Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We'd be paying the price of a downgraded pick to convert Eichel into Zegras, Comtois and Rakell. It's a neat package but Eichel's health outlook would have to be really quite dire to make that worth it, imo

That's what the opposition GM has to be willing to stake his job on, though. Eichel pre-injury or Eichel post-injury. If we deal him before this year's draft then that new GM has one year to find out whether Eichel is still his Hart-caliber self, or if he's what we saw this past season, which while still producing PP points, had no burst. Or if his body is going to continue to be injury-prone and deteriorate, but healthy enough to pass physicals and keep playing. If you give up a bunch of stuff for Eichel and he's just 2021 Eichel when he's fully recovered... you're out of a job and he's on your team's payroll forever.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

only the Sabres could trade their best player at his lowest value.  

I sometimes think about how different the entire conversation would be if Jack had a mere 21 games less on his resume

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I sometimes think about how different the entire conversation would be if Jack had a mere 21 games less on his resume

Or, if when he'd gotten his rib injury (or whatever UBI it was?) in training camp this season we'd have sat him out until he'd fully (or near-fully) recovered so he wouldn't have been playing every other day through the injury, thereby opening himself up to straining other parts of his body while compensating, or the rigors of being the target of opposition defensemen because he was our only offense with HCRK's structure. Let him recover for 3 weeks at the start of the season, like we did when he injured his ankle in training camp a few years previously. It wasn't the playoffs where you need to play through injuries. But then Hall would've had to truly be a top-line player he's uncomfortable being. But... maybe Eichel comes back out of our COVID break looking like Hart-Eichel and HCRK doesn't get fired. All fun what-ifs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

That might be Adams’ thinking which scares me a bit because I’m not sure he knows what’s best for the team in the long haul.

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

sure but on the other side the Sabres traded ROR who won the Conn Smythe for a bag of peanuts 

So are you blaming Hoss' scary monster gm that's under his bed or can we also blame Adams for trading Rene Robert back in the day also?? Just because a former GM did something has no bearing what the new guy will do. LA won't be their only possible trading partner for Jack E and it's also just as big a possibility that it is Reinhart and/or Risto that goes there. I don't send any of them unless to a Eastern Conference team also by the way, I don't want to see any of them more than twice a year.

22 minutes ago, jsb said:

Honest question, who received the better player in the Islander-Leafs trade with Tavares?? Yes I know it wasn't a trade but who would have figured the Islanders would be in the semi's this year and the Leafs haven't gotten out of the 1st round yet. The problem is does whatever haul the Sabres get make them a better team in the long run and if so why would anyone care if it meets who's ever criteria for what makes a good trade?

Isles strength is their structure.  It replaces the need to rely on one or two superstars to carry the ball.  They play as a team.  That is why I like the idea of Lane Lambert. It would help a team with no stars compete and get better as they rebuild.  The key is structure that works to win games, not the garbage Krueger was doing.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

@DarthEbriate I was a big proponent of this coming season being the last "go for it" one with Jack, and it turns out it was this current one. And it was so ill-fated it doesn't even seem a reasonable go of it. The injuries, the covid situation, the division, that's not to excuse them from their ineptitude but it would be a shame to never see what a real "go for it" roster could have looked like, which would have happened not with the Hall Staal adds, but with the development from the younger guys we saw combined with the returning JE

5 minutes ago, jsb said:

So are you blaming Hoss' scary monster gm that's under his bed or can we also blame Adams for trading Rene Robert back in the day also?? Just because a former GM did something has no bearing what the new guy will do. LA won't be their only possible trading partner for Jack E and it's also just as big a possibility that it is Reinhart and/or Risto that goes there. I don't send any of them unless to a Eastern Conference team also by the way, I don't want to see any of them more than twice a year.

This assumes an uncomfortable amount about the influence a certain above-gm may have on these moves, who's still very here, and very present for both

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Of course they don't. So embarrassing 

lol really? Boo him because Kevyn Ayydamns wanted to ditch him?

It was not a great situation here but Eichel has been a little Bit** for quite some time. This has been going on with players and coaches with him dating back years. I could not care less if you believe me or not, and I won't repeat it either. There is barely anyone left in that organization from the top down that wants him around the kids. I am sure he will fix his attitude (and other issues) at his next landing spot, but he is nothing but toxic in this organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jack Eichel and the 1 OA pick should never be moved in the same trade. That is beyond idiotic. 

Karmanos being the grownup in the room gives me more calm.  Terry just isn’t going to tell KA to make a terrible deal. Karmanos voice as a bet front office person will hold weight.  

If not, we are all DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEDDDD!!!!!!!!😂

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We'd be paying the price of a downgraded pick to convert Eichel into Zegras, Comtois and Rakell. It's a neat package but Eichel's health outlook would have to be really quite dire to make that worth it, imo

I'm so confused by you guys sometimes. Zegras Comtois Rakell for Eichel and dropping 2 spots seems way better than plenty of stuff I've seen you/Hoss propose/be OK with doesn't it? I'd have to go home to really sift through stuff to be sure.

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Eichel>>>Zegras

Beniers/Power>>>3OA

The Sabres are giving up the two best pieces.

Add Drysdale and the Sabres add Samuelson/Bryson/Johnson and it gets interesting 

I mean, I hope so. Half the time you guys are making me think we can't even get Zegras alone for eichel. I'm seeing it as, adding comtois to drop to 3 and get a player who will be even better than power anyway, and then trading jack for rakell and Zegras. Rakell will be good again for us

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Jack Eichel and the 1 OA pick should never be moved in the same trade. That is beyond idiotic. 

Karmanos being the grownup in the room gives me more calm.  Terry just isn’t going to tell KA to make a terrible deal. Karmanos voice as a bet front office person will hold weight.  

If not, we are all DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEDDDD!!!!!!!!😂

I'm not moving it, I'm downgrading it 2 slots in a draft where Power barely separates from the pack 

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm so confused by you guys sometimes. Zegras Comtois Rakell for Eichel and dropping 2 spots seems way better than plenty of stuff I've seen you/Hoss propose/be OK with doesn't it? I'd have to go home to really sift through stuff to be sure.

Rakell seems a significant step down from Tkachuk - if we are going to deal him (and we shouldn't be) I want the best player back possible. (The Tkachuk deal was the one I highlighted in that list that was provided) There haven't really been any deals I've meant to imply I've really liked, you can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I tend to talk about the deals being "good" only in comparison to the others. Rakell is a pretty low quality "now" player, for me 

Even the Calgary deal would only actually seem "good" to me if we got Lindholm too 

I'm probably as against moving him overall as anyone here - I'm just trying to compare the deals against eachother. Not v. interested in futures 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

No, not even a little bit. You’re giving up the two best assets in the trade.

Do you think very highly of Rakell? That may be why you’re feeling the value in your deal is right but I’d implore you to look at his age and production.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's Zegras, Comtois and Rakell for Eichel and a small sweetener — that's all 1 for 3 is.

It's definitely a ballpark offer and probably more than Duck fans will want to give. I don't people think people realize Comtois' value?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Rakell seems a significant step down from Tkachuk - if we are going to deal him (and we shouldn't be) I want the best player back possible. (The Tkachuk deal was the one I highlighted in that list that was provided) There haven't really been any deals I've meant to imply I've really liked, you can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I tend to talk about the deals being "good" only in comparison to the others. Rakell is a pretty low quality "now" player, for me 

Even the Calgary deal would only actually seem "good" to me if we got Lindholm too 

Rakell is the #3 piece in the proposal.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

He’s the fourth piece coming back from Anaheim and the worst piece in the deal. He is also UFA in a year and there’s no extension I’m willing to give him until I see his production rebound.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's Zegras, Comtois and Rakell for Eichel and a small sweetener — that's all 1 for 3 is.

It's definitely a ballpark offer and probably more than Duck fans will want to give. I don't people think people realize Comtois' value?

It's two really good prospects and Kahun

Pass

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Then it is a bad proposal. 

Ya like he's got 1 year left on his deal, and he's "at that age", 28, he'll be 29 when we are supposed to re-sign him? Disaster waiting to happen. If that's the BEST current asset we are getting for a guy 21 games removed from an 8th overall MVP finish in the NHL, I pass

• Like (+1) 1