GDT Anaheim Ducks at Sabres 2/9/20 3pm MSG, WGR

Brawndo

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Whatever Dahlin is supposed to be or become, I don't see any of it right now. In fact he's terrible at times. He was set up with a kill shot and he whiffed.

I missed the 3rd but thought he was good in the first 2 periods. 

Dahlin is really the least of this teams problems.  Looking at the game stats many forwards were played sparingly.  Eichel had 28 minutes, Reinhart had 25.  We just don’t have enough top 6 forwards. With Mojo and Olofsson out today it really drops our the skill level down.  The saddest thing is they would be 3rd line on good teams.  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Dahlin is really the least of this teams problems.  Looking at the game stats many forwards were played sparingly.  Eichel had 28 minutes, Reinhart had 25.  We just don’t have enough top 6 forwards. With Mojo and Olofsson out today it really drops our the skill level down.  The saddest thing is they would be 3rd line on good teams.  

I’m becoming a bit concerned about the Skinner situation. The contract was always terrible from the get go but Skinner is not producing at all. I want to believe he just needs a decent Center and isn’t mailing it in.  Hopefully we can get him some better line mates and he can start producing. 

1 hour ago, freester said:

Did anyone think Montour looked significantly better than Guhle on defense?  I would say they were comparable. Another terrible Botteril trade. 

Guhle did nothing to impress me tonight.  He played 13 minutes of #6 defense. 

I still didn’t get point of that trade then, or now.  

6 minutes ago, freester said:

I’m becoming a bit concerned about the Skinner situation. The contract was always terrible from the get go but Skinner is not producing at all. I want to believe he just needs a decent Center and isn’t mailing it in.  Hopefully we can get him some better line mates and he can start producing. 

His confidence is gone.  He needs a center.   I never thought I’d see him this suppressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Guhle did nothing to impress me tonight.  He played 13 minutes of #6 defense. 

I still didn’t get point of that trade then, or now.  

Not to nitpick but Guhle played almost 16 minutes according to stats and didn’t make any glaring errors that I saw. Guhle is also younger and less developed than Montour. 

5 minutes ago, freester said:

Not to nitpick but Guhle played almost 16 minutes according to stats and didn’t make any glaring errors that I saw. Guhle is also younger and less developed than Montour. 

The stats I have show 13 but no matter.

I’m not gonna debate Guhle vs Montour.  I don’t think Montour has consistently played at a solid top 4 level, at times he does.  

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The stats I have show 13 but no matter.

I’m not gonna debate Guhle vs Montour.  I don’t think Montour has consistently played at a solid top 4 level, at times he does.  

Do you think any team would trade us a first round pick for Montour?

28 minutes ago, freester said:

Probably not.  I get it.  We gave up a pretty good prospect (Guhle) and late #1.    Now we need him to be a solid top 4 with puck skills.

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, freester said:

Winnipeg and Toronto (2021 1st) would gladly make that move. 

WPG is looking for a RHD and The Risto for Ehlers Rumor won’t die. In this move they get a RHD and wouldn’t have to give up a roster player.

Toronto could leave Ceci on LTIR until the playoffs and not have to move Johansson, Kerfoot or Kapanen. 

Both teams are in win now mode so moving a First for a Top 4 RHD with team control beyond this season is an easy decision. 

Skinner is most likely “mailing it in” at this point. 

The guy spent all year last season stapled to Eichels hip and bagged 40 goals. Signs a very long contract, most likely under the assumption he will be skating with Eichel for years. 

This season comes, and he’s banned from being with Eichel. He’s asked to score 30-40 goals with no real center, and no productive other winger, and when he doesn’t provide the stats, he’s demoted to a 4th line with AHL caliber players. How is he supposed to feel at this point? And people wonder why a lot of other players couldn’t wait to GFTO of Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I thought this was Dahlin's strongest, most complete game in a loooong time.

5 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Skinner must be in the dog house 

Skinner's game is in a really dark place right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Tired of watching a perimeter game.  The paint on the dasher must have to get redone every couple games because this team's only strategy is to sling the puck along the boards.   It's a futile strategy when you don't have the right kind of players to win battles.

That's exactly right.  We don't have many guys who want to go to the dirty areas.  Very passive roster in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Entertaining 3rd, save draft position, eh

I thought the same.  We grew stronger as the game progressed and the Ducks grew weaker.  It actually got fairly entertaining for a while in the 3rd, and yet we didn't engage in any foolishness to muck up our draft pick. 

If we had bothered to show up for the start of the game we may well have won this one.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

That's exactly right.  We don't have many guys who want to go to the dirty areas.  Very passive roster in that regard. 

That’s what happens with wimpy unphysical players. They avoid the dirty areas. That’s why I like Risto in front of the net on the power play. 

I was at work all day and finally got to watch today's game. It wasn't terrible.

It is unbelievable how may pipes we hit.

I thought Dahlin looked really good.

We cannot trade Risto.

There is something wrong with Skinner. I hope it's not concussion related.

Forwards that I know we have; Jack, Samson, Skinner, Larsson, Vesey, ERod, Girgs,… that's pretty much it.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Skinner is most likely “mailing it in” at this point. 

The guy spent all year last season stapled to Eichels hip and bagged 40 goals. Signs a very long contract, most likely under the assumption he will be skating with Eichel for years. 

This season comes, and he’s banned from being with Eichel. He’s asked to score 30-40 goals with no real center, and no productive other winger, and when he doesn’t provide the stats, he’s demoted to a 4th line with AHL caliber players. How is he supposed to feel at this point? And people wonder why a lot of other players couldn’t wait to GFTO of Buffalo 

And yet a lot of people seem to think RK is a good or ok coach. I think he’s quite obviously a moron. I don’t care if he doesn’t personally like Skinner or whatever excuse. It’s beyond idiotic to sign Skinner to this huge deal and then not put him on the top line with one of the best players in the league. It’s a fireable offense as far as I’m concerned. This coaching staff doesn’t know how to fix the power play, penalty killing or put their best players in positions to succeed. They are clueless. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I mean sure, Sam didn’t do anything, but it honestly probably was someone else’s area.  If Sam is over on that side, that leaves zero Sabres on the right side of the ice.  Plus the pass to Getzlaf went right through Ike’s legs and also Risto was standing there watching as well (closer to the play than Reino) as Getzlaf came down the wing, received the nice pass and buried it.  It was actually a really quick play and a really nice pass.

Eichel or Risto is the guy who should have been backchecking faster so the guy down low wasn’t totally free to make that pass.

Look at it again. Getzlaf cuts right in toward the middle. Reinhart is just standing there still, waiting for a break out after a stop or intercepted pass. Risto is deeper, slightly off to the side (agreed) but his area is deeper, closer to the net I think and it's up to the forwards to back check in that area, not have the D chasing everything all the time. Don't remember where Jack was so I can't argue that part. If I had to guess, he was probably caught behind the play after trying to do something offensively but I'm just guessing. Not sure if he was in the camera shot but Reinhart wasn't even moving. Doing absolutely nothing, just waiting, so he could look good on a possible counter rush.

This is one of the problems.And it's not just Sam, although he does it a lot. Standing around and waiting for others to do something, not communicating with each other, playing like individuals not like a team. If Jack did miss the check and lose Getzlaf, Sam was in position to cover for him and while he does that Jack should go into Sam's spot. Team play, shared responsibility. We just simply fail miserably in that regard. 

I went cross country skiing today, I almost forgot the game was on and came to check out the comments, glad I missed it. 

Sadly, I have tickets to the wings game and reservations at chefs before the game on Tuesday. I almost don't want to go, but I won't pass on some spaghetti Parm and why not hit the arena since I'm so close. I just hope they don't suck as much as last game against Detroit. 

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

And yet a lot of people seem to think RK is a good or ok coach. I think he’s quite obviously a moron. I don’t care if he doesn’t personally like Skinner or whatever excuse. It’s beyond idiotic to sign Skinner to this huge deal and then not put him on the top line with one of the best players in the league. It’s a fireable offense as far as I’m concerned. This coaching staff doesn’t know how to fix the power play, penalty killing or put their best players in positions to succeed. They are clueless. 

I agree with this. Ralph needs to get his head out of his asss. He’ll turn Skinner into a 15 goal guy if its the last thing he does.

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

I agree with half of this. But, if Skinner's all that he should be able to do more as is. If he needs Jack to succeed he isn't that good is he?

Where I agree though is in all the line juggling we see why do we never see Reinhart off Eichel's line? My own view is JBot wants him there to maximize his trade potential but we shall see if that's true or not I guess in time. otherwise it makes no sense.  If you want to spread the scoring around so one top line can't be checked , which is a valid idea, and you want to mix scoring players with better defenders, which is also a valid philosophy, why didn't we see Skinner and Eichel with a defender for a while (especially with Olofsson out) and Sam on the second line like Skinner was? If for nothing else, seeing this might end the Reinhart good or bad debate  once and for all. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with half of this. But, if Skinner's all that he should be able to do more as is. If he needs Jack to succeed he isn't that good is he?

The list of great finishers having great setup guys is pretty long. It's common practice to play snipers with playmakers, and has been for as long as I can remember.

I got a feeling Skinner would've buried at least some of Jack's cross crease passes that Vesey routinely tips wide, but who knows.

I wondered if he'd score 20 this season about a month ago. I'm now certain that he won't. Terrible.

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.