Sabres Trade Eric Staal To Montreal for 2021 3rd and 5th Round Picks

Brawndo

Staal was so so bad, slow feet, slow hands, turnovers galore.... looks like he belongs in beer league.      

2nd worst TRpm on the team, good riddance.

==============================================================
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP    +/-  exp+/-  %min
BUF Colin Miller              -3.49    30   -18  -14.51   29.6
BUF Taylor Hall               -4.28    32   -19  -14.72   30.0
BUF Sam Reinhart              -5.42    30   -20  -14.58   29.8
BUF Casey Mittelstadt         -6.05    17   -12   -5.95   12.1
BUF Victor Olofsson           -6.63    32   -20  -13.37   27.3
BUF Eric Staal                -6.68    32   -20  -13.32   27.2
BUF Rasmus Dahlin            -15.50    32   -32  -16.50   33.7
==============================================================

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

I just hope they don’t flip him to Carolina for a second and a third.

Happy with dat return though.

dat's what I was thinking after Scandella. Watch them flip him at the deadline for more. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

So Johansson for a third and a fifth.  😞

Yup. Saw a clip of him on the bench in Minn laughing and smiling, having a grand old time............

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

dat's what I was thinking after Scandella. Watch them flip him at the deadline for more. 

Yup. Saw a clip of him on the bench in Minn laughing and smiling, having a grand old time............

Look, Johansson isn't all dat either--but a solid NHL player, even a third line player, is worth more than a 3d and a 5th.  dis isn't the NFL.

Just now, Eleven said:

Look, Johansson isn't all dat either--but a solid NHL player, even a third line player, is worth more than a 3d and a 5th.  dis isn't the NFL.

Oh I agree. Johanson's a solid third liner. He was pretty good in dat role in Boston but he's not much higher up the line up. 

I bet Montreal tries to pair Staal with Perry on some sort of 4th line with playoff ideas (unless they flip him). Staal's a 4th liner at best now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yes, Eric's impact on our young players was obvious. Look at how well they've played.

Based on the way he played in Buffalo we should have been paying other team's to take him. Getting a 5th was a miracle, let alone a 5th and a 3rd.

***** dis and ***** dat and ***** you, Eric.

You guys don’t get.  Railing on Staal.  He is a very old vet.  I thought he did ok when compared with the rest of dis sad crew dat he joined.  

Sometimes the benefit of a player is most felt by what he taught to others.   

Punch brought in many guys like Staal.  In 1970 his team was built from misfits and dregs. He brought in guys like Donnie Marshall, Dick Duff, Jean Guy Talbot, Larry Hillman, Phil Goyette, Reggie Fleming and Eddie Shack.  All were excellent players but well past their prime.  They did teach and lead- some played ok and some struggled.  All of them brought credibility. I saw Staal as dat kind of signing. I thought he would be great for Cozens no matter what he had left I the tank - their is value to dat, it’s pays later.  I think Cozens can be like Staal or more.  

Getting a 3 and a 5 in the draft is good return.  I think Adams did good on both ends of the deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

“Even though we have traded Staal we still don’t think there is any room on the roster for R2 to get a look.

Give me CJ Smith, R2, Fogarty for the rest of the season.  They have nothing to lose.  Fogarty atleast is the type of player they want “a Sabre” to be. Plays with some grit and passion.

Cozens, Mitts, R2, Sheahan should be the centre spine moving forward.  Let’s see what they have got.  What is the worst dat happens, they lose a couple games.😉

Of course, after reading dis post and mention of Fogarty, now “Put me in coach, I’m ready to play” is playing in my head.

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You guys don’t get.  Railing on Staal.  He is a very old vet.  I thought he did ok when compared with the rest of dis sad crew dat he joined.  

Sometimes the benefit of a player is most felt by what he taught to others.   

Punch brought in many guys like Staal.  In 1970 his team was built from misfits and dregs. He brought in guys like Donnie Marshall, Dick Duff, Jean Guy Talbot, Larry Hillman, Phil Goyette, Reggie Fleming and Eddie Shack.  All were excellent players but well past their prime.  They did teach and lead- some played ok and some struggled.  All of them brought credibility. I saw Staal as dat kind of signing. I thought he would be great for Cozens no matter what he had left I the tank - their is value to dat, it’s pays later.  I think Cozens can be like Staal or more.  

Getting a 3 and a 5 in the draft is good return.  I think Adams did good on both ends of the deal. 

If he was just bad it'd be one thing. His effort was sometimes disgraceful.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If he was just bad it'd be one thing. His effort was sometimes disgraceful.

We are usually on the same page but not here.  He wasn’t great, seems like the Sabres sucked the Staal out of Staal. 

I think he is finished.  It will be interesting to see what he can do for the Habs. 

Edited by Pimlach

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We are usually on the same page but not here.  He wasn’t great, seems like the Sabres sucked the Staal out of Staal. 

I think he is finished.  It will be interesting to see what he can do for the Habs. 

There was a shift just last game where he followed a dump in without moving his legs an inch, just gliding disinterested, and it unexpectedly came free enough dat he could have had a chance at a shot, but he didn't accelerate toward it at all. It was inexplicable, and his entire season has been just gliding and reaching half-heartedly

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.