What do we get for Hall? When does he get traded?

GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From the Athletic.  
https://theathletic.com/2484099/2021/03/29/who-stays-who-goes-nhl-trade-deadline-board/

KA must be talking to everyone.  The articles list us in on Liljigren, DeBrusk, Merzlinkins, Manson, Driedger, plus offering Montour (Jets interested) and Reinhart. They said trading Reinhart is unlikely and not overly smart.

Hall’s value to a good team is that he when motivated is a very good playmaker, but he needs better players around him at this point.  He can’t do it alone like he did in his magical NJ season. He needs a goal scoring center to play with and some to create space.

This is silly. He’s worth more than Staal regardless of his performance this season. Also, he hasn’t been bad dating back to his trade to Arizona. He’s been bad here but he was fine in Arizona. 10-17-27 in 35 games. That’s a 23-40-63 pace.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Should the Sabres be "buyers" at the deadline if the deals are right? 

I say if the culture fit you are looking for is there you go for them.

Also...Is it time to bring a Foligno back to Buffalo? I'd look to sign Nick in the off-season if they think he's a fit. 

I’m always pro-“buying” if there’s someone out there under contract that fits the direction you want to go in. I will admit it’s harder to define what that is if you don’t have a permanent HC, though.

Also, I am 100% over any sentimental value added to moves. I couldn’t care less about adding a Foligno for the sake of harkening back to a time where this franchise still couldn’t win anything. Nick Foligno is BIG meh to me.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m always pro-“buying” if there’s someone out there under contract that fits the direction you want to go in. I will admit it’s harder to define what that is if you don’t have a permanent HC, though.

Also, I am 100% over any sentimental value added to moves. I couldn’t care less about adding a Foligno for the sake of harkening back to a time where this franchise still couldn’t win anything. Nick Foligno is BIG meh to me.

The rumored office adds need to get here yesterday.

Hopefully Rutherford or whoever the advisor is and Karmanos hit the ground running. The fact that they have been recently employed should help in their knowledge of the current players available at the deadline.

Adams has already been on the phones so he should have his list already. 

Only a few of the available players are worth a look anyways but even one or two adds would help move the needle forward. 

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

This is silly. He’s worth more than Staal regardless of his performance this season. Also, he hasn’t been bad dating back to his trade to Arizona. He’s been bad here but he was fine in Arizona. 10-17-27 in 35 games. That’s a 23-40-63 pace.

hockeywriters piece was reading had LeBrun saying Buffalo wanted a 2nd for Staal but nobody offered it so they took the 3rd and 5th. Also says they are looking for a 1st for Hall but he doubts we get it as it's a buyer's market. 

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-sabres-mulling-a-variety-of-trade-scenarios-involving-taylor-hall~2171089

Dreger talks teams looking at a trade and then extension for Hall. Sounds like return would be higher. Don’t count out that 1st rounder yet.

I am in the group who can't get rid of his butt fast enough.  I think he is almost as big a drag as Staal was.  First rounder or other wise.

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I am in the group who can't get rid of his butt fast enough.  I think he is almost as big a drag as Staal was.  First rounder or other wise.

He's much better player than Staal, but his presence is tiresome. He doesn't see himself as part of the solution and it shows.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's much better player than Staal, but his presence is tiresome. He doesn't see himself as part of the solution and it shows.

IMHO, he has the attitude of a mercenary now that Eichel is out -- he's not getting his big contract off the Sabres, so he just wants out.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

IMHO, he has the attitude of a mercenary now that Eichel is out -- he's not getting his big contract off the Sabres, so he just wants out.

I don't think he ever wanted to be here beyond one year.  There were a lot of factors that came together to make this 1 year deal work well (conceptually) for both Hall and the Sabres.  But it was always only going to last the one year.

His poor season will limit his return at the deadline, but he will still bring some kind of decent compensation. Why?

Because someone around the league will think *they* have the magic power to turn his game around and that Hall just needs a change of scenery to morph into a much better player.

You see this all the time, in all sorts of sports.

I'll be overjoyed if we get a first for him.  Maybe a qualified first (like the team that gets him must win a playoff series for us to get a first round pick) and even then the Sabres will likely retain salary.

He'll be gone at the deadline or before, so we will find out soon enough! 

• Like (+1) 1

Why does everyone keep saying Hall isn't producing.  He is.  Not at the level we hoped certainly, but considering we have no centers for him to play with, he still has 18 pts in 34 games.  That's about 45 pts for the season.   Not great and the 2 goals are a huge disappointment, but a 45 point player is a top 6 forward in today's NHL like it or not. 

He is also creating on the worst team ever.  Put him on a line with good players and a real goal scoring center for him to create for and he'll be even more effective.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why does everyone keep saying Hall isn't producing.  He is.  Not at the level we hoped certainly, but considering we have no centers for him to play with, he still has 18 pts in 34 games.  That's about 45 pts for the season.   Not great and the 2 goals are a huge disappointment, but a 45 point player is a top 6 forward in today's NHL like it or not. 

He is also creating on the worst team ever.  Put him on a line with good players and a real goal scoring center for him to create for and he'll be even more effective.  

For 8 million $$$, 12 ES points(including just 1 goal) in 34 games is a joke.  That is not top 6 production in any way, shape or form.

I would have expected Hall and Reinhart to step up and produce in Jack's absence.  They have both failed.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Statistically you might be correct pointwise, but he's played a ton with Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart, and been getting prime ice time by the bucketful.

I don't think he's done much creating — the two goals aren't misleading — maybe he should have 4 or 5. And he's not passing the eye test, or at least he hasn't for the past 15-20 games. I think he's clearly mentally moved on.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know how you can watch him play hockey and think he's contributing anything whatsoever.

The only thing Taylor Hall has done this year is get hit in the face with stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't know how you can watch him play hockey and think he's contributing anything whatsoever.

The only thing Taylor Hall has done this year is get hit in the face with stuff.

More than some of his team mates have done. At least he blocked a shot 🙂

I was amused reading Staal talking about "putting the Buffalo experience behind him" when one of the reasons it was so bad was BECAUSE of him. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He's literally directly responsible for a goal or two against a game lately. 

He's a net negative it's not just about getting a few assists 

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

For 8 million $$$, 12 ES points(including just 1 goal) in 34 games is a joke.  That is not top 6 production in any way, shape or form.

I would have expected Hall and Reinhart to step up and produce in Jack's absence.  They have both failed.

If they weren’t producing enough with Jack skating with them, they aren’t going to be more productive without him.

Edited by Curt
Double quote

I'm going to kindly say to all the Hall naysayers that KA is going to either get a 1st plus for him or 2 2nds plus for him.  He is going to get it sooner then later as well.

FYI  https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalo-sabres-gm-players-may-be-on-the-move-before-trade-deadline/c-323116798?tid=277548856

I'm going to kindly say to all the Hall naysayers that KA is going to either get a 1st plus for him or 2 2nds plus for him.  He is going to get it sooner then later as well.

FYI  https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalo-sabres-gm-players-may-be-on-the-move-before-trade-deadline/c-323116798?tid=277548856

I think it's entirely possible we get that kind of return for him, but I'm not counting on it.

He is a skilled player with a track record and his play this year is easily chalked up by GMs to Buffa-stink. They've spent more on worse rental bets than Hall. It's also a supply and demand market, and he is right at the top of a limited supply of top-six forwards. He's a rental and he'll go to the highest bidder.

That doesn't change the fact he has largely sucked this year and he was one of the first to pack it in as the season slipped away. Watching Mittelstadt and Thompson of all people put his effort to shame the past two games was the final straw. I've arrived to the point that if Kevyn Adams re-signs Hall at any price, I will completely lose faith in his hockey judgement.

It will take people of the right character to turn this mess around, and Taylor Hall clearly ain't it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think it's entirely possible we get that kind of return for him, but I'm not counting on it.

He is a skilled player with a track record and his play this year is easily chalked up by GMs to Buffa-stink. They've spent more on worst rental bets than Hall. It's also a supply and demand market, and he is right at the top of a limited supply of top-six forwards. He's a rental and he'll go to the highest bidder.

That doesn't change the fact he has largely sucked this year and he was one of the first to pack it in as the season slipped away. Watching Mittelstadt and Thompson of all people put his effort to shame the past two games was the final straw. I've arrived to the point that if Kevyn Adams re-signs Hall at any price, I will completely lose faith in his hockey judgement.

It will take people of the right character to turn this mess around, and Taylor Hall clearly ain't it.

Oh I agree that Hall hasn’t been close to what we hoped.  I was against giving him an extension from day one.  

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-buffalo-sabres-mulling-a-variety-of-trade-scenarios-involving-taylor-hall-1.1615908

Dreger suggests that some teams want Hall only if he signs a new deal.  (Fools).  That said, It sounds like the perfect scenario for a conditional 1st plus.  The conditions will probably be the 1st becomes a 2nd if he doesn't re-sign or the new team doesn't make the Conference Finals (similar to the Kane trade).

I think now that Bos, Tor, Stl and the NYI are probably the most likely destinations

We've seen DeBrusk and a 1st discussed with Boston.  I like 2 2nds from Toronto plus Liljigren and Kerfoot.  

Not sure what Stl and the NYI have to offer.  I wouldn't mind snatching Kiefer Bellows from the NYI.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.