2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

Anyone have strong opinions on David Goyette?

A C playing in OHL put up 73pts in 66 games.  Elite skater who can stick handle well and make plays at top speed.  This makes him great in transition.  Decent but not great shot.  A little on the small side (5’ 10.25” 175lbs) and not the strongest, but is still willing to get involved physically.

This the type of guy that the Sabres could take a home run shot on at 28 or 41.

If he is able to get stronger and things come together he looks like he could definitely be a top-6 forward.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/06/05/david-goyette-scouting-report-2022-nhl-draft/

https://dobberprospects.com/player/david-goyette/

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I wish I could get more information about frank nazar not be liked by  Teammates and  Has attitude problems ..

Anyone have anything? 

You need to ask this guy.  Only thing that I’ve seen even remotely like this.  I’m dismissing it unless something more concrete is provided. 

@JKB1646

51D1392E-7140-4023-9C4C-3889A5642CB6.jpeg

Edited by Curt

49 minutes ago, Curt said:

A C playing in OHL put up 73pts in 66 games.  Elite skater who can stick handle well and make plays at top speed.  This makes him great in transition.  Decent but not great shot.  A little on the small side (5’ 10.25” 175lbs) and not the strongest, but is still willing to get involved physically.

If he is able to get stronger and things come together he looks like he could definitely be a top-6 forward.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/06/05/david-goyette-scouting-report-2022-nhl-draft/

Phil's grandson ??

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I wish I could get more information about frank nazar not be liked by  Teammates and  Has attitude problems ..

Anyone have anything? 

If that is true the Sabres will know after the combine if not before. Nightingale's brother works for the USDP and Granato has connections there as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I watched him a few times this year. He came on in the second half as the top player on a young and weak team. Most nights he was their only chance at generating offence.

I don’t know if I would take him at 28 but at 41 I would feel pretty secure with that selection.

If the Sabres picked 2 of Nazar, Ostlund and Beck then I think they should stay away from another smaller C and go for a Dman.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I watched him a few times this year. He came on in the second half as the top player on a young and weak team. Most nights he was their only chance at generating offence.

I don’t know if I would take him at 28 but at 41 I would feel pretty secure with that selection.

If the Sabres picked 2 of Nazar, Ostlund and Beck then I think they should stay away from another smaller C and go for a Dman.

I like Goyette at 28 or 41 too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I would appreciate it if the draftniks here would give their opinion on where Ivan Mirochnichenko would be ranked on the draft board if he didn't have a prior health issue? And what pro player does he resemble? Appreciate your thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would appreciate it if the draftniks here would give their opinion on where Ivan Mirochnichenko would be ranked on the draft board if he didn't have a prior health issue? And what pro player does he resemble? Appreciate your thoughts. 

Prior to this season, Miroshnichenko was definitely considered to be among the top 5 prospects for this draft.  Who knows how his season would have played out, but I have to assume that he would be a near unanimous top 10 prospect.

Total cop out answer, but he plays like Ovechkin.  Not as good obviously but same style.  Big violent, direct, power winger with speed and a great shot.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Curt said:

Prior to this season, Mirosnichenko was definitely considered to be among the top 5 prospects for this draft.  Who knows how his season would have played out, but I have to assume that he would be a near unanimous top 10 prospect.

Total cop out answer, but he plays like Ovechkin.  Not as good obviously but same style.  Big violent, direct, power winger with speed and a great shot.

Thanks for the summary. After reading it I thought that this is the type of player that would have been worthy of our first pick because of his size and rugged style of play. A player with his profile would be a great addition to the system. Based on how you describe him I wouldn't be against using our second first round pick on him. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for the summary. After reading it I thought that this is the type of player that would have been worthy of our first pick because of his size and rugged style of play. A player with his profile would be a great addition to the system. Based on how you describe him I wouldn't be against using our second first round pick on him. 

Yeah, it’s a tough call.  16 feels like it might be a little high, but I doubt he is still available at 28.  I wouldn’t be mad taking him at 16.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, it’s a tough call.  16 feels like it might be a little high, but I doubt he is still available at 28.  I wouldn’t be mad taking him at 16.

I'm in accord with your judgment. The Sabres have an abundance of draft capital. We are in a position to take a modest gamble. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This alone is never a good reason to draft a player. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This alone is never a good reason to draft a player. 

I agree with you that using size as a primary influence in drafting a player would be a mistake. But in this case considering how he plays and where he would have been ranked if not for his medical history his size and style of play is certainly a plus factor for the Sabres when considering him. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

Of course not, they should be good at hockey too, but big and rugged is better than small and soft, all else being equal.

Sure but this board loves to equate size with grit. 

Miroshnichenko is a risky pick. Great shot but how will having cancer impact him going forward. He's 6'1" btw so he's not even overly big. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure but this board loves to equate size with grit. 

Miroshnichenko is a risky pick. Great shot but how will having cancer impact him going forward. He's 6'1" btw so he's not even overly big. 

Perhaps “this board” does love to do that.  Were JohnC and I doing it just now though?

Miroshnichenko not huge, but has good size and is strong on the ice.  He plays a very rugged, physical game.  I don’t think we were doing any sort of false equivalency.

I have to be honest, it kind of feels like you jumped into the discussion to complain about something that we weren’t even doing.

Yes, he is a risky pick.  That’s the discussion that we were having.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Perhaps “this board” does love to do that.  Were JohnC and I doing it just now though?

Miroshnichenko not huge, but has good size and is strong on the ice.  He plays a very rugged, physical game.  I don’t think we were doing any sort of false equivalency.

I have to be honest, it kind of feels like you jumped into the discussion to complain about something that we weren’t even doing.

Yes, he is a risky pick.  That’s the discussion that we were having.

I was taken a little aback by LGR's post that stated the obvious. But that's all right. We all have our little quirks (including me) that sometimes intrude on the substance of the discussion. Sometimes the best way to handle such situation is to let it pass by into the ether. 

Getting back to Miroshnichenko, come draft day it is going to be interesting to see which team will be willing to take a gamble on a player who was considered a top tier prospect until he had to deal with a serious medical problem. Because the Sabres have three first round picks we are in a better position to take a gamble on him than many other teams. Getting a player who plays a physical game will be a good add for a team that is more oriented toward speed and finesse. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was taken a little aback by LGR's post that stated the obvious. But that's all right. We all have our little quirks (including me) that sometimes intrude on the substance of the discussion. Sometimes the best way to handle such situation is to let it pass by into the ether. 

Getting back to Miroshnichenko, come draft day it is going to be interesting to see which team will be willing to take a gamble on a player who was considered a top tier prospect until he had to deal with a serious medical problem. Because the Sabres have three first round picks we are in a better position to take a gamble on him than many other teams. Getting a player who plays a physical game will be a good add for a team that is more oriented toward speed and finesse. 

This is why I think he could be around at 28. Huge risk (Russia and Cancer), especially for a team using their only 1st rounder on him 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

This is why I think he could be around at 28. Huge risk (Russia and Cancer), especially for a team using their only 1st rounder on him 

If the Sabres have a conviction about his talent and health, they should take him sooner with their second first round pick. As @Brawndo smartly points out there are teams with an already robust roster that are in a position to gamble on a talent. If it doesn't work out it wouldn't be much of a setback because they have an abundance of talent to absorb the gamble.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres have a conviction about his talent and health, they should take him sooner with their second first round pick. As @Brawndo smartly points out there are teams with an already robust roster that are in a position to gamble on a talent. If it doesn't work out it wouldn't be much of a setback because they have an abundance of talent to absorb the gamble.  

^ this.

There are too many perennial playoff teams (or teams who consider themselves perennial playoff teams, one of whom we'll soon be replacing in said playoffs) between 16 and 27 that would be happy to take a flier on a player with his potential. He was a top-5 pick before his diagnosis. Playoff teams give away a late 1st for a playoff rental, they'll be more than happy to nab someone who might join an ELC in a couple seasons and be inserted into their top 6 as their current playoff-caliber players price themselves out of the core.  WAS, PIT, STL, MIN, TOR... I doubt he makes it through that gauntlet if the medical records look hopeful.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.