Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

I find this extremely depressing and the trade hasn’t even happened yet.  This thread is like watching the gallows being constructed from your cell window…

This team will be better without Eichel. You know why? Because they SUCKED the whole time he was here. The players coming back will lift this team more than Eichel ever did.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

There have been numerous goalies mentioned here time and time again.  Now it’s Gibson, before that it was goalies from Columbus and Arizona. All I know I’d Hutton needs to never play again and we need a goalie to split time with Uhlmark and be at least equally effective.  

We cannot go into next season with Uhlmark and a Hutton-type goalie while waiting for UPL to maybe be good in 2 or 3 more years.  

This team will NEVER improve until they address this. 

I don't disagree that our goaltending needs dramatic improvement, Hutton will never play again, we won't be able to sign a good free agent because why would they sign here, is there a team that will trade a quality goalie?  It's not gonna be easy.

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

This team will be better without Eichel. You know why? Because they SUCKED the whole time he was here. The players coming back will lift this team more than Eichel ever did.

Kinda how the players coming back in the ROR trade lifted the team.

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Ullmark is never going to resign with Buffalo if you keep spelling his name wrong.

and he won't resign because he has many years left, but hopefully he'll re-sign with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I don't disagree that our goaltending needs dramatic improvement, Hutton will never play again, we won't be able to sign a good free agent because why would they sign here, is there a team that will trade a quality goalie?  It's not gonna be easy.

Eichel, Sam, and Risto are all rumored to be on the trading block. Given this I would hope that we can bring in a competent NHL goalie to share the load with Linus and prevent us from rushing UPL.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Eichel, Sam, and Risto are all rumored to be on the trading block. Given this I would hope that we can bring in a competent NHL goalie to share the load with Linus and prevent us from rushing UPL.  

Will Linus sign with us? That's a huge off season need.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Correlation vs. causation.  They should teach a class on it to Buffalo sports fans.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So we lose a lot for three more years ???  Can’t we just do better and get another NHL goalie right now.  

The reason I'd want Ulmark is that I think he's an above average goalie. It would be hard to find another goalie better than him.

You want to sign or find a higher quality backup for this year I'm fine with that.

58 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The reason I'd want Ulmark is that I think he's an above average goalie. It would be hard to find another goalie better than him.

You want to sign or find a higher quality backup for this year I'm fine with that.

Agree on Ullmark. The 4 teams still playing either needed two goalies to get here (Mtl, Veg, NYI) or one that is all world (TB). Mtl doesn’t make the playoffs without Allen. 

I want Ullmark back and am prepared to give him 4-5 years at 4-5 million. This is not because I think he should be our clear #1 for the full term of the contract. It’s because in today’s NHL most teams need a 1A and a 1B. We have half of that for 4-5 years if we keep Ullmark. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Ullmark at anything less than 5.5mil a year is wishful thinking. 

That seems high to me. Maybe there’s a team that rolls the dice for 1-2 years on him at that. Longer term would be high risk though. 

I do think he will have playoff teams kicking the tires on him. Edm, Tor, Col, Pitt and others could all have interest. 

Unless you mean 5.5 is what it will take for us to keep him over teams that will offer less but give him a better chance to win? If so, that could be true. 

Edited by Archie Lee
Addition

Will the fact hat teams do not have to carry three goalies next year (I assume) free up the market some for that position? 

Totally agree that the teams still playing right now are there in large measure because of the goaltending. You need at least two of them to be successful 

13 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

That seems high to me. Maybe there’s a team that rolls the dice for 1-2 years on him at that. Longer term would be high risk though. 

I do think he will have playoff teams kicking the tires on him. Edm, Tor, Col, Pitt and others could all have interest. 

Unless you mean 5.5 is what it will take for us to keep him over teams that will offer less but give him a better chance to win? If so, that could be true. 

He made 2.6 last year is now a UFA and was pretty good. I think it will take us 5.5 to keep him. Unless he really likes it here. 

In an ideal world, the Sabres sign Linus to a four-year $20 million deal. He's good, he's peaking and he's worth it.

The thought that he will accept less to avoid free agency is wishful thinking IMO. He's the best UFA goalie on the market, save Grubauer and he will be signing with a team that wants him as their #1, not to share the crease.

Maybe if the Gibson rumours are true his rights get flipped to the Ducks.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The market value for Ullmark isn't as high as many people think. The goalie market is loaded with mid-tier goalies who are in the same talent range as him. The issue for Ullmark is his durability. If he can't be had on a reasonable contract with a modest length then the fallback options are plenty. 

I don't think you are far off on the price range if that figure is the ceiling. If that is not satisfactory to the player then it is time to seek other options. In my mind he is a mid-tier caliber goalie with major durability questions. Buffalo is a good situation for him and he is a player I would want to keep. But I be very wary about overestimating his value.  

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The market value for Ullmark isn't as high as many people think. The goalie market is loaded with mid-tier goalies who are in the same talent range as him. The issue for Ullmark is his durability. If he can't be had on a reasonable contract with a modest length then the fallback options are plenty. 

I don't think you are far off on the price range if that figure is the ceiling. If that is not satisfactory to the player then it is time to seek other options. In my mind he is a mid-tier caliber goalie with major durability questions. Buffalo is a good situation for him and he is a player I would want to keep. But I be very wary about overestimating his value.  

This is far from truth.

Ullmark is significantly better than Anderson Dubnyk, Reimer, Raantta, Mrazek, Elliott and Smith. Those are the guys you sign to be a stop-gap, or a 1B.

Plus he's younger; he's arriving, not departing. If you want a #1, Ullmark and Grubauer are the only guys worth looking at.

Injuries and the Sabres bad play have blinded many on Sabrespace to how good Linus is, but it won't blind GMs.

He's been a DeLuca .500 goalie over the past two years on the Sabres.

Think about that one for a second. With Linus in goal, the Sabres are 90-point team.

He's going to light it up somewhere next year, and it will be yet another tick to our lengthy history of mismanagement.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, jsb said:

Are some of you guys really getting your panties all wadded up over a Chad D. article?? Really?? He may or may not be close but holy cow just hold on before you jump off a cliff with this. Let's see what the real deal turns out to be before the inevitable this sucks thread comes out 😃😁😇

I'm normally this guy.  But the Sabres have given me so little faith in their competence that I can no longer give them the benefit of the doubt. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is far from truth.

Ullmark is significantly better than Anderson Dubnyk, Reimer, Raantta, Mrazek, Elliott and Smith. Those are the guys you sign to be a stop-gap, or a 1B.

Plus he's younger; he's arriving, not departing. If you want a #1, Ullmark and Grubauer are the only guys worth looking at.

Injuries and the Sabres bad play have blinded many on Sabrespace to how good Linus is, but it won't blind GMs.

Think about that one for a second. With Linus in goal, the Sabres are 90-point team.

He's going to light it up somewhere next year, and it will be yet another tick to our lengthy history of mismanagement.

I have no doubt that he can be very good on a better team.

Only question is can a team count on him to play more than 40 games?  He hasn’t been able to stay healthy.  If I’m looking to sign someone as a long term #1 goalie, that’s a major concern.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Curt said:

I have no doubt that he can be very good on a better team.

Only question is can a team count on him to play more than 40 games?  He hasn’t been able to stay healthy.  If I’m looking to sign someone as a long term #1 goalie, that’s a major concern.

It's a question. It's not a question as big as those tied to the other goalies on the market.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

This is far from truth.

A durable Ullmark is a valued asset when healthy. That is not what you can count on. Odds are that he is not going to get an extended length contract because of the durability issue from us or anywhere else.  When discussing the other players you listed the issue isn't whether he is better as it is whether what his worth is at his price compared to the other more reasonably priced options. 

Marty Biron has frequently stated that he would like to see Ullmark back. But he always qualifies it with if his price becomes outside the responsible range there will be plenty of options in the expansive goalie market that includes free agency and trades. I'm going with the loquacious Marty when discussing goalies. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Then I'm walking away.  He's a replacement level goalie that is injury prone at this point in his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Then I'm walking away.  He's a replacement level goalie that is injury prone at this point in his career. 

Hes better than replacement level. But I'm okay with the likely outcome of this as long as we get two real goalies (which is scary considering that he is one of the only real goalies we've had since Miller)

It's also worth noting that sabres fans have a knack for being flippant about losing useful players and then having the lack of ability to replace them be a driving force of their mediocrity the next season 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Derrico said:

How does a replacement-level goalie go 26-20-6 with the 2019-21 Buffalo Sabres?

• Like (+1) 5