Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Two random notes that you may or may not find valuable:

I was looking at Peter Fish’s history in discussing Eichel publicly. This one stuck out to me from LAST YEAR (TO BE CLEAR WHAT I’M POSTING BELOW IS OLD NOT NEW).

Was the “That’s all he controls” part of this comment from Fish an indication the team had already considered trading him last offseason and maybe even tried to do so?

Side note: Peter Fish has been an agent for a while. He represented Chris Drury.

I would say that “That’s all he controls” line is definitely a reference to the uncertainty about when players would be reporting and when a season would start, due to Covid.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Because it could be a good way to squeeze more out of the Eichel trade, potentially more value than VO is worth (which I'm not saying is none)

Idk. Eichel himself is enough of an asset. I don’t think other teams need a “sweetener.” 

This thread has gone nuts.  

I’ll repeat my mantra.  Injured Jack is a broken Jack.  Broken Jack is not going to fetch 4 nice pieces like we are dreaming off.  Not gonna happen or it would have happen before the 2021 draft  

The 2022 draft will be better, making it harder to even get an unprotected #1.  

KA’s is being tested.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is the last day before UFA starts at 11am EST Wednesday, 7/28/2021. I would expect to hear a lot of Eichel news today as teams want to make sure they have their pieces (roster/cap) in place before they go out and address the holes with UFAs

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

This thread has gone nuts.  

I’ll repeat my mantra.  Injured Jack is a broken Jack.  Broken Jack is not going to fetch 4 nice pieces like we are dreaming off.  Not gonna happen or it would have happen before the 2021 draft  

The 2022 draft will be better, making it harder to even get an unprotected #1.  

KA’s is being tested.  

Getting 4 pieces for an injured Jack might be unrealistic. But getting 3 pieces should be doable. If you examine Minnesota's roster and within their system that includes some attractive prospects (Rossi most appealing) a fair value Jack deal can be envisioned. And if you examine the Anaheim and LA systems there is enough young talent within them that something can be worked out that is fair to both sides of the negotiation. I just think that a priority has to be a high end prospect who is projected to be a near future 1C or 2C. 

If you asked me to bet money on which team will come to the forefront and make a deal my guess would be Minnesota. But that is not to exclude other teams who have the assets to get a deal done. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Getting 4 pieces for a broken Eichel may not seem as far fetched as we think it is; look no further than the current real estate market, or lumber prices etc. Supply and demand makes people panic and overspend. Jack is THE biggest trade piece in this years off season, no name bigger in FA either. Whoever gets Jack will surly get the best player back out of whatever trade landed him. 

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This is the last day before UFA starts at 11am EST Wednesday, 7/28/2021. I would expect to hear a lot of Eichel news today as teams want to make sure they have their pieces (roster/cap) in place before they go out and address the holes with UFAs

Yeah, I think today through tomorrow morning has a likelihood of an Eichel trade. 

34 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think Adams will be focused on hammering out a deal today. Minnesota seems inevitable.

It will include Boldy or Rossi and a 1st next year. Today will be spent finalizing the other assets involved and how to make the cap work.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, dudacek said:

I think Adams will be focused on hammering out a deal today. Minnesota seems inevitable.

It will include Boldy or Rossi and a 1st next year. Today will be spent finalizing the other assets involved and how to make the cap work.

I'd be thrilled with that

Just now, dudacek said:

Same. I think if it's going to happen it gets done by mid-afternoon. Teams are going to want to switch their focus to the opening of FA tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

Two random notes that you may or may not find valuable:

I was looking at Peter Fish’s history in discussing Eichel publicly. This one stuck out to me from LAST YEAR (TO BE CLEAR WHAT I’M POSTING BELOW IS OLD NOT NEW).

Was the “That’s all he controls” part of this comment from Fish an indication the team had already considered trading him last offseason and maybe even tried to do so?

Side note: Peter Fish has been an agent for a while. He represented Chris Drury.

Definitely think Adams has been shopping him more less since he became GM. 

24 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Getting 4 pieces for a broken Eichel may not seem as far fetched as we think it is; look no further than the current real estate market, or lumber prices etc. Supply and demand makes people panic and overspend. Jack is THE biggest trade piece in this years off season, no name bigger in FA either. Whoever gets Jack will surly get the best player back out of whatever trade landed him. 

I think they should get 4, as well. There's uncertainty surrounding the Jack Eichel asset - so what. Every single asset we are getting back, by design, is an uncertain asset. Picks, prospects - there's zero certainty there. Sure, Jack has a big contract, but isn't the trade off for that the cap dump assets we should be taking back to facilitate this trade? Jack can go on LTIR for his new team if he never recovers. Still think KA should hold firm on 4, and especially the top level C prospect coming back. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Same. I think if it's going to happen it gets done by mid-afternoon. Teams are going to want to switch their focus to the opening of FA tomorrow.

That said, if it doesn't happen, it's because Adams has no problem with doing his FA work with Eichel still on the books.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I would be ridiculously disappointed in Boldy and a First plus pieces. You don't mold your new young roster with a dearth of centre prospects. Counting way too much on Cozens and Casey to fill roles they'd literally at this point *have* to fill. Nevermind if either ever becomes 1C quality. 

It would put it beyond a shadow of a doubt for me that not only were they targeting Wright, and failing that, Bedard, that they'd have to succeed in picking at the top of the draft. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'd be thrilled with that

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I would be ridiculously disappointed in Boldy and a First plus pieces. You don't mold your new young roster with a dearth of centre prospects. Counting way too much on Cozens and Casey to fill roles they'd literally at this point *have* to fill. Nevermind if either ever becomes 1C quality. 

It would put it beyond a shadow and a doubt for me that not only were they targeting Wright, and failing that, Bedard, that they'd have to succeed in picking at the top of the draft. 

I read dudacek as 'Boldy and Rossi and a 1st', not Bold or Rossi. 

Agreed though, Rossi needs to be the principle piece coming back. Rossi, Zegras, or Byfield. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Agreed though, Rossi needs to be the principle piece coming back. Rossi, Zegras, or Byfield. 

Boldy + Rossi (+) I consider a win. (MIN may not like it, but whatever)

Rossi alone (+) I'd be itchy about, but could be convinced its a good grab.

Boldy alone  (+) I consider a big failure.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, WildCard said:

What I’m saying is one of the two big prospects and next year’s first will be coming back, that’s a given.

Can it be both? If not, which of the two? What other prospects and picks are included to sweeten the pot for the Sabres? How are the Wild’s cap needs being accommodated? That’s what will be negotiated today.

Something like Rossi Boldy Khusnutdinov and a 1st would be the Sabres home run. Boldy, the 1st, a depth prospect and Rask would be the Wild’s. Where do they meet?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yep. 

We didn't have to specifically pick up a top-level C asset in either of: The Eichel deal, the Reinhart deal, the Ristolainen deal, our at the top of the draft with either of our 1st round picks: but we definitely had to add at least 1 within the combination of all of that. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

What I’m saying is one of the two big prospects and next year’s first will be coming back, that’s a given.

Can it be both? If not, which of the two? What other prospects and picks are included to sweeten the pot for the Sabres? How are the Wild’s cap needs being accommodated? That’s what will be negotiated today.

Something like Rossi Boldy Khusnutdinov and a 1st would be the Sabres home run. Boldy, the 1st, a depth prospect and Rask would be the Wild’s. Where do they meet?

Just switch Rossi to the second package and call it a day, then. 

I’m not convinced Rossi is a better prospect than Boldy.

Being a centre makes Rossi more attractive, but Boldy is very good.

If we get both Im happy, no matter the other pieces. I don’t think we will.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

The only people who think that this guy is a once-in-a-lifetime talent are the people that live in this city. Look at all of these other general managers who won't even give up a potential line one Center for this Punk.

4 pieces? Good luck..get a 2nd line center with great leadership, a 1st rounder in 22, and a nice 3rd line role player. 

Are you suggesting that we should be happy to get equal or even lesser value than we got from the ROR trade?

Edited by kas23

5 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Boldy + Rossi (+) I consider a win. (MIN may not like it, but whatever)

Rossi alone (+) I'd be itchy about, but could be convinced its a good grab.

Boldy alone  (+) I consider a big failure.

Rossi alone (+) is not enough for me. Throw in Boldy and I’ll feel a bit better

Zegras alone (+) is but it seems like the Anaheim rumors have cooled a bit.

I’m not knocking Rossi but Zegras is just more of a proven player (obviously) at this point. I would like a serviceable 1a or 1b coming back in whatever trade we do make. 

Give us Rossi and Kaapo (+), keep Boldy.

Jack plus a back injury that will need surgery and significant recovery time is not going to yield four significant assets.  Added to the uncertainty around the neck surgery are a long term contract at a high salary and questions (whether deserved or not) around his character and leadership abilities.

I agree that if there had been a real market, Jack would have been traded before the draft.  Jack's agents did us no favors yesterday.  At this point, I probably would be satisfied with a top prospect and a first round pick that is not protected in next year's draft.  I was surprised with the return for Sam, even with the need for him to be extended.  I expected a lot more, so I am prepared to be very disappointed with the return for Jack.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Rossi alone (+) is not enough for me. Throw in Boldy and I’ll feel a bit better

Zegras alone (+) is but it seems like the Anaheim rumors have cooled a bit.

I’m not knocking Rossi but Zegras is just more of a proven player (obviously) at this point. I would like a serviceable 1a or 1b coming back in whatever trade we do make. 

Give us Rossi and Kaapo (+), keep Boldy.

It doesn't make sense for just rossi. They passed over him. 

The sabres need at least 1 nhl active player with a few years experience. 

They should not keep trading top line players for a possibility of nothing. I mean look what they got so far for risto and sam.  0 players guaranteed to be in the nhl. Not counting the defense guy from philly, i suspect he wont last

Edited by Mike Honcho