COVID-19

Indabuff

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  My brother ended up in ICU in NJ but was never tested for Covid at any time during his stay in the hospital.  They just assumed he had it and went forward from there.  Now that he is home and healthy he can't donate blood to others who need because he has no positive test on file.  He obviously can go get a test now, but what the hospital did in NJ is unacceptable.

One further note about state vs state.  My father is in assisted living here in GA.  Unlike NY and NJ our Governor forbid nursing homes and assisted living facilities from taking back residents and staff who had Covid.  In NY and NJ the Governors required the opposite.  Now thousands have died in the NY and NJ facilities.   While we have had some deaths here, we have seen nothing even close to the infection rate or death as seen in NY and NJ facilities.  In fact, my Dad's facility has had zero cases so far in residents or staff.  Maybe Cuomo is criticizing the Fla Governor to avoid responsibility for his deadly actions in NY 

The more I read this post, the more I'm calling BS. It wasn't returning Covid patients back to these homes that caused all these deaths. And I really have a hard time believing that your brother never got tested. Maybe not initially, if it happened at the peak, but he was tested, that is, if he was actually in an ICU in NJ..

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

I’m embarrassed that my country can’t contain this like all of the other first world countries could.

Which begs the question: Are we indeed still a first world country?  If so, it feels like we are at best somewhat uncomfortable with this status.  We have been trending downwards in this department for awhile now.  And this did not begin in 2016...

17 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The more I read this post, the more I'm calling BS. It wasn't returning Covid patients back to these homes that caused all these deaths. And I really have a hard time believing that your brother never got tested. Maybe not initially, if it happened at the peak, but he was tested, that is, if he was actually in an ICU in NJ..

Actually this is correct information.  They took a lung x-ray said he had it and he was never tested.  Returning these patients back to the homes did spread the infection throughout the homes. Many simply didn’t have the necessary equipment to protect the staff or other patients.  Estimate are that 40% plus of deaths from COVID have occurred in Nursing Homes.  https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/cuomo-reverses-nursing-home-directive-to-take-covid-19-patients-requires-more-staff-testing/2410533/  Here is the story where he reversed the order requiring the return.  The NYT ran a story about the requirement back in April and the WSJ ran a story on May 14th chronicling the death toll.  Why reverse the order if it wasn’t part of the problem? 

This is akin to sending a kid to school with he flu.  Within days the flu spreads throughout the school.  It’s only common sense that sending someone with an active COVID infection back to a facility with vulnerable resident was bound to lead to deaths.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually this is correct information.  They took a lung x-ray said he had it and he was never tested.  Actually returning these patients back to the homes did spread the infection throughout the homes. Many simply didn’t have the necessary equipment to protect the staff or other patients. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/cuomo-reverses-nursing-home-directive-to-take-covid-19-patients-requires-more-staff-testing/2410533/  Here is the story where he reversed the order requiring the return.  The NYT ran a story about the requirement back in April and the WSJ ran a story on May 14th chronicling the death toll.  Why reverse the order if it wasn’t part of the problem.

Why reverse the order?... because any loss of life is unacceptable, but to say that that was the reason there were so many deaths compared to GA is disingenuos.

And you still haven't answered what hospital in NJ didn't test your brother.

20 hours ago, Eleven said:

Question for our doctors / nurses / etc on here:  If someone is admitted to a hospital, has blood work done, etc., is that person automatically tested for COVID?

Catholic Health System is testing all patients who are being admitted from the ER, regardless of presenting systems or diagnoses. All WNY Health Systems are testing prior to any procedures. 

19 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Kaleida hospital here tests anyone in ER and anyone being admitted. I'm guessing that's a Kaleida wide policy.

Buffalo General is not testing all admitted patients. They are tested if they have symptoms, or require Rehabilitation or Skilled Nursing. 

The use of ventilators has dropped, as more research and understanding of Covid increases. Pts are now being maintained on High Flow Oxygen or Bipap and this has decreased the need for inbutations. 

Having patients prone while in bed is of great benefit. 

Steroids were initially contraindicated based on the Data coming out from China, however current research shows that decadron is a very good first line agent. 

In WNY, they have actually converted multiple nursing homes into Covid Only, which has facilitated in discharging many patients.

Buffalo General is down to two floors for Covid Patients from seven units six weeks ago.  St Joes has 10 floor patients, most which are waiting negative testing to be returned to their existing living situation and approximately 4 ICU patients. This is down from over one hundred total patients.

NYS has done a very good job flattening the  curve.

That being said there has been a failure of leadership at the State and Federal Level. Cuomo should have locked down NYC sooner and prevented the nursing home transfers until a better plan was in place. Although some of these outbreaks were caused by infected employees transmitting the disease.

The Federal Government should have taken the lead and mandated that All States follow an Uniform Set of Guidelines and have bench marks for lockdowns and re-opening. It’s pretty embarrassing that the number of cases is increasing at the rate it is in the US particularly in Arizona, Florida and Texas.  ICUs normally operate at 60-70% Capacity with increasing demand in flu season.  Seeing Arizona and the City of Houston approaching full ICU Capacity is concerning.  

In areas with mandated mask wearing new cases are down, perhaps if this was universally mandated across the country, the rate of transmission would be dramatically decreased and a nationwide return to normalcy would occur quicker. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why reverse the order?... because any loss of life is unacceptable, but to say that that was the reason there were so many deaths compared to GA is disingenuos.

And you still haven't answered what hospital in NJ didn't test your brother.

No idea.  He lives in Hillsborough and he was never tested according to him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No idea.  He lives in Hillsborough and he was never tested according to him.

Just seems fishy to me. If he went in for a colonoscopy, sure, I could see him not being tested (that reminds me, I have to schedule my colonoscopy.) But if was admitted into an ICU for having covid symptoms, I find it unbelievable that he was never tested. Maybe he just didn't know.

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Just seems fishy to me. If he went in for a colonoscopy, sure, I could see him not being tested (that reminds me, I have to schedule my colonoscopy.) But if was admitted into an ICU for having covid symptoms, I find it unbelievable that he was never tested. Maybe he just didn't know.

He wasn’t.  I didn’t believe him either at first, but I’ve seen the medical records.  My guess is they felt they didn’t need to test him because of his x-ray and blood oxygenation.  When he entered ICU his level was 50 from the normal 95-100. 

Since his experience I’ve advised all my clients over 50 to purchase a home oxygenation meter.  My understanding from a buddy who is an emergency room anesthesiologist in Chicago is that the virus restricts blood flow in the heart, lungs and brain.  They are treating with Coumadin to avoid what happened to my brother and others early in the pandemic.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He wasn’t.  I didn’t believe him either at first, but I’ve seen the medical records.  My guess is they felt they didn’t need to test him because of his x-ray and blood oxygenation.  When he entered ICU his level was 50 from the normal 95-100

Since his experience I’ve advised all my clients over 50 to purchase a home oxygenation meter.  My understanding from a buddy who is an emergency room anesthesiologist in Chicago is that the virus restricts blood flow in the heart, lungs and brain.  They are treating with Coumadin to avoid what happened to my brother and others early in the pandemic.

If this was true, which I have my doubts, there is no way they wouldn’t have tested him.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder why these posts with Republican talking points about Democratic governors haven't been moved. This thread is about the virus not the government's response to the virus.

These are not “republican talking points about Democratic governors “ this is exactly what transpired unfortunately. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder why these posts with Republican talking points about Democratic governors haven't been moved. This thread is about the virus not the government's response to the virus.

4 minutes ago, freester said:

These are not “republican talking points about Democratic governors “ this is exactly what transpired unfortunately. 

Meh. It’s really easy to criticize decisions made to a never before seen pandemic. Cuomo gives a good press conference, but his decisions might not have been the best. I have my doubts that someone else could have done better.

Every other governor has the luxury of making their decisions after him.

6 minutes ago, freester said:

The health secretary of PA disagrees. The sensational conclusion some have reached should instead be debated as something like, "What role, if any, did returning residents to nursing homes play in nursing home deaths?" Do we know?

Anyway, this is not the thread for it. I wish it was, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Meh. It’s really easy to criticize decisions made to a never before seen pandemic. Cuomo gives a good press conference, but his decisions might not have been the best. I have my doubts that someone else could have done better.

Every other governor has the luxury of making their decisions after him.

What are the odds that the folks lambasting Cuomo for a bad decision in retrospect also feel about Covid that  “its most old folks dying anyway” and conveniently leave that part out?

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

What are the odds that the folks lambasting Cuomo for a bad decision in retrospect also feel about Covid that  “its most old folks dying anyway” and conveniently leave that part out?

Based on My Facebook Feed quite high. 

17 hours ago, SwampD said:

If GA's brother was sick back in mid-March it could be very possible he didn't get tested.  If it was more recent, yeah, that would seem strange that he wasn't tested.

Glad he's doing better.

• Like (+1) 1

https://apple.news/AL66K9GuUS8uMYj_98E9d9w

Texas Medical Center hospitals have stopped reporting key metrics showing the stress rising numbers of COVID-19 patients are placing on their facilities, undermining data that policy makers and the public have relied upon during the pandemic to gauge the spread of the coronavirus.

The change came one day after the hospitals reported their base intensive care capacity had hit 100 percent for the first time during the pandemic, with projections showing the institutions — which together comprise the world’s largest medical complex — were on pace to exceed their “unsustainable surge capacity” by July 6.

It also followed discussions between Gov. Greg Abbott and hospital executives in which the governor expressed displeasure with negative headlines about ICU capacity, sources familiar with the talks said.

• Sad 1

Here's my take on the masks, from someone who has personally cultured enough flu virus in the lab to potentially kill hundreds of thousands of people in my career . Would they help if everyone wore one in public? Yes, somewhat. However, even if you somehow achieved 100% compliance, you'd still have well over half of people wearing them improperly which cancels out whatever marginal benefit you get from mask usage.  I think you saw the shift in message from the CDC on mask usage because when more people wear them,  its a good reminder to maintain social distancing. Social distancing >>> mask wearing in terms of preventing spread.

13 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

Here's my take on the masks, from someone who has personally cultured enough flu virus in the lab to potentially kill hundreds of thousands of people in my career . Would they help if everyone wore one in public? Yes, somewhat. However, even if you somehow achieved 100% compliance, you'd still have well over half of people wearing them improperly which cancels out whatever marginal benefit you get from mask usage.  I think you saw the shift in message from the CDC on mask usage because when more people wear them,  its a good reminder to maintain social distancing. Social distancing >>> mask wearing in terms of preventing spread.

I have seen many people who have done a cough, sneeze, talk, breathe hard experiment with and without masks. The culture of the plates and show the difference. Is that a faulty experiment?

because whenever they do it the difference between the mask plate and without the mask Clay is like night and day.

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

I have seen many people who have done a cough, sneeze, talk, breathe hard experiment with and without masks. The culture of the plates and show the difference. Is that a faulty experiment?

because whenever they do it the difference between the mask plate and without the mask Clay is like night and day.

I'd have to see the experiments, but if they're using culture plates then they are looking at bacteria since virus won't grow on solid media. Masks probably do much better with bacteria because they are larger and the mask will filter them much better than virus. Don't get me wrong,  wearing masks properly will help, but if I'm going to encounter someone in public who is covid positive I'd rather encounter a maskless covid positive person at >=6 ft than a masked one at 3 feet, all other things being equal.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:00 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

As a “Christian,” it only took me about 5 minutes to see where he was going with this. 

I’m sure people thought World War 1 was the end times, as well as the pandemic of 1919 and ensuing depression, World War 2, the Cold War and impending nuclear annihilation, etc etc. It’s always possibly the end times. 

As he quoted from Scripture himself - “I will come like a thief in the night.” Nobody knows. To say you know is contradicting the Word itself. 

I could only take a minute of the dude.  "...the end of what the Bible calls the Church Age."  The Bible doesn't actually say that.