Jump to content
LTS

GDT - Tuesday, January 14th - Vegas Golden Knights @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ET (WGR/MSG)

Recommended Posts

It's Game Day, and perhaps you don't care anymore.

The Sabres play the Knights.  It happens at 7pm.  As per usual.

I figured I would start the GDT even though I won't see the game tonight (kid's got a game at 7pm). I figured I would start the thread because I'm still a fan of the Sabres regardless of what is happening right now.  I may not go nuts over the team.  I may not be interested in spending a lot of time on them.  But I am still a fan.

So, this thread is for those who are still fans of the team to discuss the game.  Because we are still here. Because this place is a place to discuss the Sabres and despite the prevailing devil may care attitudes, people keep show up day in and day out to do so. 

I won't get all in depth with what lines are, etc.  But I will start the GDT.. because even if the Sabres aren't worth it, Sabrespace is.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still care, but work has been busy which means time to discuss a team that started strong then seems to have fallen off a cliff is limited. I don't like to dwell on the bad.

 

I thought we looked good on Sunday, but it was against Detroit.

 

It was hard watching that one since it was in the middle of the NFL playoffs. I would watch a period then, switch back to football, then back to hockey, etc. But since I typically watch sports on a delay to skip commericals etc it worked out ok.

 

Anyways Vegas will  be a bigger challenge than Detroit. It'd be nice to get back to back wins. Let's go Buffalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 points out of a wild card spot on January 14th. They need to consistently string together wins if they want to stay somewhat afloat and I don't see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winning this one would be a building block to getting their confidence back. It has got to be Linus in net or we have no chance.

Dahlin with 1G 1A on the PP.

Let’s go Buffalo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43612941_1858673130848235_74252712223315

From the game last year when we beat 'em.  Let's do it again.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna blame myself and @LTSfor the Sabres woes, it all started in Sweden and hasn't let up since... Curse us, curse us to hell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm gonna blame myself and @LTSfor the Sabres woes, it all started in Sweden and hasn't let up since... Curse us, curse us to hell 

It started with Darcy and his "suffering" comments. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 years, 8 YEARS, after he was drafted Zemgus Grigensons is on our top line, with 12 points in 48 games

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WildCard said:
8 years, 8 YEARS, after he was drafted Zemgus Grigensons is on our top line, with 12 points in 48 games

source.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's about time Zemgus got a shot.

Unleash the Kraken!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WildCard said:

8 years, 8 YEARS, after he was drafted Zemgus Grigensons is on our top line, with 12 points in 48 games

Branching off from your point completely, if you had told me in August that Zemgus would have 8 goals in 48 games I'd have signed up for that so fast

Probably 3 summers ago I crunched some numbers and they showed that Eichel and Zemgus each get a lot more productive when they're paired together. 

I doubt that still holds, as Eichel has exploded offensively since then

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nfreeman said:

It's about time Zemgus got a shot.

Image result for what gif

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Branching off from your point completely, if you had told me in August that Zemgus would have 8 goals in 48 games I'd have signed up for that so fast

Probably 3 summers ago I crunched some numbers and they showed that Eichel and Zemgus each get a lot more productive when they're paired together. 

I doubt that still holds, as Eichel has exploded offensively since then

Well Zemgus getting more productive with Eichel isn't really all that surprising. Eichel with Zemgus is but like you said, Eichel's pretty much his own entity at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rasmus Dahlin currently has 5 points in 4 games. He is on pace for 44 assists and roughly 4 goals this season in 70 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin currently has 5 points in 4 games. He is on pace for 44 assists and roughly 4 goals this season in 70 games. 

I went back and looked at Karlsson and Hedmans' early seasons back when we drafted Dahlin, Hedman took 5 seasons to really put it all together, Karlsson took 2-3, depending on how you view it.

So Dahlin is pretty much right on track. I know we all expect him to be Bobby Orr, but he's right where he should be

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm gonna blame myself and @LTSfor the Sabres woes, it all started in Sweden and hasn't let up since... Curse us, curse us to hell 

Uhhh.. thanks?

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

8 years, 8 YEARS, after he was drafted Zemgus Grigensons is on our top line, with 12 points in 48 games

A few things here:

I don't hate this. Girgensons has the speed and can dig the corners.  They've been using Eichel as the high forechecker in the zone because he can close the distance quickly on the breakout pass and his longer stick improves his ability to cause a turnover.  He also has the speed to skate up the ice with Eichel.

Also, if he shows well up there he might have increased trade value.

Also, you only have so many resources at the moment, why not try it.  If you are stocked with bottom 6 players, why not get one of those bottom 6 up to the top if they have a chance to produce?

I still don't like the Johansson line.  I don't know about Sheary on that line.  I think I'd prefer Vesey.  I think Sheary Asplund Rodrigues is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LTS said:

Uhhh.. thanks?

A few things here:

I don't hate this. Girgensons has the speed and can dig the corners.  They've been using Eichel as the high forechecker in the zone because he can close the distance quickly on the breakout pass and his longer stick improves his ability to cause a turnover.  He also has the speed to skate up the ice with Eichel.

Also, if he shows well up there he might have increased trade value.

Also, you only have so many resources at the moment, why not try it.  If you are stocked with bottom 6 players, why not get one of those bottom 6 up to the top if they have a chance to produce?

I still don't like the Johansson line.  I don't know about Sheary on that line.  I think I'd prefer Vesey.  I think Sheary Asplund Rodrigues is fine.

It's not a complaint against Ralph, it's an indictment on the Sabres management that that's an actual option in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin currently has 5 points in 4 games. He is on pace for 44 assists and roughly 4 goals this season in 70 games. 

 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I went back and looked at Karlsson and Hedmans' early seasons back when we drafted Dahlin, Hedman took 5 seasons to really put it all together, Karlsson took 2-3, depending on how you view it.

So Dahlin is pretty much right on track. I know we all expect him to be Bobby Orr, but he's right where he should be

His metrics from the beginning of the season until now have taken a complete turn in a positive direction, but I suppose I should leave that for the professionals. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WildCard said:

It's not a complaint against Ralph, it's an indictment on the Sabres management that that's an actual option in the first place.

True.  I get it.  I agree.  I think everyone agrees. The question I think that drives debate is how much of it is on the current management (other than the owner) and how much of it is purely the mistake the decisions made during the first few years of the current ownership group.  I don't want to hash that out here (plenty of threads for that!)...

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't missed a game yet.  No reason to start now.

Go Sabres!!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...