2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres have a conviction about his talent and health, they should take him sooner with their second first round pick. As @Brawndo smartly points out there are teams with an already robust roster that are in a position to gamble on a talent. If it doesn't work out it wouldn't be much of a setback because they have an abundance of talent to absorb the gamble.  

I still think 16 is a bit too rich , considering the risk. Plus, there will be still a decent amount of good players on the board

I don’t mind the Sabres taking a swing at 16 but I’d rather them take Lambert or Yurov before Miroshnichenko.   

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I still think 16 is a bit too rich , considering the risk. Plus, there will be still a decent amount of good players on the board

I don’t mind the Sabres taking a swing at 16 but I’d rather them take Lambert or Yurov before Miroshnichenko.   

"He was still showing the effects of the treatment, but the treatment was 100 percent successful," Marr said. "He's been back and cleared to train full-load within his tolerance level. They expect that he's going to continue on. He's not scheduled to go back for any more treatments. He's just training for [the] start of next season."

I don't want to diminish the risk — it's cancer.

It also a form of cancer that generally has an 85-90 per cent full recovery rate, he's finished his treatment and he's been cleared to play and train again. you get the opinions of several doctors to see how he fits into that track. If its a 90 per cent chance he's going to be the same player he was before he got sick, then he makes as much sense at 16 as he does at 28, in my view.

If you've got other guys at or close to his level when your turn comes up, you pick the other guy.

But if there is a clear separation you pick Miro.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I wonder how Lambert interviewed? He is a top 5 talent but has dropped a lot. The interviews may have revealed something and a team may take him top 10.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

"He was still showing the effects of the treatment, but the treatment was 100 percent successful," Marr said. "He's been back and cleared to train full-load within his tolerance level. They expect that he's going to continue on. He's not scheduled to go back for any more treatments. He's just training for [the] start of next season."

I don't want to diminish the risk — it's cancer.

It also a form of cancer that generally has an 85-90 per cent full recovery rate, he's finished his treatment and he's been cleared to play and train again. you get the opinions of several doctors to see how he fits into that track. If its a 90 per cent chance he's going to be the same player he was before he got sick, then he makes as much sense at 16 as he does at 28, in my view.

If you've got other guys at or close to his level when your turn comes up, you pick the other guy.

But if there is a clear separation you pick Miro.

I'm stating the obvious but there are so many tough judgments that are made in the draft room. What appears to be a brilliant selection on draft day can turn out to be a wasted pick a few years down the road. And what appears to be an odd pick on draft day can turn out to be an inspiring pick a few years down the road. After reading a number of posts from our adroit draftniks here I would be supportive if the Sabres used their second first round pick on him. His selection would be a modest risk with a potential major upside.    

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I wonder how Lambert interviewed? He is a top 5 talent but has dropped a lot. The interviews may have revealed something and a team may take him top 10.

Would you rather draft Lambert or Miroshnichenko at 16 if both are available?

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm stating the obvious but there are so many tough judgments that are made in the draft room. What appears to be a brilliant selection on draft day can turn out to be a wasted pick a few years down the road. And what appears to be an odd pick on draft day can turn out to be an inspiring pick a few years down the road. After reading a number of posts from our adroit draftniks here I would be supportive if the Sabres used their second first round pick on him. His selection would be a modest risk with a potential major upside.    

I'd rather draft Ohgren at 16 and not have to worry about the risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As long as Miro can come to the U.S. I'll take the cancer survivor over a potential headcase.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Probably overall preferable 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For the sake of discussion if the scouting department viewed Miro as a top 5-8 caliber prospect when healthy would you take Ohgren at 16 instead of Miro? However you answer I won't say you are wrong. It's a judgment call where it will take a couple to few years before a definitive answer can be made. I would take this modest risk. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think I would pick Lambert, provided his interview didn’t reveal some fundamental problems. 
He has tons of talent and could be brought to N.America right away to develop. Part of the issue may be the teams and or roles he played in Liiga. Maybe he needs to get away from his father.

Let him dominate in the CHL for a year to get his confidence back, or if his skill level allows, play in Rochester.

The risk is he may be a Yakupov or Alex Nylander.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

For the sake of discussion if the scouting department viewed Miro as a top 5-8 caliber prospect when healthy would you take Ohgren at 16 instead of Miro? However you answer I won't say you are wrong. It's a judgment call where it will take a couple to few years before a definitive answer can be made. I would take this modest risk. 

No, I would take Miro. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

One weird thing about this draft is how hard (or easy) it is to say "that guy is great value for where he's projected" because the projections are all over the place.

If they get a guy like Geekie or Nazar or Ohgren or McGroarty or Lambert or Miroshnichenko or Howard or Kasper or Mintyukov or Kochinski or... at 16, they are getting a guy who some people think should be going in the 20s and others flirting with the top 10. Reactions are going to be mixed.

And if you picked an Ostlund or a Mesar or a Kulich or a Chesley or a Snuggerud there, most of us would be disappointed because they are less hyped. But those guys are possible because we know some people have them in that tier. And they probably only seem outrageous because they would leave someone from the first list on the table that someone on here really liked.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

It's entirely possible they will pick someone at 9 we would have loved at 16, someone at 16 we would have loved at 28 and someone at 28 we would have loved at 41.

Kasper/Nazar, Chesley/Ostlund and Rinzel/Lorenz, for example, would be a draft like that for me.

It's more likely we will be raving over some guy who 'fell' to us at one of the slots, disappointed with a "reach" at another and fine with the 3rd.

I need McKenzie's final list to give me a better picture of how guys are actually going to line up.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if we had our Gauthier discussion in this thread or the other one, but Wheeler has a piece today were he rates the prospects purely on upside — basically their tools alone.

Gauthier was 3rd, after Cooley and Slavkovsky.

Also of interest: Miroshnichenko was 5th and Lambert 25th.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not sure if we had our Gauthier discussion in this thread or the other one, but Wheeler has a piece today were he rates the prospects purely on upside — basically their tools alone.

Gauthier was 3rd, after Cooley and Slavkovsky.

Also of interest: Miroshnichenko was 5th and Lambert 25th.

It was Pronman and the main point for a bunch of the players he listed was they're big so if they fix their (skating, compete, iq, hands) they'll be good.

31. Ben King, C, Red Deer-WHL

"A name off the beaten trail to wrap up this piece is a player who scored 50 goals and 100 points in the WHL. King also has good size and plays the middle. When I watched him this season I liked the skill, the offensive sense and his ability to score from range. But he’s a third year eligible who doesn’t skate well and I don’t love his play away from the puck. Historically those types don’t translate to the pros so he didn’t even end up on my list, but I admit I liked him in instances and I could see him being a sleeper candidate."

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not taking Lambert, period. 

I'd agree on Ohgren over both of them as well. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

No McGroarty?

I would be quite happy if we picked him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not taking Lambert, period. 

I'd agree on Ohgren over both of them as well. 

I would be quite happy if we picked him.

Yeah, just too much of a Cooper or Grigorenko vibe.  (Even though the mono was a big part of Grigs sliding, it wasn't the entirety of it & both are cautionary tales regarding guys w/ a ton of skill but maybe not so much drive or other Qs.  And this kid was happy the Sabres landed Grigs.  Ooops.)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, just too much of a Cooper or Grigorenko vibe.  (Even though the mono was a big part of Grigs sliding, it wasn't the entirety of it & both are cautionary tales regarding guys w/ a ton of skill but maybe not so much drive or other Qs.  And this kid was happy the Sabres landed Grigs.  Ooops.)

That's the key for me. Going forward I only want guys with that work hard and keep trying to improve mentality. Cozens types. We're on that path now and I don't want to steer off it. No floaters. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think something the Sabres would be smart to do this draft is take a few overagers out of the CHL. These are guys that probably played shortened or no season last year and a shortened season in their draft year. The reason Buffalo should grab 2 of them is that they could be signed and sent to the AHL immediately on ELCs and 5-7th picks are a dice roll anyways.

Michael Milne, LW

Logan Morrison, C

These would be the 2 players I tend to gravitate towards in terms of overagers. Morrison not getting drafted in his draft confuses me to begin with but then he lost all of last year because of the OHL shutdown. He put up 21 more points than the next player on his OHL team and dropped a 100 point season. He turns 20 in July.

Milne is an engine with some skill. This is his DY+1 year due to a bday just over the Sept cutoff but that also means he will be 20 before the CHL cutoff and can go to the AHL. Tied for 2nd on his very talented WHL team and is a buzzsaw, constantly back and forechecking. Even if he never makes the NHL he will probably be a very solid AHL guy due to that alone.

If either guy is a late bloomer due to the missed covid year, you have struck gold and it's probably a better gamble than some other options we get in the 4-6th round. Just food for thought.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Morrison and his linemate Avery Hayes top the OHL in playoff PPG as well so you could actually pick up both guys, sign them to ELCs and send them to Rochester. Maybe they pop, maybe they don't but again, late round picks so gamble a little.

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Morrison and his linemate Avery Hayes top the OHL in playoff PPG as well so you could actually pick up both guys, sign them to ELCs and send them to Rochester. Maybe they pop, maybe they don't but again, late round picks so gamble a little.

I like the late round pick philosophy. Get some late round players in Rochester on 2 way deals. Worst case scenario you got decent talent in the minors. Best case scenario they prove to be good call up options or maybe one of them exceeds expectations and sticks with the Sabres

I really wish we were in the range for Cooley and Nemec.

The latter is the perfect fit to completing the best U23 top 4 in hockey.

The former is everything this team wants to be: fearless, fast, competitive, smart and relentless.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

At the very least, invite them to development camp to get a closer look.

Was just listening to Corey Pronman on The Athletics Hockey Show podcast and I caught an interesting note.  Pronman stated that he thinks the absolute earliest that either Savoie or Geekie might get drafted is #9 by Buffalo.  This is based on his talks with scouts around the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.