Reasons not to panic

JoeSchmoe

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Entertainers are "essential workers?"

No not in the healthcare sense, but considering what things felt like when the initial lockdown happened when all the sports were shuttered.  In troubled times sports is an outlet, a positive distraction, a unifying element and honestly some semblance of normalcy in a world somewhat in chaos.  The pro sports industry is also a surprisingly important part of our economy.  Basically it's essential to our national well being.  

To also to put in a dosage perspective, your also only talking about 2000 to 2500 dosages across two countries and about 30 states and provinces for the NBA and NHL.  Not sure that's a big burden on the systems or producers given the economic and societal benefit.

I'm sure people will squawk, but they squawk about most everything now any way without knowing the facts or the consequences if they don't do it. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

If the NHL were to work a deal with local government to circumvent the process to get players vaccinated (ahead of the aged or compromised individuals) that would open up major controversy.

I thought the same, but I've pivoted on this view.  In aggregate, we are talking maybe 10k vaccines for the NHL & NBA  (Players and local staff). Assuming vaccinations can somehow reduce the disruptions to the schedule and prevent some players from spreading the virus this can positively affect the mental health of millions of fans like us that probably will not be vaccinated for months. I'm doing my part by staying at home, but my mental health is better served if I can watch these guys play while I'm stuck inside. If the US can deliver 1 million units per day, then the compromised would be delayed at most 1 day to have this subsection of the population jump the line.  A small price to pay.   

Secondarily, I've read a number of stories here in California where staff at health care facilities and hospitals who were eligible to be vaccinated were rejecting the opportunity at a rate of 30-50%. Some may have valid reasons for not complying, but if having a guy like Lebron James vaccinated (on tv, for all to see) might convince them otherwise, and positively affect the roll out, then I'm all for letting him and others get vaccinated ASAP. 

Did not see @GAsabrefan post 

Edited by Broken Ankles
missed post

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No not in the healthcare sense, but considering what things felt like when the initial lockdown happened when all the sports were shuttered.  In troubled times sports is an outlet, a positive distraction, a unifying element and honestly some semblance of normalcy in a world somewhat in chaos.  The pro sports industry is also a surprisingly important part of our economy.  Basically it's essential to our national well being.  

To also to put in a dosage perspective, your also only talking about 2000 to 2500 dosages across two countries and about 30 states and provinces for the NBA and NHL.  Not sure that's a big burden on the systems or producers given the economic and societal benefit.

I'm sure people will squawk, but they squawk about most everything now any way without knowing the facts or the consequences if they don't do it. 

44 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yes.

With all due respect, no.

On a philosophical level ALL jobs are essential to those that need them to sustain a living and from that standpoint entertainers are essential workers.  But when businesses are forced to shutter or operate at levels that ensure an inability to turn a profit in an arbitrary and capricious manner and at the whim of elected and unelected officials, no, entertainers are not essential workers.  There is more quality entertainment content available today than any person could watch in a lifetime; having new content today is not "essential" unless a very broad definition is used and at that point many other things also become essential.

Allowing millionares working for billionaires to ply their trade while not allowing youth hockey games amongst other things is wrong on several levels.  (And, yes, NYS very recently relented on that item after a recent semi-related event.)

(And this from somebody that is glad that we have NHL hockey available again.)

20 hours ago, nfreeman said:

They are not a .500 team.  They are 4-6.  If they end up on that pace they will finish a mile away from the playoffs.

#theonly500isDeLuca500baby

This is clunky, but what if we go old school (pre-OT) and say the Sabres are 2-4-4 (W-L-T) with a 2-2 record in a post-tie exhibition worth one point?

2-4-4. No bueno.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

On a philosophical level ALL jobs are essential to those that need them to sustain a living and from that standpoint entertainers are essential workers.  But when businesses are forced to shutter or operate at levels that ensure an inability to turn a profit in an arbitrary and capricious manner and at the whim of elected and unelected officials, no, entertainers are not essential workers.  There is more quality entertainment content available today than any person could watch in a lifetime; having new content today is not "essential" unless a very broad definition is used and at that point many other things also become essential.

Allowing millionares working for billionaires to ply their trade while not allowing youth hockey games amongst other things is wrong on several levels.  (And, yes, NYS very recently relented on that item after a recent semi-related event.)

I disagree.

The only content I watch is the NHL.

And haven't most of the healthcare workers and long term care facilities already been vaccinated? They have been at my daughter's home, and my 80 yo mom has been.

Everyone else I know can still WFH to keep themselves safe.

At this point, I have no problem using a couple of thousand doses for this. It wouldn't even be a blip on it's affect on the economy?

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This is the squawking I was talking about.  Come on Taro you can do better then the "Millionaires and Billionaires."  This about keeping a vital part of the economy open that can't continue safely without the vaccine.   Here is the math.  There are 31 NHL teams with about 30 players plus staff.  So about 50 vaccines per team.  That's about 1500 doses.  The NBA is 15 players and staff, so about 25-30 doses per team or about 900 doses.  We aren't denying anyone anything.  Also getting major sports figures vaccinated and advertising the fact that it's safe, will get people signed up.  We are doing 1,000,000 doses plus a day already.  What is 2500 for the sports safety?

Other industries don't have the contact issue. I've been working from home just fine since March.  Many others are finding the same thing.  Also TV/Movies are getting made without issue currently and musicians are adapting as well to drive in and Zoom concerts.  Not perfect, but still out there.  Sports in a live event that involves contact.  Safety should be a top priority.

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is clunky, but what if we go old school (pre-OT) and say the Sabres are 2-4-4 (W-L-T) with a 2-2 record in a post-tie exhibition worth one point?

2-4-4. No bueno.

And this year with smaller divisions and losing points to those in your division makes a bigger difference. 
giving say...San Jose, a loser point is different than giving Isle, Devs, etc a point

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the squawking I was talking about.  Come on Taro you can do better then the "Millionaires and Billionaires."  This about keeping a vital part of the economy open that can't continue safely without the vaccine.   Here is the math.  There are 31 NHL teams with about 30 players plus staff.  So about 50 vaccines per team.  That's about 1500 doses.  The NBA is 15 players and staff, so about 25-30 doses per team or about 900 doses.  We aren't denying anyone anything.  Also getting major sports figures vaccinated and advertising the fact that it's safe, will get people signed up.  We are doing 1,000,000 doses plus a day already.  What is 2500 for the sports safety?

Other industries don't have the contact issue. I've been working from home just fine since March.  Many others are finding the same thing.  Also TV/Movies are getting made without issue currently and musicians are adapting as well to drive in and Zoom concerts.  Not perfect, but still out there.  Sports in a live event that involves contact.  Safety should be a top priority.

You and @SwampD see eye to eye on this.  We don't.  Not a biggie.  🍺

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By definition, you are. Every vaccine that goes to a young, healthy pro athlete is one that doesn't go to someone judged by a particular state to need the vaccine more. We are not close to having vaccinated all of the people who are, for once, at the front of the line.

I do not agree that the NHL is a vital part of the economy.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree that teachers are essential and should be vaccinated ASAP.  Not so much for librarians.  Considering I likely got Covid at as restaurant, I understand that argument as well.  

However we are talking about the nature of the job.  Can it be done reasonably safely without direct contact. For example, banking is easily done without direct contact.  However somethings are not and given the number of doses needed here it’s de minims.  

I would separate "essential workers" like medical workers, stock people, truckers, food handlers, and the like from others -- without them, we cannot physically survive without winding society back 150 years.

Although not absolutely necessary, I have restauranteurs, car mechanics, public transport workers, and the like because, although I don't need them, I find that they make parts of my life much easier to cope with.  Teachers are in this group because although society doesn't collapse without them, it regresses in a big hurry.

There are psychologically important groups.  I have found I crave artists, musicians, theatres, hockey players, etc.  I subscribe to numerous artistic online performances and displays because of the pandemic.  I need the stress relief from even a bad Sabres game.

I want to emphasise the importance of the groups above.  The time between my therapist and psychiatrist appointments keep getting spaced further and further apart because they have more and more patients.  So I have a hard time being too critical of people who value them more than I do.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The amount of availability and variety of sources of the vaccine is dramatically increasing. In another month, or more likely two, the issue of who has a right to get it first will not be such an intense issue. As you and others point out the total amount of vaccine directed to this professional athletic population is a small slice of the overall vaccine pie. Once the logistics of vaccinating  people on a widescale is in place then the issue of who should be prioritized becomes less of an issue because we will be at the general population stage. We are not far from that ramping up stage. So the right thing to do is to just wait a little longer when the priority ranking won't be an issue.  

Edited by JohnC

On 2/1/2021 at 10:54 PM, #freejame said:

We are -7 in goal differential if you take out the 6-1 game, with two goals coming from the shootout. 

We will be slogging it out with 3 other teams to be 5th in our little mini league this year.

The problem is only 1-4 make the playoffs, and I don't see any way in hell we break into that top 4 and stay there.

As Paul Hamilton mentioned the other day, all it will take is a single 3 or 4 game losing skid and the playoff fight will be over right there.

He's right.

5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Back on topic (sort of) how much training can the team do? 

Risto and Hall excepted, can the players still skate at all? If Jack's poor play is more being out of shape than a bum shoulder, this could set the team back even worse, instead of helping as some had hoped.

It looks like it.  Someone with a better knowledge of the COVID-19 protocols would have the contractual conditions.

My worry is that this team has very little ensemble chemistry.  They need to play at game speed consistently with fairly consistent combinations before that can happen -- plus practise time between games to hammer things out.  There are very few teams that it would hurt more than Buffalo because of the necessary roster turnover.

IMHO, if they have any dreams of making the playoffs, they need another goaltender pronto -- it is the one position where you can cover up problems anywhere else on the ice where you need time to make things work.

17 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

We will be slogging it out with 3 other teams to be 5th in our little mini league this year.

The problem is only 1-4 make the playoffs, and I don't see any way in hell we break into that top 4 and stay there.

As Paul Hamilton mentioned the other day, all it will take is a single 3 or 4 game losing skid and the playoff fight will be over right there.

He's right.

Unless something changes drastically there is no way they look like a top 4 team.  Boston, Philly, Caps are light years better that leaves one spot at 4.  We got out worked by 2 of the other 4 so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, That Aud Smell said:

I hear you.

The Skinner signing felt like a mistake to me at the time, although I clung to hope that he'd just stay pegged to Jack's line and make it work.

I can't see the Eichel long-term signing as a mistake. Well, maybe the long-term aspect of it was regrettable. It seems like more players in the league are now accepting shorter deals (?). Anyway. He is just a terrific player - a legitimate 1C. But it may be that he's been miscast here in Buffalo. It may be that he's not temperamentally suited to being the Captain, the face of the franchise, and so on.

He has not been miscast.  He knew from the start he was the face of the franchise and needs to be the Captain.  It is time for Jack to elevate his game, be a star player and make the people around him better.   Otherwise he could fall into the Pierre Turgeon category - great skills, great stats, but only a role player -  not a winner, not a leader, not a difference maker.   I doubt Jack wants that legacy.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He has not been miscast.  He knew from the start he was the face of the franchise and needs to be the Captain.  It is time for Jack to elevate his game, be a star player and make the people around him better.   Otherwise he could fall into the Pierre Turgeon category - great skills, great stats, but only a role player -  not a winner, not a leader, not a difference maker.   I doubt Jack wants that legacy.  

I don't think he cares about anything at this point

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You can know and accept all of that, and still be miscast, if you're just not cut out for it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.