COVID-19

Indabuff

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seriously, as a Canadian, explain to me how you Americans can politicize something so simple and basic as wearing a mask into this symbol of freedom and choice?  It simply boggles my mind. Do you think surgeons put them on for fun?

How are you simply getting it so damn wrong. 

As an American it boggles my mind as well.  But I feel like this has been decades in coming, and isn't a recent change.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seriously, as a Canadian, explain to me how you Americans can politicize something so simple and basic as wearing a mask into this symbol of freedom and choice?  It simply boggles my mind. Do you think surgeons put them on for fun?

Jon Stewart had the quote of the pandemic appearing on Trevor Noah's show. Anyone who is philosophically opposed to masks should tell his or her surgeon to take off the mask — and "unwash your hands." Of course he said it funnier than that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nearly every aspect of this whole stinking pandemic has been politicized,  by both sides. The fact that we get mixed messages on masks from political leaders, including our President,  along with medical experts is bound to create confusion, obstinance and digging in along party lines. It also doesn't help that its a presidential election year. Everything and anything can and will be politicized during those years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Texas Medical Center hospitals have stopped reporting key metrics showing the stress rising numbers of COVID-19 patients are placing on their facilities, undermining data that policy makers and the public have relied upon during the pandemic to gauge the spread of the coronavirus.

This seems ... bad.

I remarked on this somewhere else - the Auston Matthews thread probably.

Florida's daily cases are approaching the level of New York State at its peak, but Florida is seeing 10% of the death rate that NYS did at the same point in time.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-covid-19-spikes-approach-new-york-april-peak-one-tenth-deaths-1513966

Meanwhile, in Texas:

The CEO of a Houston-area hospital system told CNBC on Monday that Texas’ spike in coronavirus cases is impacting a greater number of people under 50 than earlier in the pandemic. 

“We are definitely seeing this affect young people, and they’re getting quite ill,” Houston Methodist CEO Dr. Marc Boom said on “Squawk Box.” “So we really need everybody to do their part.” 

About 60% of the Covid-19 patients currently in the eight-hospital system are under the age of 50, Boom said. “It has completely flipped” from the earlier stages of the crisis, when about 40% were under 50, he added.

Previously, about 1 in 5 people in intensive care unit beds were under 50. Now, he said it is almost 1 in 3. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

wish I knew

• Like (+1) 1

last one for now. this quote speaks to the question i had in mind as to whether low mortality rates in florida were of little actual comfort, longer-term.

“The concern is, though, that you had so much infection at a community level in these states now that it is going to eventually seep back into older populations that are more susceptible the virus and you’re going to see death rates go back up,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former Food and Drug Administration commissioner, told CNBC on Friday

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

last one for now. this quote speaks to the question i had in mind as to whether low mortality rates in florida were of little actual comfort, longer-term.

“The concern is, though, that you had so much infection at a community level in these states now that it is going to eventually seep back into older populations that are more susceptible the virus and you’re going to see death rates go back up,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former Food and Drug Administration commissioner, told CNBC on Friday

Death rates are delayed too wait another 2-4 weeks plus fla under reporting... lots of heart attacks, PEs and brain thrombosis/embolisms due to covid.  Look at deaths above norm 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Good stuff, Smell. I'm not sure how they lined up New York and Florida "at the same point in time" in their outbreaks. Deaths lag cases by several weeks if not more, so I think it's too soon to say Florida is going to fare better than NY in terms of deaths.

New daily cases started rising on about June 9 in the U.S. (as a seven day average). New daily deaths have been declining for a good while, but the last few seven-day averages indicate a possible flattening of the improvement.

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Death rates are delayed too wait another 2-4 weeks plus fla under reporting... lots of heart attacks, PEs and brain thrombosis/embolisms due to covid.  Look at deaths above norm 

In addition to those causes, Florida reporting deaths as pneumonia stats are high by comparison to other states with 2000+ deaths. For the data side of it...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm  Table 2. As of the week concluding 6/20, FLA had reported 2852 COVID deaths and 6959 pneumonia or COVID deaths (and not influenza). There are many states with very small sample sizes or low population density (Alaska, Montana) that have high disparities, but many states on the list are closer to the 1:1 ratio (Indiana (1.23), Louisiana (0.78), Ohio (1.50)) than FLA's 2.44:1. Texas is the other state skewing this way with 2000+ COVID deaths and has an even greater ratio than FLA at 3.04:1.

And then the northeastern states skew much higher (1:2) in the opposite direction with "All COVID related" column vs. the "pneumonia or COVID, not influenza" column.

14 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

I'd have to see the experiments, but if they're using culture plates then they are looking at bacteria since virus won't grow on solid media. Masks probably do much better with bacteria because they are larger and the mask will filter them much better than virus. Don't get me wrong,  wearing masks properly will help, but if I'm going to encounter someone in public who is covid positive I'd rather encounter a maskless covid positive person at >=6 ft than a masked one at 3 feet, all other things being equal.

What about a masked person and 6ft? Because the virus is primarily carried in water droplets which are stopped by a mask. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Individualism and anti-intellectualism. 

39 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

In addition to those causes, Florida reporting deaths as pneumonia stats are high by comparison to other states with 2000+ deaths. For the data side of it...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm  Table 2. As of the week concluding 6/20, FLA had reported 2852 COVID deaths and 6959 pneumonia or COVID deaths (and not influenza). There are many states with very small sample sizes or low population density (Alaska, Montana) that have high disparities, but many states on the list are closer to the 1:1 ratio (Indiana (1.23), Louisiana (0.78), Ohio (1.50)) than FLA's 2.44:1. Texas is the other state skewing this way with 2000+ COVID deaths and has an even greater ratio than FLA at 3.04:1.

And then the northeastern states skew much higher (1:2) in the opposite direction with "All COVID related" column vs. the "pneumonia or COVID, not influenza" column.

What? Florida fired their data scientist and then started cooking the numbers? I am shocked... shocked I say! Well not that shocked. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/876584284/fired-florida-data-scientist-launches-a-coronavirus-dashboard-of-her-own

She says that on the state's dashboard, any person who tests positive will be counted as a positive test only once, no matter how many times they test positive. But a person who tests negative will be counted over and over again each time they test negative for the coronavirus.

Edited by LGR4GM

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What is Scotland doing? Masks, mass testing, contact tracing? 

We have an advantage of being a small and spread out country to be fair. 

Masks are worn on public transport. Only recently have we been allowed to meet with another families outside and with social distancing. Everyone (almost) seems to be getting on with it reasonably well. Track and trace is only coming into effect this week or last I think. First Minister has been more strict than our London overlords and looks like it has paid off.

edit to add: also its been raining here since February and nothing is open so most folk have been staying at home lol.

Edited by steveoath
  • Like (+1) 1

Not an encouraging report, albeit there are qualifiers about the study being reported on.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

"This suggests that natural infection may not give long-lasting immunity, which is what people have been worried about," she said.