Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

Who is going to trade for an injured player with an unknown outcome?  

GMs on the hot seat who may not be around when/if these guys mature and start winning. And if Jack ends up being damaged goods, they probably would’ve been fired anyhow (due the previous reason). If Jack pans out, he saves his job. So, do nothing and get fired or do something and possibly get fired. 

This deal isn’t happening until the Sabres lower their asking price from 4 pieces to 3 or less. That should be obvious by now. If someone was willing to give those 4 big pieces it would have been done before or on draft night. Teams are waiting out KA. So KA can either dig in and wait and hope or he can accept less. Ultimate game of chicken now. My guess is the Sabres will ultimately take less than they had hoped for. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh I think the Sabres will come down from their ask, they’re just waiting for someone to move up from their offer first.

Certainly. I don’t think it’s a good idea to enter a negotiation with your acceptable package immediately on the table because then you don’t have any room to negotiate. You need to shoot higher than that and hold out and see if someone is willing to pay more than you actually intend to receive then if that doesn’t happen you hope someone is offering what you actually want.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Billznut said:

This deal isn’t happening until the Sabres lower their asking price from 4 pieces to 3 or less. That should be obvious by now. If someone was willing to give those 4 big pieces it would have been done before or on draft night. Teams are waiting out KA. So KA can either dig in and wait and hope or he can accept less. Ultimate game of chicken now. My guess is the Sabres will ultimately take less than they had hoped for. 

KA needs to hold on to his ask for the 4 pieces.

A top prospect, a decent prospect, a prospect that the other team has soured on, and a 1st. There’s probably only a 36% chance any of those 4 pieces become an Eichel, so it’s not an unreasonable ask. It’s more likely we end up with a Reinhart, 2 Grigorenkos, and a Mike Funk.

Edited by Andrew Amerk

3 hours ago, SDS said:

You should probably look at the title of this topic. 

The rumor part has some value. The speculation is just unbearable. I wouldn't mind seeing a new, tighter thread with more valuable info. This one's just gone on too long.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The rumor part has some value. The speculation is just unbearable. I wouldn't mind seeing a new, tighter thread with more valuable info. This one's just gone on too long.

The “valuable info” comes out in maybe one or two lines every three days or so. This thread does a good job diving deep into what those little nuggets of information may or may not mean. And some other whacky stuff as message boards always have. I want more valuable info too but sadly it’s not coming often. Maybe that’s a good thing.

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

So KA can either dig in and wait and hope or he can accept less. Ultimate game of chicken now. My guess is the Sabres will ultimately take less than they had hoped for.

I don't think KA is actually "hoping" for 4 major pieces.  I think 3 will suffice, but the next stage will be to say, okay, only three, but one of them has to be really good (like a Zegras).

• Like (+1) 1

Two random notes that you may or may not find valuable:

I was looking at Peter Fish’s history in discussing Eichel publicly. This one stuck out to me from LAST YEAR (TO BE CLEAR WHAT I’M POSTING BELOW IS OLD NOT NEW).

Was the “That’s all he controls” part of this comment from Fish an indication the team had already considered trading him last offseason and maybe even tried to do so?

Side note: Peter Fish has been an agent for a while. He represented Chris Drury.

• Like (+1) 1

That excellent Minnesota article gave some good insight into the team's big picture issues.

Basically, it needs to augment its roster with cheap roster-bottom forwards and it only has three NHL defencemen.

It also has issues with how a Jack trade empties its pool of futures.

Zemgus, Bjork, Thompson, Asplund, Bryson and Hagg are all pieces that might have some value to them, particularly if they are in conjunction with some cap relief.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Two random notes that you may or may not find valuable:

I was looking at Peter Fish’s history in discussing Eichel publicly. This one stuck out to me from LAST YEAR (TO BE CLEAR WHAT I’M POSTING BELOW IS OLD NOT NEW).

Was the “That’s all he controls” part of this comment from Fish an indication the team had already considered trading him last offseason and maybe even tried to do so?

Side note: Peter Fish has been an agent for a while. He represented Chris Drury.

I remember that tweet.  But it's pre-injury (or at least pre-diagnosis).  A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

That said, despite all the recriminations, if Jack has no surgery and the herniated disc heals, and the Sabres are playing better hockey when he rejoins the club, it could reset him back to that earlier stage..... if the relationship isn't too broken.  I know a lot of people around here think it is too broken, but only a select few in the Sabres org and Jack's camp really know for sure.

Edited by Doohickie

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That excellent Minnesota article gave some good insight into the team's big picture issues.

Basically, it needs to augment its roster with cheap roster-bottom forwards and it only has three NHL defencemen.

It also has issues with how a Jack trade empties its pool of futures.

Zemgus, Bjork, Thompson, Asplund, Bryson and Hagg are all pieces that might have some value to them, particularly if they are in conjunction with some cap relief.

This is a good point and I wonder if there’s a chance even as many as two or three low-cap roster players are sent FROM Buffalo to the acquiring team for Jack. I wouldn’t mind if guys like Hagg, Bryson, Zemgus and Bjork are involved because I don’t believe any of them hold a lot of value and if they could move the needle on a great return I’m in.

11 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Jack is a once in a lifetime talent. Don't trade!

Welcome! This opinion has been shared a number of times on this board. Any further insight on whether you think the team can overcome the public trade demand from Jack/his agents?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Jack is a once in a lifetime talent. Don't trade!

Hypothetically speaking… And if Jack absolutely loathes staying in Buffalo? Absolutely positively doesn’t want to play for the Sabres any longer … Then what? 

The only people who think that this guy is a once-in-a-lifetime talent are the people that live in this city. Look at all of these other general managers who won't even give up a potential line one Center for this Punk.

4 pieces? Good luck..get a 2nd line center with great leadership, a 1st rounder in 22, and a nice 3rd line role player. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Sakman said:

Once in who‘s lifetime? A June bug?

The June bugs are once a year, in July. 

He might have meant the 17-year cycle cicadas. They’ve been an internet sensation this year. The Sabres got Perreault in 1970, Turgeon in 1987, Eichel in 2015, Dahlin 2018? That’s a 16 year cycle, so I guess Buffalo isn’t too far off.