COVID-19

Indabuff

7 hours ago, darksabre said:

America's addiction to the myth of rugged individualism will eventually be its downfall. 

Interesting, considering that same rugged individualism is what built the country and is its foundation.

All things change, and America hasn't exactly been the poster child nation in as far as its humanity, but, that rugged individualism was and still is the back bone of the guards of the gate that stands between total global oppression and some form of self determination.

For every action there is a reaction, so they say. Global expansion was happening long before the Europeans sailed west on the ocean blue, human behavior. America's ability to last, and improve while doing so, rests with each individual imo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I find this shocking.

In British Columbia, we didn’t start vaccinating the general population (under 70 and not high-risk, or working in front-line care) until April.

We have now vaccinated 55 percent of our eligible population with a first dose, although only about 5% have 2 doses (because we have priorized 1st doses and stretched the time between shots to the limit.)

People have been lining up to get them as fast as they are being made available.

That 60 per cent of your population has yet to get a first shot despite little to no waiting times disturbs my faith in humanity.

You are talking about a population of 5mil versus a population of 29million. 

I believe NY is over the 50% threshold for at least 1 vaccine dose. I would expect with mask changes and sporting event stuff that it will creep up to around 60ish percent and then hover around there. 

I love some ppl though, "we won't be controlled by fear and wear masks or get vaccinated ... but I have a right to be afraid of everyone on the street attacking me so I need to carry a gun." 

Get vaccinated and we can all freaking move pass this crap. As someone else mentioned rugged individualism, isn't the be all end all when you cuz irreparable harm to others. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I believe NY is over the 50% threshold for at least 1 vaccine dose. I would expect with mask changes and sporting event stuff that it will creep up to around 60ish percent and then hover around there. 

I love some ppl though, "we won't be controlled by fear and wear masks or get vaccinated ... but I have a right to be afraid of everyone on the street attacking me so I need to carry a gun." 

Get vaccinated and we can all freaking move pass this crap. As someone else mentioned rugged individualism, isn't the be all end all when you cuz irreparable harm to others. 

lol this is literally my co-worker.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure, but with enough corresponding infrastructure and vaccine supply that it should scale.

The point is more is more about willingness to vaccinate, or lack thereof.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sure, but with enough corresponding infrastructure and vaccine supply that it should scale.

The point is more is more about willingness to vaccinate, or lack thereof.

You would think that, but it doesn't. 

That said, I would guess there a willingness issue with Texas. 

I would really like it if they would separate the positive tests by people vax and not vax. If its 10 to 1 people might change their minds. 

Probably not. This will drag on for the next 5 or 10 years or be apart of our lives forever.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

I would really like it if they would separate the positive tests by people vax and not vax. If its 10 to 1 people might change their minds. 

Probably not. This will drag on for the next 5 or 10 years or be apart of our lives forever.

I think it was maybe the mayo clinic or Cleveland hospital something like that... but they said that 99.7% of the hospitalized Covid patients in a 3 week span were unvaccinated. I wish I could find the source to verify but I heard it in passing. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think it was maybe the mayo clinic or Cleveland hospital something like that... but they said that 99.7% of the hospitalized Covid patients in a 3 week span were unvaccinated. I wish I could find the source to verify but I heard it in passing. 

I posted that stat.  Found it in an article in my Apple news feed last week.

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Finally got my date for first dose (27th) can't actually wait for this. Expecting horrible reaction. Seems to be if you've had covid then got the vax side effects are rubbish. (Not scientifically verified!). 

@Weave @LGR4GM is this the article?

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2021/05/12/most-covid-19-infections-and-hospitalizations-are-in-unvaccinated/ 

Edited by steveoath

2 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Finally got my date for first dose (27th) can't actually wait for this. Expecting horrible reaction. Seems to be if you've had covid then got the vax side effects are rubbish. (Not scientifically verified!). 

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2021/05/12/most-covid-19-infections-and-hospitalizations-are-in-unvaccinated/ 

DRINK LOTS OF WATER.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Not the exact article I read but the same stats were presented bu the same source (Cleveland Clinic).

So, if NY drops the mask mandate tomorrow it will be just in time for my fully vaccinated date of Thursday.

That's very nice of the gov'na.

I guess at my son's baseball game last night (varsity) very few people were wearing masks despite it being school grounds.  Interesting because at the game last Friday most people were wearing a mask.  One little hint about NY dropping the mask mandate and people just go right ahead and decide for themselves.

I'll admit though, I look forward, quite a bit in fact, to not wearing a mask. Things are pretty stressful for me at work (just work insanity) and having a little return to normalcy would be appreciated.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LTS said:

So, if NY drops the mask mandate tomorrow it will be just in time for my fully vaccinated date of Thursday.

That's very nice of the gov'na.

I guess at my son's baseball game last night (varsity) very few people were wearing masks despite it being school grounds.  Interesting because at the game last Friday most people were wearing a mask.  One little hint about NY dropping the mask mandate and people just go right ahead and decide for themselves.

I'll admit though, I look forward, quite a bit in fact, to not wearing a mask. Things are pretty stressful for me at work (just work insanity) and having a little return to normalcy would be appreciated.

It was nice walking around Publix without a mask today. Probably about 30% were without masks. That kind of surprised me, I didn’t think anyone would be. Not a person wore one all season at little league. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

My Last Rotation through St Joseph’s in April, which officially ceased Covid Operations as of Today, all My Patients, with the exception of one, were not vaccinated or partially vaccinated. 

The One who was fully vaccinated was 93 from a Nursing Home who was completely without symptoms and asked me everyday Why the Hell Am I here? Their Nursing Home Policy was any positive patient had to be sent out. 

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

I find this kind of stuff fascinating 

Curious if there is an average age correlation.  Alot of the zipcodes in the far right column are older neighborhoods.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Curious if there is an average age correlation.  Alot of the zipcodes in the far right column are older neighborhoods.

It seems to me that it's more about access to the vaccine and income. Most of the zip codes that have lower rates are poorer and underserved by things like pharmacies. They also might have less access to things like internet and computers necessary to book a lot of the earlier vaccine appointments. Now that you can just walk in to a lot of places and get one the rates should start catching up, but it seems pretty obvious to me what the key factor is.

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

DRINK LOTS OF WATER.

And don't take Tylenol or Advil before.  After, wait it out as long as possible but if you need something, go with Tylenol, as Advil suppresses the desired immune system reaction.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Also hop up and down on your left foot while eating green bananas. The banana agsorbs the vaccine molecules and the hopping disperses them.

I have heard that too. Also dont eat mangos, the molecules in mangos kill the vaccine bacteria cellulars, causing an atom switch. That is bad news for everyone involved 

On a more serious note. i read online nj is the only state left that is requiring masks. Meh

Edited by Mike Honcho

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

It seems to me that it's more about access to the vaccine and income. Most of the zip codes that have lower rates are poorer and underserved by things like pharmacies. They also might have less access to things like internet and computers necessary to book a lot of the earlier vaccine appointments. Now that you can just walk in to a lot of places and get one the rates should start catching up, but it seems pretty obvious to me what the key factor is.

That's usually the way public health initiatives of this size work. The wealthy have fewer barriers to overcome (time, transportation, opportunity, etc.) and so they often can get vaccinated earlier and it isn't until poorer communities are inundated with vaccines that they start creeping up as time and opportunity start to even out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Also hop up and down on your left foot while eating green bananas. The banana agsorbs the vaccine molecules and the hopping disperses them.

That's not true at all.  The hopping activates the tracking chip.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's usually the way public health initiatives of this size work. The wealthy have fewer barriers to overcome (time, transportation, opportunity, etc.) and so they often can get vaccinated earlier and it isn't until poorer communities are inundated with vaccines that they start creeping up as time and opportunity start to even out. 

Also who the poor are is at play. But I am guessing that will get tagged political if we talk about that

• Like (+1) 2