseman, but from everything I’ve seen I would definitely say that he is described as defense first.  He has some offensive tools but they are raw.

Maybe he could end up like a Samuelsson where we would say that he is a shutdown guy, but you see him get down below the goal line in the offensive zone a couple times a game.

I looked at some more scouting reports and found the one I had read was an outlier, though other scouting reports did mention some not great offensive awareness, which would line up with making some mistakes in the neutral zone. Most said he was good in his own end, and good physically, but one did mention he needed to improve his physical awareness though.

6 hours ago, Curt said:

In a similar vein:

Just my guess but I think he gets taken way earlier than anyone anticipates.   He could even l be this years Seider /Edvinsson and get taken in the top 10

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not sure, but given the fact that His Treatments have stopped I imagine He is in remission 

16, baby, along with Gauthier at 9.

I'd much rather leave this year with Rantanen and Tarasenko than Tyson Jost and Nick Kunin.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Does that mean he’s in remission or just able to train again?

Miroshnichenko met with NHL personnel in Germany during the world championships last month.  At that time it was reported that he told NHL teams that he was in remission.

• Like (+1) 1

Count me in @dudacek / others camp with Gauthier. But I also expect him to be gone by 9 -- shooters with that size and skill don't come around often -- so a player I've really started to hone in on is Marco Kasper. While he'd be a dream at 16, I could see a scenario where he continues his rise to 9. Here's why I wouldn't be mad about it:

For one, I think he is the most NHL ready prospect in the draft. He played 46 games (>11 minutes per) in his second season on one of the best teams in the SHL, and finished the year strong with 6 points in 13 playoff games. He also "played very well for Austria’s senior team, including four points in three games performance at a tournament in November and a major role for their World Championship team" (Athletic). The tape I've seen confirms this -- he was consistently leaned on to carry the puck through the neutral zone and gain zone entries, which he did often and with ease against men. 

What I really love about Marco is his reputation as a "wrecking ball" and "violent" skater (again, mostly playing men). From Elite Prospects: "Kasper starts every game by taking a run at someone along the boards. He looks for every possible opportunity to run into someone, limited only by his lack of strength. But Kasper’s physicality isn’t mindless. It’s integral to his game. He seems to thrive when turning hockey into pinball. Because when he’s locked into the physical aspect, he’s also winning footraces on pucks, turning board battles into inside-lane attacks, and stretching the ice with well-timed sprints to the opposing blue line." There's a bit of pest to his game and you can see him getting under opposing team's skin.

When matched with his level of skill, I see Marco as the player type KA is looking to build around. I'd call him a powerful two-way, pass first center who can easily slot in to the Amerks top 6 or even the Sabres 3rd line out of camp (at least for the first 9 games). I see some Mason McTavish to his game and I can see him taking a similar path in his first year. He's a dynamic skater who pops off the screen when he has the puck, especially when he's able to gain speed through the neutral zone. He's got some dangle to him and is slick in tight spaces, especially around the net (where he drives consistently). He has great vision and is creative with his passing. It's also no surprise that he's a puck hound who is aggressive on the forecheck and in his own zone. He saw PK time in the SHL. 

He needs to improve his wrist shot and add strength, but has a great frame at 6'1" 200 lbs frame and is extremely coachable according to his SHL coach. All character reports I've read are positive.

I haven't seen him talked about much on the draft threads so curious to hear what others think. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

Count me in @dudacek / others camp with Gauthier. But I also expect him to be gone by 9 -- shooters with that size and skill don't come around often -- so a player I've really started to hone in on is Marco Kasper. While he'd be a dream at 16, I could see a scenario where he continues his rise to 9. Here's why I wouldn't be mad about it:

For one, I think he is the most NHL ready prospect in the draft. He played 46 games (>11 minutes per) in his second season on one of the best teams in the SHL, and finished the year strong with 6 points in 13 playoff games. He also "played very well for Austria’s senior team, including four points in three games performance at a tournament in November and a major role for their World Championship team" (Athletic). The tape I've seen confirms this -- he was consistently leaned on to carry the puck through the neutral zone and gain zone entries, which he did often and with ease against men. 

What I really love about Marco is his reputation as a "wrecking ball" and "violent" skater (again, mostly playing men). From Elite Prospects: "Kasper starts every game by taking a run at someone along the boards. He looks for every possible opportunity to run into someone, limited only by his lack of strength. But Kasper’s physicality isn’t mindless. It’s integral to his game. He seems to thrive when turning hockey into pinball. Because when he’s locked into the physical aspect, he’s also winning footraces on pucks, turning board battles into inside-lane attacks, and stretching the ice with well-timed sprints to the opposing blue line." There's a bit of pest to his game and you can see him getting under opposing team's skin.

When matched with his level of skill, I see Marco as the player type KA is looking to build around. I'd call him a powerful two-way, pass first center who can easily slot in to the Amerks top 6 or even the Sabres 3rd line out of camp (at least for the first 9 games). I see some Mason McTavish to his game and I can see him taking a similar path in his first year. He's a dynamic skater who pops off the screen when he has the puck, especially when he's able to gain speed through the neutral zone. He's got some dangle to him and is slick in tight spaces, especially around the net (where he drives consistently). He has great vision and is creative with his passing. It's also no surprise that he's a puck hound who is aggressive on the forecheck and in his own zone. He saw PK time in the SHL. 

He needs to improve his wrist shot and add strength, but has a great frame at 6'1" 200 lbs frame and is extremely coachable according to his SHL coach. All character reports I've read are positive.

I haven't seen him talked about much on the draft threads so curious to hear what others think. 

Salam Alaikum, Brother.

A very well thought out and delivered message.  Thanks.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I haven’t dug into Kaspar at all yet. My one viewing didn’t catch my attention.

Thanks for this.

I dig Kasper. The Athletic's Pronman has Kasper rated #9. Based on podcasts and not the linked article, Kasper is in top 10 not because of what Pronman thinks but because of how his contacts in the league are talking. I'm looking at who is drafting 8 and 9 and their needs --- Detroit, Buffalo. They need/crave 200-ft centers who can be a part of a young core and play the high-energy, attacking style, and basically could be plug-and-play contributors in 2023-24 (not this next 22-23 season) like an Anton Lundell.

Like you, I really wish he'd be there at 16, but I'm feeling he's an Yzerman or Adams style guy. He's a Zemgus that I see as a center, not a wing.

Looking close at Detroit -- they've taken a boatload of D with their rebuild picks, including sneaky good high picks on Seider (several picks higher than expected) and Edvinsson (maybe 2-3 picks higher than expected). But more to the point, they've stockpiled on recent 2nd-rounders on D. At #8, if they do sneak in a D-man that's down the ladder a bit, I could see them looking at Bichsel. Feels like a reach, but with the track record on Seider and Edvinsson, it's hard to argue with any D they take. However, Detroit needs forwards in their pipeline, particularly 2-way centers.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I dig Kasper. The Athletic's Pronman has Kasper rated #9. Based on podcasts and not the linked article, Kasper is in top 10 not because of what Pronman thinks but because of how his contacts in the league are talking. I'm looking at who is drafting 8 and 9 and their needs --- Detroit, Buffalo. They need/crave 200-ft centers who can be a part of a young core and play the high-energy, attacking style, and basically could be plug-and-play contributors in 2023-24 (not this next 22-23 season) like an Anton Lundell.

Like you, I really wish he'd be there at 16, but I'm feeling he's an Yzerman or Adams style guy. He's a Zemgus that I see as a center, not a wing.

Looking close at Detroit -- they've taken a boatload of D with their rebuild picks, including sneaky good high picks on Seider (several picks higher than expected) and Edvinsson (maybe 2-3 picks higher than expected). But more to the point, they've stockpiled on recent 2nd-rounders on D. At #8, if they do sneak in a D-man that's down the ladder a bit, I could see them looking at Bichsel. Feels like a reach, but with the track record on Seider and Edvinsson, it's hard to argue with any D they take. However, Detroit needs forwards in their pipeline, particularly 2-way centers.

throw-up-dry-heave.gif

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agree that Kasper seems like a Red Wing type of pick, especially if Yzerman's stable of Swedish scouts see what many others are beginning to. 

And I understand the comp to Z to a point, and the obvious trepidation of wasting another top draft pick on a high energy guy. But I'd say Kasper has loads more skill. In my opinion, he's a high skill forward with some bite to his game, whereas Z was a bruiser with some skill who mostly outmuscled his peers in the USHL. Kasper certainly isn't outmuscling most in the SHL.

15 hours ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

Agree that Kasper seems like a Red Wing type of pick, especially if Yzerman's stable of Swedish scouts see what many others are beginning to. 

And I understand the comp to Z to a point, and the obvious trepidation of wasting another top draft pick on a high energy guy. But I'd say Kasper has loads more skill. In my opinion, he's a high skill forward with some bite to his game, whereas Z was a bruiser with some skill who mostly outmuscled his peers in the USHL. Kasper certainly isn't outmuscling most in the SHL.

Oh yes, definitely higher skill than Zemgus. But he's got that similar (locomotive?) engine that I think ends up being a solid complementary player to fill out a mid-6 role for a nice 10-year career. Though I think we'd all prefer him at 16 to 9.

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Combine height and weight for those who tested. 

Frank Nazar was 5'10" 180lbs

Cutter Gauthier was 6'2.5" 200lbs

Marco Kasper was 6'0.75" 187lbs

Ryan Chelsey was 6'0.5" 201lbs

Liam Ohgren was 6'0.75" 201lbs

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Hey I'd fit right in... 6'1" 201...🥴

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.