Sabres Acquire Center Eric Staal from Wild for Marcus Johansson

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We are going to need to add a defensive C if this is the configuration. Lazar I don't think would be enough to replace Larsson, Kahun has little experience at C, and if Cozens is on line 2, that line probably won't get defensive matchups. 

Lots of possibilities now though because of the Staal addition. 

I can see Zemgus taking the bulk of the C responsibilities in the defensive zone, plus killing penalties.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And Pegulas' love of all things Carolina re-manifests itself.  😉

Don't start...

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As said above, can't stand him.  But this is a very good move.

Agree.

Did Skinner ever play on his wing in Carolina?

My working thought is that, if they can add a legit top 6 wing, who is strong at both ends, and, big if, Cozens can play "3"C (offensive zone favoured, prob. fewest C mintues at ES), and that's a big if, we may be able to roll now with the Cs on the roster. Lazar enough as the other C, owing to our top 2 lines being so strong. 

If our top 6 ends up populated by the guys pretty much here already (maybe Cozens starts on RW), I think we'd need to add a defensive bottom 6C to help replace Larsson. 

- - - 

Staal is the biggest piece though. I'm pretty stunned. 

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I can see Zemgus taking the bulk of the C responsibilities in the defensive zone, plus killing penalties.

If we sign him. Your F lineup was still a tad weak, though improved. It would be the same as last year's group, minus Larsson, adding Staal. It's improved, but we need another guy realistically. 

As always through the context of wanting to be a playoff team. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess the thought is he won't be a great 2C, but for at least the first half the season (maybe the entire season), he'll be a 'good enough' 2c, one that should not be the reason the entire 2nd line is useless.

And, if Adams can still bring in, say, a Daneault or Cirelli, then should a top 2C get injured you've got a reasonable stopgap to carry on.  Prior to this move, if they make the other, they still are hosed via AN injury.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

And, if Adams can still bring in sa6 a Daneault or Cirelli, then should a top 2C get injured you've got a reasonable stopgap to carry on.  Prior to this move, if they make the other, they still are hosed via AN injury.

I can't even wrap my mind around them adding someone even better, in addition. 

I was legit beginning to think adding Cs just didn't happen around here anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That can't be our 2C right? Dude is 36

Dude!  He is 36 but he is good.  Consistently 2C level good over the past few years.

His contract is one year at 3.5M.  He was acquired for Johansson, one year at 4.5M.  He is better than Johansson and cheaper.

Regardless of if Buffalo acquires a better/younger C this offseason, this trade looks like a big fat W for the Sabres.  Can you take no joy in a good thing?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Eric Stall

• Cheaper
  • Bigger
  • Veteran
  • Former "C"
  • Stanley Cup Champion

Cozens is a young 6'3 center.  Staal is 6'4.  I could see similarities in their games and I bet it doesn't hurt to bring him in to help mentor the young kid.

I love this move.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Dude!  He is 36 but he is good.  Consistently 2C level good over the past few years.

His contract is one year at 3.5M.  He was acquired for Johansson, one year at 4.5M.  He is better than Johansson and cheaper.

Regardless of if Buffalo acquires a better/younger C this offseason, this trade looks like a big fat W for the Sabres.  Can you take no joy in a good thing?

Haven't made the playoffs in a decade lol show me more. Good move, sure. It's not making us a playoff team though. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.