2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

It's too late for that. Now that Aho has signed with Montreal, Carolina has 7 days to match the deal exactly as written or take the compensation. If they keep him, he can't be traded for 1 year or a year and a day or something like that. It's been a while since I read up on it, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

They do have to accept the compensation portion of the contract and have to keep him this entire season.  But if there are any NTC/NMCs, Carolina can elect to not honor them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Yep.  No 3rd rounder.  And JBOT traded away another 3rd rounder for Vesey.  Looks like JBOT will never go the offer sheet route.

Correct, they'd either be going veeeeery big offer sheet, very little one, or more likely no offer sheets this year or next.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think in the first tweet, the reporter means net income, not revenue.  And by last year, I assume that was a non-playoff year.  Certainly they will make more this year with the playoff run they had.

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That's GM speak for "COME AT ME, BRO!"

It's also throwing the spotlight directly on his owner.  The owner isn't aware yet so I can't state unequivocally that we are matching it but if we don't don't look at me because i think he's worth significantly more.  If they don't match you think Waddell resigns?

I don't know if it changed since last week, since I was out on vacation, but the story at that point was that Waddell didn't actually have a contract for next season yet.  Nothing official anyway.

9 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That's GM speak for "COME AT ME, BRO!"

It's also throwing the spotlight directly on his owner.  The owner isn't aware yet so I can't state unequivocally that we are matching it but if we don't don't look at me because i think he's worth significantly more. If they don't match you think Waddell resigns?

Not a chance.  It took him a long time to get another GM gig after getting canned in Winnipeg.  Guys with his Atlanta track record don't get 3rd chances when showing up their owner at their 2nd job.  Regardless of how tight he has ties to USAHockey.

Curious - can the Hurricanes match and then trade Aho?

So, Buffalo could call up Waddell and offer a trade for what is now known contract for Aho and offer something that includes a first, a RHD, and some other players?  

Edited by LTS
bad grammar

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

So, Buffalo could call up Waddell and offer a trade for what is now known contract for Aho and offer something that includes a first, a RHD, and some other players?  

No.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

They can not trade the player for 1 calendar year.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

If they match he must remain with Carolina for at least one full season. If they let him walk, he must remain with Montreal for at least one full season.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

No.

Just now, E4 ... Ke2 said:

They can not trade the player for 1 calendar year.

Just now, Drunkard said:

If they match he must remain with Carolina for at least one full season. If they let him walk, he must remain with Montreal for at least one full season.

Thanks... so I guess Aho must have really wanted some money right now?  I'd like to think other teams (including Buffalo) were out there offering some kind of contract that might have been spread out more.

Well, this should be fun.

Also - anyone else think that the signing bonus to salary ratio might be a source of contention in the next collective bargaining agreement?

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Thanks... so I guess Aho must have really wanted some money right now?  I'd like to think other teams (including Buffalo) were out there offering some kind of contract that might have been spread out more.

Well, this should be fun.

Also - anyone else think that the signing bonus to salary ratio might be a source of contention in the next collective bargaining agreement?

Aho definitely could have gotten more but it seems like he really wanted to reach UFA status as early as possible. Teams probably didn't want to risk giving up 4 first round picks for a guy only guaranteed to be with the team for 5 years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.