COVID-19

Indabuff

13 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

its pretty embarrassing that its coming to this

Whatever, IMO. I'm all for anything that gets us to ~70% vaccinated, up to and including $100 Walmart gift cards.

21 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

what???!!?!!?!?! do people really think there is a microchip in the vaccine?

Jordan Poyer's wife among them, based on her social media content.

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Whatever, IMO. I'm all for anything that gets us to ~70% vaccinated, up to and including $100 Walmart gift cards.

In order to get to that 70% do you think parents and grandparents should have their perfectly healthy teenagers vaccinated? Those teenagers are at extremely low risk for Covid complications. Looks like low risk for vaccine complications as well but who is to tell this demographic to ignore the risk?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/05/24/covid-vaccine-heart-problems-teens-young-adults-what-we-know/5241271001/

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Jordan Poyer's wife among them, based on her social media content.

I'd like to hit 75-80 but yes, whatever incentive ppl need. 

Poyer's wife... I made sure to unfollow or block all of her stuff. 

3 minutes ago, bg17 said:

In order to get to that 70% do you think parents and grandparents should have their perfectly healthy teenagers vaccinated? Those teenagers are at extremely low risk for Covid complications. Looks like low risk for vaccine complications as well but who is to tell this demographic to ignore the risk?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/05/24/covid-vaccine-heart-problems-teens-young-adults-what-we-know/5241271001/

Yes they should get vaccinated because they are still a vector for mutation and spread. 

Marco Rossi, an extremely healthy athlete, got covid and ended up with inflamed heart muscles and could have died so... that or the crazy small risk of whatever this USA today article is trying to cobble together. 

The vaccine safety group says the “relatively few” reports of myocarditis “appear to be mild” and are below the expected baseline rates. 

Edited by LGR4GM
grammar

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes they should get vaccinated because they are still a vector for mutation and spread. 

Marco Rossi, an extremely healthy athlete, got covid and ended up with inflamed heart muscles and could have died so... that or the crazy small risk of whatever this USA today article is trying to cobble together. 

It’s not so much something USA today is trying to cobble together. It’s something the CDC is investigating. Parents of teens have every right to question if the vaccine is right for their kids.

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I can see the other side of the argument too.

There is no other side.  As many people as possible need to be vaccinated to protect those who the vaccine is not an answer (think of organ recipients on immunosuppressant drugs).

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I wonder if they will have a legal leg to stand on.

Absolutely.

Businesses can legally ask if patrons have been vaccinated. HIPAA does not apply.

Edited by Doohickie

Just now, Doohickie said:

There is no other side.  As many people as possible need to be vaccinated to protect those who the vaccine is not an answer (think of organ recipients on immunosuppressant drugs).

That’s not what I was referring to. ie: other side. Nevermind. 👍🏼

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Or do private businesses have all the right to ask AND get answered all of their questions.

My workplace does not require a person to answer whether they are vaxed.  It's voluntary.  But unless an employee attests to being vaxed they need to wear a mask at work.

58 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

what???!!?!!?!?! do people really think there is a microchip in the vaccine?  Are these the same people that think the earth is flat, that the sun revolves around the earth?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-microchip-fit-why-decided-100000123.html

The shocking thing isn't that some people believe this stuff.  The shocking part is how many of them there are out there.

19 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Yes.  Teenagers may be at lower risk for severe illness but they can still spread the virus.  That's the whole point of heard immunity:  You vax everyone you can to protect people who either can't be vaxed or for whom the vax is not effective.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Curt said:

I have seasonal allergies that flare up pretty bad at times.  I’ve had days the past couple weeks that I’ve been pretty sneezy, coughy, and occasionally a little snorty even though I’ve not been sick.

This year has been BRUTAL for me.  I've gotten some sideways looks, too, at which point I just say "allergies," and people seem to nod in understanding.

14 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

its pretty embarrassing that its coming to this

It's a win-win-win.  People who haven't had the opportunity to get the vaccine have a pop-up site to go to, the business gets some publicity and some customers who stay for more than one, and people get a free beverage.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Volunteering other people’s healthy teenagers to be exposed to a small risk of vaccine-related myocarditis seems like such an easy decision to make. Who knew?

Better than exposing people's healthy teenagers to a small risk of COVID related myocarditis while at the same time they continue to spread the virus. Considering we know that COVID causes myocarditis in some healthy young ppl versus "might maybe could" with the vaccine. 

Also the USA Today piece does not say there is "vaccine-related" myocarditis. Any adverse event that occurs within a set timeframe after vaccination will be investigated and that's all they are doing. 

11 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Volunteering other people’s healthy teenagers to be exposed to a small risk of vaccine-related myocarditis seems like such an easy decision to make. Who knew?

Almost as easy a decision as passing that risk on to the 5% that aren’t protected by the vaccine. Who knew? 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, bg17 said:

It’s not so much something USA today is trying to cobble together. It’s something the CDC is investigating. Parents of teens have every right to question if the vaccine is right for their kids.

Didn't say anything about questioning it, I am saying if you question the vaccine but accept the risks of getting covid that doesn't make your decision smart. The parent would rather the kid get covid because they can say "oh I am not responsible for that, it's just random chance" versus giving a kid the vaccine and being responsible for the EXTREMELY rare adverse event. It is bad risk management based on being responsible versus being able to say the parent isn't.

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This year has been BRUTAL for me.  I've gotten some sideways looks, too, at which point I just say "allergies," and people seem to nod in understanding.

Agree 100%. It's been incredible, really. I think the abnormally dry conditions are playing a role. There is just constantly a film of pollen on my car/van.

13 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Who's volunteering other people's kids?

It's the right thing to do. Hopefully a super majority of people do it. 

I'm guessing and hoping that a COVID-19 vaccination will be a requirement to go back to school -- maybe not by September 2021, but as soon as full (?) FDA approval is granted.

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agree 100%. It's been incredible, really. I think the abnormally dry conditions are playing a role. There is just constantly a film of pollen on my car/van.

Who's volunteering other people's kids?

It's the right thing to do. Hopefully a super majority of people do it. 

I'm guessing and hoping that a COVID-19 vaccination will be a requirement to go back to school -- maybe not by September 2021, but as soon as full (?) FDA approval is granted.

Probably 2022 then. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

right. the question, i think, is whether a vaccination will be required in order to return.

Right. Schools are opening in September, the question is will Covid19 Vaccinations be mandatory to return. My guess would be no because I think FDA approval will still be emergency based. 

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The guv wants schools open this coming September.

Quick note, schools are open now and have taught during the pandemic. In September most schools are planning for in person teaching. The question is will students be required to be vaccinated to attend in person. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quick note, schools are open now and have taught during the pandemic. In September most schools are planning for in person teaching. The question is will students be required to be vaccinated to attend in person. 

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

right. the question, i think, is whether a vaccination will be required in order to return.

Not all of them are open now...

Also, NY requires MMR and TB vaccines for in-person attendance, right?  This should be no different.

Edited by Eleven