Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Rasmus_ said:

Trading him for less than he's worth is not smart.  I'm fine with them holding him until the right deal comes up.  

Agree. I blame all parties involved for this mess. This has to be resolved and we're probably not going to like it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Like this, it's bonkers analysis. He's speaking of this coming season. They provided 26 points combined last season. Eichel will give you so much more than that healthy. You can't add one other player? Going from 2 guys (one who barely played) to 1 does not destroy your depth. 

If they think there's a good chance Eichel doesn't play at all, they wouldn't even be in discussions. 

Trust me, I had to read that 3 times to figure out what the hell he's talking about.  Of course a team is going to be in a tough spot if a top 6 center is injured, the point of grabbing a top 10 C is you can compete despite injuries, and you're not ... no I can't go down this moronic calamity bus stop rabbit hole... Crisis, er, calamity avoided, thankfully.  

Ill end on this, quoting the great Brian Madison, father of Billy Madison, "[Brooksie], are you some kind of damn'd moron?"

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Shmuffalo said:

Per "Bus Stop" Brooksie:

Imagine the calamity. I mean, hijinks and shenanigans are one thing, but my lord, the calamity.  If only they had depth, and solid prospects ... wait.

My Brooksie story: After Pajama Boy Night he wrote a ***** hit piece on the Islanders fans that managed to get ever detail wrong. A friend of mine who was a longtime usher at the Coliseum wrote him a letter politely explaining the situation and all the things he got wrong in the article. Brooks replied thanking him for the insight and then essentially repeated all the bullcrap in the first article the next day.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Completely disagree.  The same thing could've been said about Aaron Rodgers heading into this week and that's been dealt with.  Eichel is the star player - fix the issues instead of locking yourselves into trading him potentially for pennies on the dollar.

You don't know how thats going to work out.

Theres a big difference too, Rodgers wanted out but the Packers weren't looking to move him and want to keep him, they are also a winning franchise that is a championship contender every year.

They didn't start dealing away there other talented players to start another rebuild, they have added to help improve things around him even more.

Eichel wants out and the Sabres have been trying to move him, they just dealt away 2 of their other top players and are only looking to be worse next year whether Eichel is here or not, they are a last place team thats not showing any signs of improving around him and aren't showing signs they intend to get him more help to improve this year.

They have already locked themselves in a position of having to trade him or have a frustrated player who wants out hanging around the locker room with the guys that the GM has already named as their 'Core' going forward (that didn't include him)

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Theres a big difference too, Rodgers wanted out but the Packers weren't looking to move him and want to keep him, they are also a winning franchise that is a championship contender every year.

They didn't start dealing away there other talented players to start another rebuild, they have added to help improve things around him even more.

Eichel wants out and the Sabres have been trying to move him, they just dealt away 2 of their other top players and are only looking to be worse next year whether Eichel is here or not, they are a last place team thats not showing any signs of improving around him and aren't showing signs they intend to get him more help to improve this year.

They have already locked themselves in a position of having to trade him or have a frustrated player who wants out hanging around the locker room with the guys that the GM has already named as their 'Core' going forward (that didn't include him)

Great post. 

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

My Brooksie story: After Pajama Boy Night he wrote a ***** hit piece on the Islanders fans that managed to get ever detail wrong. A friend of mine who was a longtime usher at the Coliseum wrote him a letter politely explaining the situation and all the things he got wrong in the article. Brooks replied thanking him for the insight and then essentially repeated all the bullcrap in the first article the next day.

Don't mean to laugh, but it's comical he's still with the Post.  I dont know the first he has on whoever is in charge, but it must be something' of calamity sized proportion. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

If the reports are correct, Vegas has now added 2 expensive guys in Daddy-O and Danault.  I think it is pretty close to certain that they are out of the Eichel auction.

Narrator: the reports were not correct.

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

100% disagree with this.  Players are frustrated all of the time.  Eichel has never done anything to suggest he's going to blow up the locker room if he doesn't get what he wants.  Nothing is "locked in" right now, the situation may still be very much salvageable with the right kind of outreach and diplomacy.  Trading Eichel for peanuts because they're "locked in" and he's frustrated would gut the core asset of the franchise and would simply repeat the ROR debacle (to a more impactful degree).  Teams (and governments) are rarely as "locked in" as they believe, and it's that kind of decision-making that very often leads to horrible outcomes.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Narrator: the reports were not correct.

But they have indeed added Daddy-O (not sure where that nickname came from but I’m riding with it) along with Martinez, a backup goalie and a couple other smaller contracts.

Edited by Hoss

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

You make a good point that both the front office and the player have an understanding as to what direction the franchise is taking. And both sides of the table recognize that parting ways is the right thing to do for each of their interests. And as you noted the organization was open to moving him last year. So the player shouldn't surprised by the openness in the bidding process. 

No one should be critical of Jack, Samsnon and Risto preferring to move on and have a chance at starting fresh with teams that are more competitive. And no one should be critical about the organization of wanting to reshuffle the roster that has been stagnating for years. Now it is all about the return. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cascade Youth said:

100% disagree with this.  Players are frustrated all of the time.  Eichel has never done anything to suggest he's going to blow up the locker room if he doesn't get what he wants.  Nothing is "locked in" right now, the situation may still be very much salvageable with the right kind of outreach and diplomacy.  Trading Eichel for peanuts because they're "locked in" and he's frustrated would gut the core asset of the franchise and would simply repeat the ROR debacle (to a more impactful degree).  Teams (and governments) are rarely as "locked in" as they believe, and it's that kind of decision-making that very often leads to horrible outcomes.

when has it happened in the past that a player has wanted out, the team actively try to move them and then just decide that since they didn't like the return, they would just keep them and things worked out with the player staying?

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

But they have indeed added Daddy-O (not sure where that nickname came from but I’m riding with it) along with Martinez, a backup goalie and a couple other smaller contracts.

Didn't add Denault. Which we knew yesterday but Freeman insisted on putting it out 2 more times only for Denault to go elsewhere. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Didn't add Denault. Which we knew yesterday but Freeman insisted on putting it out 2 more times only for Denault to go elsewhere. 

Right I wasn’t disputing that they didn’t get Denault, I was just noting it was half accurate and they’ve added other pieces that likely take them out of the conversation.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Right I wasn’t disputing that they didn’t get Denault, I was just noting it was half accurate and they’ve added other pieces that likely take them out of the conversation.

Yes they are now likely out unless they are sending us 2 contracts back

8 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I’d argue his entire end of the season press conference suggested exactly that.

19 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

when has it happened in the past that a player has wanted out, the team actively try to move them and then just decide that since they didn't like the return, they would just keep them and things worked out with the player staying?

AJ Green?  Honestly I don’t care whether it’s happened before or not (though it almost certainly has).  He just signed a $100 million contract.  As quickly as his mood soured toward Buffalo, there’s no reason it couldn’t change quickly again.  I refuse to believe that Eichel is going to poison the young core if the Sabres can’t get sufficient value for him.  He’s been a competitor his whole life, he’ll compete.

2 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

AJ Green?  Honestly I don’t care whether it’s happened before or not (though it almost certainly has).  He just signed a $100 million contract.  As quickly as his mood soured toward Buffalo, there’s no reason it couldn’t change quickly again.  I refuse to believe that Eichel is going to poison the young core if the Sabres can’t get sufficient value for him.  He’s been a competitor his whole life, he’ll compete.

I would agree with you if this was a few months ago.  Both sides screwed this up.  Now, I can't see this being resolved. Our owner (don't know where the hell they are hopefully arranging the sale of the team) has shown in all this just how pathetic their ownership is. They are THE PROBLEM, not part of it.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I would agree with you if this was a few months ago.  Both sides screwed this up.  Now, I can't see this being resolved. Our owner (don't know where the hell they are hopefully arranging the sale of the team) has shown in all this just how pathetic their ownership is. They are THE PROBLEM, not part of it.

Agree with you there - but squandering their most valuable asset won’t help the situation it will only worsen it.  They CANNOT give Eichel away for nothing, especially in reaction to his expressed desire to leave.  They’ll get doormatted even more by the rest of the league if they allow things to unfold that way.

1 minute ago, Cascade Youth said:

Agree with you there - but squandering their most valuable asset won’t help the situation it will only worsen it.  They CANNOT give Eichel away for nothing, especially in reaction to his expressed desire to leave.  They’ll get doormatted even more by the rest of the league if they allow things to unfold that way.

How much worse can it really get?

I would argue that its one of the reasons no one is making serious offers for Eichel because they already see the organization and front office as door mats

• Like (+1) 1