Reasons not to panic

JoeSchmoe

In the "franchise low point" thread, there is a link to a "spittin' chicklets" podcast with Eichel as the guest.

In that podcast, Jack is asked what he thinks of Dahlin.  The meatheads running the podcast love to talk over their guests, unfortunately, and Jack was just going to tell an interesting story when he was cut off.

But his basic point was that he remembers the first time he saw Dahlin skate.  He said "I thought I had skills...this guy really has skills."  And he mentioned calling his father to tell him how amazed he was at the personal skill level of Dahlin just doing simple, skating drills out on the ice.  That type of thing.

He clarified that what he was talking about was just how *smooth* he is in everything he does.  He said "The SWEDES just move a certain smooth way" and so on.

He does complex things smoothly and makes them look easy was the basic thrust.

It's going to take Dahlin time to put it together, and he's nowhere near his ceiling now....but in theory we have a multiple Norris winner on the blue line, for down the road.

So if you want to get excited about something, think about that.

I genuinely believe Eichel could be gone before this team improves, and the cornerstone of the good team, when it arrives, will be Dahlin, not Jack.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

No not in the healthcare sense, but considering what things felt like when the initial lockdown happened when all the sports were shuttered.  In troubled times sports is an outlet, a positive distraction, a unifying element and honestly some semblance of normalcy in a world somewhat in chaos.  The pro sports industry is also a surprisingly important part of our economy.  Basically it's essential to our national well being.  

To also to put in a dosage perspective, your also only talking about 2000 to 2500 dosages across two countries and about 30 states and provinces for the NBA and NHL.  Not sure that's a big burden on the systems or producers given the economic and societal benefit.

I'm sure people will squawk, but they squawk about most everything now any way without knowing the facts or the consequences if they don't do it. 

I think that you are just in the vast minority with the amount of importance you place on sports/hockey as an essential mental outlet.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, Curt said:

I think that you are just in the vast minority with the amount of importance you place on sports/hockey as an essential mental outlet.

No way this is right, unless by minority, you mean less than 50% of the population.  I'm not sure there's a single thing more influential on the psyche, than sports in this country.

9 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

No way this is right, unless by minority, you mean less than 50% of the population.  I'm not sure there's a single thing more influential on the psyche, than sports in this country.

Disagree.  There are a lot of things that impact the psyche more than sports.  Also, yes, minority is less than 50%.  Vast minority is much less than that.

I wasn’t even talking about the country as a whole though.  Just on this board, the vast majority were disagreeing with the importance placed on getting NHL players vaccinated.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:05 PM, Curt said:

Disagree.  There are a lot of things that impact the psyche more than sports.  Also, yes, minority is less than 50%.  Vast minority is much less than that.

I wasn’t even talking about the country as a whole though.  Just on this board, the vast majority were disagreeing with the importance placed on getting NHL players vaccinated.

I agree with you.

If you are participating at this thread on a daily basis, you are probably into sports.  There are a lot more people out there, though, who don't even think about sports.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.