Fire Kevyn Adams

GASabresIUFAN

24 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

I wonder how much they convinced themselves they were going to get McDavid, and the sting of that kind of lurking around.  Maybe it bristled Jack and thus always doomed from the start.  TM's reaction on Lotto night always irked me still does to this day.  They just seemed so convinced - like you have to be saying going into the season and then the Lotto - look, we're going to get a great player.  We have stock piled picks and assets to start a new era.  Eichel or McDavid, it doesn't matter he's just one piece albeit an important one.  

I'm just mussing out loud here trying to figure out how it all went wrong.  

In reality it was a bunch of things stacked up on each other.  

To be fair “to be fairrrrrrr” McDavid looked very disappointed in his reaction to being selected by EDM 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

To be fair “to be fairrrrrrr” McDavid looked very disappointed in his reaction to being selected by EDM 

He looked like he wanted to cry when Edmonton won the lottery.  He wanted to be here.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Very true.

He should have been a Sabre.  

East Coast team and exposure.  Best fan base in the league.  15K go see him play in Juniors.  It was supposed to be - I think the FO and Terry got sucked in to that without understanding its very likely to NOT happen.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

I wonder how much they convinced themselves they were going to get McDavid, and the sting of that kind of lurking around.  Maybe it bristled Jack and thus always doomed from the start.  TM's reaction on Lotto night always irked me still does to this day.  They just seemed so convinced - like you have to be saying going into the season and then the Lotto - look, we're going to get a great player.  We have stock piled picks and assets to start a new era.  Eichel or McDavid, it doesn't matter he's just one piece albeit an important one.  

In reality it was a bunch of things stacked up on each other.  

the big short GIFThis era has been our Big Short. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Very true.

He should have been a Sabre.  

East Coast team and exposure.  Best fan base in the league.  15K go see him play in Juniors.  It was supposed to be - I think the FO and Terry got sucked in to that without understanding its very likely to NOT happen.  

I wouldn’t say very likely to not happen.  It was a 50/50 shot.  Buffalo or Edmonton 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

I wouldn’t say very likely to not happen.  It was a 50/50 shot.  Buffalo or Edmonton 

I think we only had around a 20% chance of winning the lottery.  The tank was for a 1/5 chance at McDavid, with Eichel (a potentially generational player) being the worst case scenario.

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

I think we only had around a 20% chance of winning the lottery.  The tank was for a 1/5 chance at McDavid with Eichel (a potentially generational player) being the worst case scenario.

Oh my bad.  You are correct.

Was it 2014 then that was 50/50?

14 hours ago, lothar said:

Fundamentally, until we build up our scouting system and front office to be passable, we just have more of these wtf transactions to look forward to. 

As happy as I was for the Risto trade value, the Rhino return feels ten times worse.

And when you're as bad as the Sabres with their skeleton scouting crew, I think you at least follow some semblance of consensus ratings for the middle rounds.

I feel like I need to do like that recently returned Bills fan and check back in 10 years.

Lothar, of the Hill People?  Much have you seen and much have you done.

The trade for Sam feels worse but is it when you consider what the Rags received for Buchnevich? 

I’ve read a few different articles regarding the draft and the Sabres had some surprisingly good marks from many, including Pronman.  The crew was skeleton, but Karmanos had access to all Pittsburgh’s scouting reports so definitely a check and balance on our guys.  And Kudos to KA for taking a flock of Russians.  As noted in an another post, might help them acclimate as a group when they do arrive in Western NY.  

Waiting for UFA, Eichel trade  and maybe a trade with a club needing to shed cap space before I’m doom and gloom.  Maybe check back in 2 years 😉.  JK,  the conversation here is unparalleled, welcome.

19 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

It went wrong when XGMTM squandered all Darcy's accumulated draft and prospect capital on "accelerating" the rebuild, resulting in an empty cupboard.  I believe we're just now recovering from that, but the tank prizes are tired of waiting so the Sabres are having to do a conventional build now.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It went wrong when XGMTM squandered all Darcy's accumulated draft and prospect capital on "accelerating" the rebuild, resulting in an empty cupboard.  I believe we're just now recovering from that, but the tank prizes are tired of waiting so the Sabres are having to do a conventional build now.

All true and then you got to add the coaching.  Risto had 6 different coaches.  That's crazy.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Tired myth. Murray brought in almost as many picks as he shipped out. Botterill lost more picks relative. Did the research about a year back. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Murray made 25 draft picks in 3 drafts, + 4 from the normal 21 a team would have in its stock. 

Botterill made 18 selections in an identical 3 year time frame

- - - 

They didn't draft well, and their acquisitions themselves were questionable. Failures of execution. 

Murray had the best plan so far since Regier. Keeping in mind Murray didn't start the tank. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Murray made 25 draft picks in 3 drafts, + 4 from the normal 21 a team would have in its stock. 

Botterill made 18 selections in an identical 3 year time frame

- - - 

They didn't draft well, and their acquisitions themselves were questionable. Failures of execution. 

Murray had the best plan so far since Regier. Keeping in mind Murray didn't start the tank. 

And what was their success rate, taking away Reinhart-Eichel-Dahlin? That's 22 other picks, maybe 4-5 of them 'hit'?

I wonder how we would see things if the Reinhart trade had preceded the Risto trade.

Power should deliver.  Go enjoy the undergrad life for a spell.

Rosen is intriguing.  For a small country Sweden puts out some hockey.

it seems like several teams have been shy about drafting Russians.  The Sabres landed a surprising haul from Russia,  Historically, Russia has been prolific with its hockey.  Will it continue in Buffalo? If so. that would be nice!

I will miss Risto mainly because I appreciate a hockey player who can drop an opponent with a clean hit.   Now who?

Obviously, a good portion of the Skinner fund should of gone to perennial contributor Reinhart.  Levi and the pick could be a goldmine or a dud.  The Panthers got another nice asset.

I would not mind if Eichel remained a Sabre.  I prefer to see a healthy Eichel on a Sabres playoff team. 

KA please do not spend recklessly in FA.

Coach Granato, it’s your time.  Raise the boat.

Keep KA.  Give him a chance.  The high speed turnstile thingy has not worked out so well for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Tired myth. Murray brought in almost as many picks as he shipped out. Botterill lost more picks relative. Did the research about a year back. 

1_LI.thumb.jpg.ef1c221feae52023aa436f1d8f198952.jpg

I made this years ago. the red dots are the picks Murray made in 3 drafts, the blue dots are the picks Jason made in 3 drafts. In essentially every "region" of draft picks, Murray out-picked Jason or they at least tied. Murray made 25, Jason made 18

Jason was too busy acquiring Veseys to make draft picks 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

@Randall Flaggwhat are the numbers on the axis?

x axis is draft position. The plot in the background, which i added the dots to, is some measure of "value" provided by the draft slot, calculated by Sean Tierney. I only used that plot because i didn't feel like making my own, i could just make little dots with my mouse on his 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

x axis is draft position. The plot in the background, which i added the dots to, is some measure of "value" provided by the draft slot, calculated by Sean Tierney. I only used that plot because i didn't feel like making my own, i could just make little dots with my mouse on his 

People remember the couple high value picks Murray traded for an asset like Lehner that didn't pan out, but he didn't have a laissez-faire attitude when it came to draft picks - even if his evaluation in said trades was off, it doesn't mean the strategy itself needs to be written off going forward, and it also doesn't mean we didn't have a quantity of other picks capable of replenishing the system: because he didn't trade them all away at all. Botterill moved more and he also traded picks to move up IIRC. 

Edited by Thorny

Out: Reinhart, Risto, McCabe, Ullmark, Hutton

In: Hagg, Butcher, Hinostroza, Pysyk 

Staying: Caggiula, Davidson

Leaving: Eichel

Certainly steps in the right direction. 

Enough!  This guy has no idea what he’s doing.  Fire KA.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I was good with firing him 2 minutes into his press conference, announcing him as the permanent replacement.  3 DAYS AFTER BOTTERILL WAS FIRED.  Without any extensive search, because our owners were butt hurt that their feelings weren't being listened too.  Go to counseling and stay out of HOCKEY OPS. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.