GDT: Colorado at Buffalo, Feb. 4, 2020, 7:08 p.m. ET (MSG)

PASabreFan

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Skinner is playing like total sh*t.  If he is totally incapable of playing without Jack, well that tells you all you need to know doesn't it.

other than Detroit, who are clearly tanking, we are still the worst team in the NHL.

Fire them all. 

What it tells me is we have an expensive goal scoring winger, that is playing with a winger who is forced to be a center, because our GM once again counted on his draft pick - a minor leaguer (Mittelstadt) to be a 2C.  All three players have had their performance hurt by this terrible plan.  

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What it tells me is we have an expensive goal scoring winger, that is playing with a winger who is forced to be a center, because our GM once again counted on his draft pick - a minor leaguer (Mittelstadt) to be a 2C.  All three players have had their performance hurt by this terrible plan.  

Skinner has proven earlier in his career he doesn’t need to be surrounded by talent to perform. He also showed a ton of negative personality traits and hockey behaviors that shouldn’t have been rewarded with a $9m contract. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Legitimately no reason this franchise shouldn't be near or at Colorado's level of skill and success. Colorado bottomed out in 2016-2017 with something like 48 points, playing hockey on par with the tank Sabres. They made the playoffs the year after with a very flawed but exciting team, continued to address needs and get stronger so that they won a round last year, and then added Donskoi, Kadri, and Burakovsky to get ready to send their young core deep into the playoffs. 

Its very easy to construct a ladder for the Sabres that lines up with Colorado, or is just one year behind, and yet these two teams didn't appear to be playing the same sport.

it literally didn't even have to come close to being as miserable of a path as it has been. We have a bag full of meek and reactive hockey players 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Skinner has proven earlier in his career he doesn’t need to be surrounded by talent to perform. He also showed a ton of negative personality traits and hockey behaviors that shouldn’t have been rewarded with a $9m contract. 

Maybe so.  I could not say what his personality traits are.  I don’t know him personally.  

I can say that if I pay someone 9M$ I will have a plan on how to use him and maximize his skills.  Did JBot have that?   What was his rationale for the contract?   I refuse to blame the player in this situation.  

So if Skinner does not need to be surrounded by talent to perform, as you say, then he must be a special player.  I don’t see that.  I see a winger that is a finisher and desperately needs a playmaker on his line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Legitimately no reason this franchise shouldn't be near or at Colorado's level of skill and success. Colorado bottomed out in 2016-2017 with something like 48 points, playing hockey on par with the tank Sabres. They made the playoffs the year after with a very flawed but exciting team, continued to address needs and get stronger so that they won a round last year, and then added Donskoi, Kadri, and Burakovsky to get ready to send their young core deep into the playoffs. 

Its very easy to construct a ladder for the Sabres that lines up with Colorado, or is just one year behind, and yet these two teams didn't appear to be playing the same sport.

it literally didn't even have to come close to being as miserable of a path as it has been. We have a bag full of meek and reactive hockey players 

Maybe hire away one of the architects of this turn around to help guide the Sabres.  JB needs a person over him to do this.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I was actually considering breaking down Colorado’s rebuild compared to Buffalo’s. More so the last decade of each franchise. Maybe I’ll get around to it this weekend. I think there’s quite a few major differences that happened and obviously resulted in much more success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I was actually considering breaking down Colorado’s rebuild compared to Buffalo’s. More so the last decade of each franchise. Maybe I’ll get around to it this weekend. I think there’s quite a few major differences that happened and obviously resulted in much more success. 

No team is ever entirely the same, for sure.

The team that Jason inherited, in competent hands, would look a lot more like Colorado did tonight than we did. Crazy things can happen in three full off seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I agree with pretty much all that you said here, but the Rockies were pretty near the bottom in 2013, no?  So, near the bottom that they won the lottery and drafted their stud #1 centre.  And, if memory serves, they didn't do what the Sabres did in order to get MacKinnon.

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree with pretty much all that you said here, but the Rockies were pretty near the bottom in 2013, no?  So, near the bottom that they won the lottery and drafted their stud #1 centre.  And, if memory serves, they didn't do what the Sabres did in order to get MacKinnon.

I'm more focused on comparing their roster, cupboard, and record in 16-17, to ours in 17-18.

Edit: Must have had a stroke while writing that

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

I watched the Colorado broadcast tonight.  

They commented on the "weird and strange" atmosphere in the building a couple of times.

They mentioned that the building was almost silent, except for Colorado fans making some noise.

They highlighted the Sabres going off the ice to end the 2nd frame to a chorus of boos.

At the end, they mentioned how the handful of Sabres fans still in attendance were booing.

LOL.

Just another night in hockey heaven!

EDIT:  Forgot to mention...they had an ongoing conversation through the game about the state of affairs in Buffalo.  What was funny was that they spoke of us missing the playoffs again this year as a foregone conclusion.  Mentioned how we are coming up on Edmonton's all-time record of no playoffs 10 straight years. 

I hope Pegula got to watch this broadcast!  I highly doubt it though.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sakic wins trades, we dont

Turris for Girard

Burakovsky for 2nd and 3rd 

Grubaur for a 2nd

Graves for peanuts

top 4 for Duchene

Zadorov and Compher for O’Reilly

plus drafting four spots ahead of Buffalo in 2017 gave them Makar and us Casey. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.