OT: The New Religion Thread.

Eleven

Doing good things. Resisting the urge to fall victim to fear and subsequently sell out your fellow human being. Profit and money in your pocket is a temporary solution to an eternal query. What benefit is there in giving more than you can “afford” to give? What part does economics play in your vision of religion? What do the prophets have to say about profits? Seems like there should be a reckoning with regards to wealth dispersement to me but the usual disclaimer will apply.

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

Doing good things. Resisting the urge to fall victim to fear and subsequently sell out your fellow human being. Profit and money in your pocket is a temporary solution to an eternal query. What benefit is there in giving more than you can “afford” to give? What part does economics play in your vision of religion? What do the prophets have to say about profits? Seems like there should be a reckoning with regards to wealth dispersement to me but the usual disclaimer will apply.

If you're interested, I highly recommend reading Walter Rauschenbusch. Local guy to boot. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ogre said:

Rarely will we find a well-balanced man who can also reconcile such complex things as well as reconciling the difficult passages in Scripture. While Reformed Theology is not perfect by any means, I'm convinced that it best explains the Scriptures and humanity as a whole in the best possible order due to its highly systematic nature and technical outline. Some good authors that explain it best are Dr. Greg Bahnsen, Dr. K. Scott Oliphint, and Dr. Cornelius Van Til.

(I personally do not believe that "social justice" is the answer to cure society's ills, especially if we look at things in an Americentric context. I've talked with a lot of people from different parts of the world, and I come away from just about every one of these conversations with the impression that we don't have a clue just how good we have it here in America.)

Ramadan will be starting most likely at sunset on Thursday, if not, then Friday for sure.

If you recall part of my fast is of non-essential internet usage.

Under the circumstances (COVID and now the mass shooting today in NS and other stessers in my life too numerous to mention ... like still owning 2 homes and now even less ways to pay the bills of two ...) I have decided that I will not be fasting this Ramadan in any way.  Allah has described Himself as the most merciful and most gracious in the Qur'an.  I believe Him, so I know that he understands my choice here.  I will make up the fasting days (29, or 30) at an other time, or not, and I will be observing Ramadan in other ways ... I read the entire Qur'an each Ramadan, which I always look forward to and will do this Ramadan.

Sorry @shrader, I know you were counting down the minutes to my annual SabreSpace fast (insert winkie thingie here).  I need you guys and gals more than ever right now.  Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Ramadan will be starting most likely at sunset on Thursday, if not, then Friday for sure.

If you recall part of my fast is of non-essential internet usage.

Under the circumstances (COVID and now the mass shooting today in NS and other stessers in my life too numerous to mention ... like still owning 2 homes and now even less ways to pay the bills of two ...) I have decided that I will not be fasting this Ramadan in any way.  Allah has described Himself as the most merciful and most gracious in the Qur'an.  I believe Him, so I know that he understands my choice here.  I will make up the fasting days (29, or 30) at an other time, or not, and I will be observing Ramadan in other ways ... I read the entire Qur'an each Ramadan, which I always look forward to and will do this Ramadan.

Sorry @shrader, I know you were counting down the minutes to my annual SabreSpace fast (insert winkie thingie here).  I need you guys and gals more than ever right now.  Thanks. 

Glad you aren't taking a break this year.  Tried to do my normal Lenten break, but gave up on it.  Too mentally taxing in trying times like this.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Did you really have to go and drag me into this trainwreck of a thread?

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Glad you aren't taking a break this year.  Tried to do my normal Lenten break, but gave up on it.  Too mentally taxing in trying times like this.

We all gave up tons of stuff for lent this year.

• Like (+1) 2

I was raised Catholic.  Going into the science field did create a confliction in beliefs.  The ongoing problem with the Catholic church has affected me over the years as well, especially now that I have young children (yes I know it can happen anywhere).  I attend mass with the family for the big holy days.  I respect all religions and hope that everyone who has led a decent life gets to go to whatever their version of heaven is.  Personally, I would love to travel back in time or to the future or go anywhere in the universe I wanted to go to at any time.    

34 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I was raised Catholic.  Going into the science field did create a confliction in beliefs.  The ongoing problem with the Catholic church has affected me over the years as well, especially now that I have young children (yes I know it can happen anywhere).  I attend mass with the family for the big holy days.  I respect all religions and hope that everyone who has led a decent life gets to go to whatever their version of heaven is.  Personally, I would love to travel back in time or to the future or go anywhere in the universe I wanted to go to at any time.    

That would be awesome. I personally can't conceive of a reality in which we maintain any type of consciousness after death that is connected to our human sensibilities. While it could be perceived as a sad reality, I just look at the other side: every moment of our life is so very, very precious.

It's easy for me to say this, though; I feel I have been lucky and dealt a good hand in life. I'm very curious how those who've suffered a great deal would perceive a reality in which the end of this life is, indeed, "the end" - and if suffering/quality of life affects this belief.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

That would be awesome. I personally can't conceive of a reality in which we maintain any type of consciousness after death that is connected to our human sensibilities. While it could be perceived as a sad reality, I just look at the other side: every moment of our life is so very, very precious.

It's easy for me to say this, though; I feel I have been lucky and dealt a good hand in life. I'm very curious how those who've suffered a great deal would perceive a reality in which the end of this life is, indeed, "the end" - and if suffering/quality of life affects this belief.

Don't know, but there really is evil in the world.

And it is found in places right in front of our eyes.  Simple things like a goo gle search of TV television and film leads to images of young (6-8 years old) girls in bikinis when the images button is clicked.  (No idea what shows up below the top 2 lines of images & don't want to find out.)   Note: am NOT suggesting anybody do that, actually am recommending against it.  Seeing stuff like that is BEYOND infuriating.  Just bringing it up to point out that some a-hole (or a-holes) set up the algorithm at the company that used to have "don't be evil" as a corporate motto to do something that can only be construed as evil.  If their algorithms bring up stuff like that, what other #### are they pulling?

Moderators: please feel free to edit this however you'd like or remove it.  Am absolutely not advocating searching for images of kids.  Just pointing out this stuff really does exist.  And it is beyond frustrating that people that build this infrastructure can use the same tools that people have come to trust every single day to do so many tasks in their daily lives to allow their evil to lurk right under our noses.  And figured a religion thread (as religion is where concepts of good and evil get discussed) was the place to discuss not just concepts of evil but actual examples of it.

And it isn't just the search engine that does stuff like this.  Gates's company just pulled an on-line ad that was 1st available on Good Friday featuring a satanic priestess because of protests against it.  These are 2 of the most powerful tech companies in the world being used by people within them to literally promote evil.  (And, yes, she now calls herself a 'performance artist'.  She's a satanist and wasn't afraid to call herself that until recently.)

/end of Dwight-like rant

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Don't know, but there really is evil in the world.

And it is found in places right in front of our eyes.  Simple things like a goo gle search of TV television and film leads to images of young (6-8 years old) girls in bikinis when the images button is clicked.  (No idea what shows up below the top 2 lines of images & don't want to find out.)   Note: am NOT suggesting anybody do that, actually am recommending against it.  Seeing stuff like that is BEYOND infuriating.  Just bringing it up to point out that some a-hole (or a-holes) set up the algorithm at the company that used to have "don't be evil" as a corporate motto to do something that can only be construed as evil.  If their algorithms bring up stuff like that, what other #### are they pulling?

Moderators: please feel free to edit this however you'd like or remove it.  Am absolutely not advocating searching for images of kids.  Just pointing out this stuff really does exist.  And it is beyond frustrating that people that build this infrastructure can use the same tools that people have come to trust every single day to do so many tasks in their daily lives to allow their evil to lurk right under our noses.  And figured a religion thread (as religion is where concepts of good and evil get discussed) was the place to discuss not just concepts of evil but actual examples of it.

And it isn't just the search engine that does stuff like this.  Gates's company just pulled an on-line ad that was 1st available on Good Friday featuring a satanic priestess because of protests against it.  These are 2 of the most powerful tech companies in the world being used by people within them to literally promote evil.  (And, yes, she now calls herself a 'performance artist'.  She's a satanist and wasn't afraid to call herself that until recently.)

/end of Dwight-like rant

Depending on theology, the problem of evil can be extremely difficult to explain.

As for the gal being a self-proclaimed Satanist, I am not the least bit threatened by it. Even the whole 666 thing doesn't faze me. It's all about how the Scriptures are processed systematically, and having a knowledge of the history behind what was written.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Blind faith is such a tough concept to grasp..... I've been to churches/temples/monestaries etc of all walks of faith. I have a respect for almost all of them (extremists of each faith being the ones I can't respect) 

Being a man of "science" makes it even more challenging, I know of many non believers that have converted to one specific religion. 

Has anyone here been a devout follower of one sect and then made a large change into another religion completely? 

On 4/11/2020 at 1:20 PM, Taro T said:

To me, there is plenty of room in one's life for both science and religion (or spirituality for those that are opposed to "religion.")  Though in large degree they are opposites, they aren't (at least shouldn't be) adversarial - they're complimentary.

Those that only know 1 half of that are missing out IMHO.

Science answers the how, the what, the when, and the where, but only superficially ever gets to the why.  Religion (faith, spirituality, however you name it) gets to the why.  Though it seems to give each of us a different answer to that. And as our understanding of the world improves our understanding of that why evolves.  (Kind of like how what we're taught about biology in second grade is different than that in high school is different than that at higher levels.)  As we grow, so does our ability to understand.  Spiritually, pretty much still that 2nd grader, though have tried to advance.  Maybe someday.  (Too friggin' tired to do much more than babble incoherently about this.  Back when we were younger; still babbled about topics like this but it seemed so much more coherent.  Probably was.)

And, for those who are of a Christian faith - wishing you a blessed Holy Saturday.  Those who aren't - have a good Saturday nonetheless.

?

On 4/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, Eleven said:

Adapted?!

This is why I'm happy that my religion embraces, rather than rejects, science.  I actually learned about evolution in religion class before I learned about it in biology class.

Here's a link for all of you. In case anyone accuses the website of being anti-science, nothing could be further from the truth. They have bonafide Ph.D's from reputable universities on staff. https://answersingenesis.org/what-is-science/do-creationists-reject-science/

Today is Shaban 30.

This means there can be no doubt when Ramadan starts.  It will be today at sunset.  There is a very good chance that I will be able to see the new cresent moon that will mark the official beginning of Ramadan.  The first fasting day will start tomorrow at dawn ... 4:45 AM ... and will end at sunset ... 8:12 PM.

I have already said that I will be delaying my fasting due to many reasons and hope to make up the fasting days in the coming year, which includes my non-essential Internet fast.  So, you all will have to try to make it through this coming month WITH ME, rather than without, as in past Ramadans ... ha!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my typing = yikes ... spelling to ...
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Today is Shaban 30.

This means there can be no doubt when Ramadan starts.  It will be today at sunset.  There is a very good chance that I will be able to see the new cresent moon that will mark the official beginning of Ramadan.  The first fasting day will start tomorrow at dawn ... 4:45 AM ... and will end at sunset ... 8:12 PM.

I have already said that I will be delaying my fasting due to many reasons and hope to make up the fasting days in the coming year, which includes my non-essential Internet fast.  So, you all will have to try to make it through this coming month WITH ME, rather than without, as in past Ramadans ... ha!!

Depending on which country you're in, either the imams and clerics have complied or they have ordered the doors to remain open. The AP had a write-up about how the Muslim world has been coping with the virus - especially with Ramadan taking place.

6 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Depending on which country you're in, either the imams and clerics have complied or they have ordered the doors to remain open. The AP had a write-up about how the Muslim world has been coping with the virus - especially with Ramadan taking place.

I do not know any Mosque that is open to public worship.  Like churches, the doors are unlocked for people to come in out of the cold and rain / snow.

Peace.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I do not know any Mosque that is open to public worship.  Like churches, the doors are unlocked for people to come in out of the cold and rain / snow.

Peace.

Probably not in North America, Europe, and the Middle East. However, they did open up in Pakistan. https://apnews.com/d874a519ddcc6a081407bf792e0e5b35

Also, I'm curious about what you think about the Taliban. Given your temperament and demeanor on here, I think it's safe to assume that you do not agree with their approach to Islam. (Not trying to start a fight. Seems to me that most Afghans have no respect for them. So, I'm sorry in advance if it's a touchy subject.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.