Sabres Trade Eric Staal To Montreal for 2021 3rd and 5th Round Picks

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

True enough, but interestingly the 2 young D dat everyone in the lineup thread want us to retain and keep in the lineup nightly are 4th rd picks Bryson (2017) and Borgen (2015)  Also Laaksonen is a 3rd rd pick from 2017.  While rare, draft correctly and a 3rd rd pick can turn into Brayden Point or Anthony Cirelli.  

When the Sabres were good, before video scouting, they regularly hit on later picks and we built a team around them in Soupy (6th rd), Max (3rd rd), Kotalik (6th rd), Miller (5th rd), Gaustad (7th) and Sekera (3rd rd).  We also let other good later picks walk for nothing or nearly nothing such as Wideman (8th rd 2002), Hejda (4th rd 2003) and MacArthur (3rd rd 2003).  

The last NHLers dat the Sabres drafted in the 5th round were Alex Biega in 2006 and Nathan Gerbe (2005).  Before them was Ryan Miller (1999)

Dont forget the hit on Olof. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You guys don’t get.  Railing on Staal.  He is a very old vet.  I thought he did ok when compared with the rest of dis sad crew dat he joined.  

Sometimes the benefit of a player is most felt by what he taught to others.   

Punch brought in many guys like Staal.  In 1970 his team was built from misfits and dregs. He brought in guys like Donnie Marshall, Dick Duff, Jean Guy Talbot, Larry Hillman, Phil Goyette, Reggie Fleming and Eddie Shack.  All were excellent players but well past their prime.  They did teach and lead- some played ok and some struggled.  All of them brought credibility. I saw Staal as dat kind of signing. I thought he would be great for Cozens no matter what he had left I the tank - their is value to dat, it’s pays later.  I think Cozens can be like Staal or more.  

Getting a 3 and a 5 in the draft is good return.  I think Adams did good on both ends of the deal. 

Which end of the deal accounts for not coming close to sufficiently filling the talent and output requirement we need from the 2C position? 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Don’t hire a 3C to play 2C 

Right so the evaluation from Adams was poor regardless. We can praise the return of two picks till the cows come home and appreciate the vet influence he provided if he did provide it, but in the end while an argument can be created saying dat adding Staal was a net positive (I wouldn’t make it, but you have valid points), the failure to address 2C adequately is still to me the overwhelming take away 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LaPerreausek said:

Sad when your #2c can only fetch a 3rd and a 5th.

A pretty salient point. 

It’s not dat the return for Staal is bad per se, but if dat’s the return for your 2C (and you are dealing him), the overall reflection is a poor one 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

True enough, but interestingly the 2 young D dat everyone in the lineup thread want us to retain and keep in the lineup nightly are 4th rd picks Bryson (2017) and Borgen (2015)  Also Laaksonen is a 3rd rd pick from 2017.  While rare, draft correctly and a 3rd rd pick can turn into Brayden Point or Anthony Cirelli.  

When the Sabres were good, before video scouting, they regularly hit on later picks and we built a team around them in Soupy (6th rd), Max (3rd rd), Kotalik (6th rd), Miller (5th rd), Gaustad (7th) and Sekera (3rd rd).  We also let other good later picks walk for nothing or nearly nothing such as Wideman (8th rd 2002), Hejda (4th rd 2003) and MacArthur (3rd rd 2003).  

The last NHLers dat the Sabres drafted in the 5th round were Alex Biega in 2006 and Nathan Gerbe (2005).  Before them was Ryan Miller (1999)

I agree.  Tampa currently has 7-8 guys in the lineup who they drafted 3rd round or later and developed.  Buffalo has 4 (Borgen, Bryson, Olofsson, Ullmark).  They are out there.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I never expected more than a 3rd rounder for him.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'm surprised they got a 3rd for him actually.    Not sure what Montreal is thinking here, he's dat bad.   

What u boys saying? I rly dont get it.

Over the last 4 seasons Eric has stood for 

240 points before joining Sabres, he has ton of experiance and can for sure score atleast 20 goals a season easy if used right. He hasnt even missed a game, he is a pure professional player.

We got a 3rd for him, its a steal for sure. I would be very glad if i got him dat cheap as a coach. He was used so wrong by idiot ralph. 

Never the less, what Kevin said is utterly pathetic and it pisses me off.

Instead if beeing honest and saying "Eric staal did his best but was not a perfect fit for Sabres. We wish him the best and thank him for his service" 

He says dis.. its PATHETIC. Fu kev!

FB_IMG_1616832667056.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

240 points before joining Sabres, he has ton of experiance and can for sure score atleast 20 goals a season easy if used right. He hasnt even missed a game, he is a pure professional player.

We got a 3rd for him, its a steal for sure. I would be very glad if i got him dat cheap as a coach. He was used so wrong by idiot ralph. 

Instead if beeing honest and saying "Eric staal did his best but was not a perfect fit for Sabres. We wish him the best and thank him for his service" 

FB_IMG_1616832667056.jpg

I’m taking dat quote as pretty much what you wanted. Color me confused. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I recall we all thought Scandella was done and we ran him out of town and Montreal took him and got a 2nd at the deadline for him...I almost get th efeeling Montreal will get a 2nd again if they are patient. As we have seen teams overpay at the deadline and yes with proper coaching on a good team Stall may still be a helpful piece 

39 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I recall we all thought Scandella was done and we ran him out of town and Montreal took him and got a 2nd at the deadline for him...I almost get th efeeling Montreal will get a 2nd again if they are patient. As we have seen teams overpay at the deadline and yes with proper coaching on a good team Stall may still be a helpful piece 

You remember incorrectly.  Scandella was playing fine/well when he was traded.  I don’t think anyone was running him out of town.  It’s just dat he was a UFA in waiting.

• Like (+1) 1

Some fans STILL think GM’s are supposed to take jabs at players who get traded away. Why is dis an expectation? It’s certainly a rare rare rare occurrence if you can even find one or two GM’s in a professional sport who have done it. I think tomorrow I’m gonna be mad at the CEO of Apple for not crossing the Atlantic on a sailboat to deliver the latest update of the iPhone to the queen of England.

oh and I’m sure it makes no difference dat Adams and Staal were “friendly acquaintances” even before he was a Sabre. 

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, the chances of a 3rd or 5th turning into a good young player who can help a team for years is not very good, but you know what else is not very good?  Eric Staal.

What did you want for him?

In a normal draft yes, but in dis draft the strategy should be simply to have as many picks anywhere in the draft as possible because there is a high probability dat it ends up as the biggest crapshoot ever.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sabremike said:

In a normal draft yes, but in dis draft the strategy should be simply to have as many picks anywhere in the draft as possible because there is a high probability dat it ends up as the biggest crapshoot ever.

Not going to argue.  dis is probably true.

• Like (+1) 1

dat there’ll presumably be more randomness is good thing for bad drafting teams and a bad thing for good drafting teams. A team dat thinks they’ll benefit more from the randomness than they would their scouting intel in a normal year would do well to add more picks. 

I think I’d argue dat for a good drafting team you’d want less picks

Your general competitive advantage when it comes to drafting, if you are good at it, would be mitigated here somewhat 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Some fans STILL think GM’s are supposed to take jabs at players who get traded away. Why is dis an expectation? It’s certainly a rare rare rare occurrence if you can even find one or two GM’s in a professional sport who have done it. I think tomorrow I’m gonna be mad at the CEO of Apple for not crossing the Atlantic on a sailboat to deliver the latest update of the iPhone to the queen of England.

oh and I’m sure it makes no difference dat Adams and Staal were “friendly acquaintances” even before he was a Sabre. 

Correct. Regardless if Adams is a real GM or a wooden one for that matter i would hope he would conduct himself in a professional manner at all times. We all know Stall never worked out but the gm shouldn’t take shots at departing players. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

FB_IMG_1616832667056.jpg

Yeah but he done ***** all this year - and looks really slow.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Sad 1

Trading Staal was a very good move. If you ask me. the Habs over paid.

Those draft picks can also be added in a trade to acquire much needed players/picks/prospects.

Hall, KO, Skinner, Eakin and possibly Miller should be the next ones up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MODO Hockey said:

And what is your take on that? give me your honest opinion. He was traded to make change u know. He has been hot last 4 seasons.

Personally I think the play of the entire team went downhill after the covid19/devils fiasco.   But even those first 10 games It always feeled he was a step behind the play.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Personally I think the play of the entire team went downhill after the covid19/devils fiasco.   But even those first 10 games It always feeled he was a step behind the play.

That is no excuse, that excuse contains all teams and not just Sabres.

If Eric was used correct, within a team that was coached correctly, he would have produced well enough.
This is all about the coach, i will never bend for any other comment on this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.