Jump to content

GDT: 7pm ET, Sabres at NJ Devils MSG, ESPN+


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

3 studs: Ullmark, Dahlin, Asplund 

3 duds: Okposo, Irwin, Jokiharju

 

Linus is having a good season.  Dahlin stringing a few good games together.  Cozens looking good.   Reinhart playing well.  I saw the recap on NHL.TV. 
 

Nice to get a win.  Let’s beat the Islanders.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching the game after going out to play trivia with my family.  We won trivia by the way.

Really solid game by the Sabres.  I don't think anyone was particularly bad tonight, but a couple of guys stood out positively.  Ullmark, of course, with the best game by a Sabres goalie in years.  Reinhart continues his better play of late.  The line of Cozens, Staal and Hall seem to be developing nice chemistry.  I thought the D as a group was OK especially without it's two best players in Risto and McCabe.  They did a decent job of making NJ play from the outside, but none stood out as good either.  I really don't like Miller's game.  Cozens is going to be a star and is beginning to assert himself as one of our better forwards.  

I know many still don't like Casey. I'd like him to covert some of his chances, but he Lazar seemed to have good chemistry and are creating plenty of chances. Which is more then many other Sabres forwards can say. Casey sees the ice well and is playing 200 feet.  He is playing pretty solidly.   

Still a good solid effort and a good and much needed win.  Interestingly we scored two more 5 on 5 goals and guess what, both were scored at the net literally.  Again I'm shocked.  

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Olofsson is entering his "prime power play goal scoring" years.

We should acquire as many penalty drawing players as possible.

I know a guy, his name is Jeff.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did we really miss Jeff?? Taxi squaders littered the lineup the past 2 games and they deserved better against the Islanders and beat the Devils pretty convincingly. I'd sit him again and see if the younger guys can continue their good play. Asplund even without the goal I thought played his best game, Borgen and Bryson both played well, Mitts is coming around and is there any question at all concerning Cozens?? Unless Jeff can switch to the right side, I'd say sit him again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jsb said:

Did we really miss Jeff?? Taxi squaders littered the lineup the past 2 games and they deserved better against the Islanders and beat the Devils pretty convincingly. I'd sit him again and see if the younger guys can continue their good play. Asplund even without the goal I thought played his best game, Borgen and Bryson both played well, Mitts is coming around and is there any question at all concerning Cozens?? Unless Jeff can switch to the right side, I'd say sit him again.

In addition to his nice goal, I saw Asplund willing to throw the body...something we too often are in short supply of.

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There just has to be more to the Skinner story.

Yup.   that's why I haven't commented much.  There has to be more that we shouldn't be privy to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jsb said:

Did we really miss Jeff?? Taxi squaders littered the lineup the past 2 games and they deserved better against the Islanders and beat the Devils pretty convincingly. I'd sit him again and see if the younger guys can continue their good play. Asplund even without the goal I thought played his best game, Borgen and Bryson both played well, Mitts is coming around and is there any question at all concerning Cozens?? Unless Jeff can switch to the right side, I'd say sit him again.

I liked Asplund's game, thought he played well early last week too.     He deserves a spot.    

That said, I like Skinner over Mittlestadt.    Jeff is such a better skater, he creates more, draws penalties, etc.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

There just has to be more to the Skinner story.

certainly makes one wonder...I mean Jack is absolutely brutal out there and Hall is a complete bust yet Ralphie picks only on Skinner? Does not make a lot of sense. It's not Skinner's fault that he got such a absurd contract...and he was signed to score goals which he did very well until RK came along. Meanwhile everybody still wants to trade Sam and he is our best player right now (obviously others are close behind such as VO and I love Cozens). I do like the young guys we are seeing more of such as Cozens, Asplund, Borgen etc... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

certainly makes one wonder...I mean Jack is absolutely brutal out there and Hall is a complete bust yet Ralphie picks only on Skinner? Does not make a lot of sense. It's not Skinner's fault that he got such a absurd contract...and he was signed to score goals which he did very well until RK came along. Meanwhile everybody still wants to trade Sam and he is our best player right now (obviously others are close behind such as VO and I love Cozens). I do like the young guys we are seeing more of such as Cozens, Asplund, Borgen etc... 

Woah back that up. Some of us are sane. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Linus is having a good season.  Dahlin stringing a few good games together.  Cozens looking good.   Reinhart playing well.  I saw the recap on NHL.TV. 
 

Nice to get a win.  Let’s beat the Islanders.  

You didn't watch the game?  One of our better performances of the year, and Ullmark had his best game in net in quite a long time.  

We also kind of sort of have the Devils number, at least more than the other teams around us; they aren't a very good hockey team.  Currently sitting 1 spot ahead of the Sabres at #28 in the rankings. LOL

It helps that we play them again tomorrow.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

You didn't watch the game?  One of our better performances of the year, and Ullmark had his best game in net in quite a long time.  

We also kind of sort of have the Devils number, at least more than the other teams around us; they aren't a very good hockey team.  Currently sitting 1 spot ahead of the Sabres at #28 in the rankings. LOL

It helps that we play them again tomorrow.

 

Missed it live but caught it afterwards.  One of their better performances this year.  As I said, they need to do that to the Islanders to get to another level.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pi2000 said:

That said, I like Skinner over Mittlestadt.    Jeff is such a better skater, he creates more, draws penalties, etc.. 

I can't say I agree.  I mean, I'd like to see Skinner back, but I can't fault the games Mitts is putting up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 10:35 PM, Pimlach said:

Linus is having a good season.  Dahlin stringing a few good games together.  Cozens looking good.   Reinhart playing well.  I saw the recap on NHL.TV. 
 

Nice to get a win.  Let’s beat the Islanders.  

If they want to sneak in the playoffs i assume ullmarks gotta play almost every game.  

 

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I can't say I agree.  I mean, I'd like to see Skinner back, but I can't fault the games Mitts is putting up.

He's in a tough spot.  He's not on PP1 like VO, he doesn't kill penalties (which they need if rieder is out ie. asplund), he's not a center, and he's not a shutdown type of player (i don't see it either, but thats kruegers assumption of Eakin/okposo).  He should be on the top 2 lines, but hall and VO have those spots.  I wouldn't really tough the hall-staal-cozens line, and i don't know where else you can put oloffson where his shot would be remotely useful. 

So you're not benching eakin/lazar because they're centers.  You don't want to take out rieder/asplund and sheahan becasue of penalty kills (if you sit rieder/asplund, you're putting okposo or someone like cozens out there for PKs).  So you're left with okposo and mitts.  Mitts has put in good shifts in the time skinner's been in the press box, and okposo plays "the right way".  It seems dumb, but with mccabe gone, and jack seeming to struggle to find his own game - Okposo has the A and i think RK values (probably overvalues) that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...