Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

9 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Let's not fumble the kneel down.

Wouldn't that have been darkly poetic. So, the Steelers had/has the number one defense?  Does that fully explain how bad our offense looked? I know the talking heads were saying this was going to be a low scoring game, but let's hope whoever we take on in the playoffs has a far worse defense than they faced tonight. 

I guess that seems all pessimistic. Sorry! Good win, nail-biter!

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Wouldn't that have been darkly poetic. So, the Steelers had/has the number one defense?  Does that fully explain how bad our offense looked? I know the talking heads were saying this was going to be a low scoring game, but let's hope whoever we take on in the playoffs has a far worse defense than they faced tonight. 

Top 5. They're elite. But that doesn't excuse Singletary's 2 fumbles, all the drops, and the ultra-conservative playcalling. Allen could have played better as well. This offense is still a year away from being really good.

Buffalo's D is Super-Bowl caliber right now. No doubt. They need to do a much better job on third quarter scripted opening drives, but otherwise I am comfortable calling them elite (in the Jack Eichel sense of the word).

Just now, inkman said:

Channel 10 in Rochester going to Bath Tub Billy's after the game. Place hasn't been busy or relevant for decades. 

Eh not true. It's pretty big in the volleyball community, which is surprisingly large around here 

6 minutes ago, ... said:

In general, I think fans need to lay off the offense. The talent level just isn’t there yet and they’re doing their best to make chicken salad. I mean, why get mad at people who are mostly incapable of doing great things when they don’t do them?

It is going to take a bit to get the talent level up to par. $90M in cap next year should help, if anyone worthwhile makes it to free agency.

7 minutes ago, ... said:

The Steelers were the scariest defense on the schedule to me. NE is brilliant scheming and rock solid fundamentals - Pittsbrugh's DEFENSE can score a TD themselves any give play. Most sacks and takeaways, pro bowl talentS at every level. '

Playing baltimore, pitt, ne in a row is gonna make houston's D look like a HS team.

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

In general, I think fans need to lay off the offense. The talent level just isn’t there yet and they’re doing their best to make chicken salad. I mean, why get mad at people who are mostly incapable of doing great things when they don’t do them?

It is going to take a bit to get the talent level up to par. $90M in cap next year should help, if anyone worthwhile makes it to free agency.

My beef isn't with the players on offense, it's with the organizational decision making of the McBeane era that led to this collection of players being the best we can field right now. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

My beef isn't with the players on offense, it's with the organizational decision making of the McBeane era that led to this collection of players being the best we can field right now. 

Seriously? Our first double digit wind total in 20 years… Two playoff appearances in three years, where we had none the previous 17… You have problems with the organization? FFS

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

In general, I think fans need to lay off the offense.

While I understand you're speaking to the general "fan" and not me specifically, but you're giving a fan like me a bit too much credit, or, perhaps, too little credit. I don't know, take your pick. All I know is that for most of the season I thought the Bills offense looked pretty good and capable of winning any game. Tonight, they didn't look that way. My comment was based upon an eye toward the playoffs.  It'd be cool if they weren't one-and-done.

I will say that it looked to be like both teams went into this game putting defense first, or, in other words, both went into this game expecting the defense to "win" the game. Which is a weird concept to me because if the offense doesn't bring it, the defense doesn't matter. None the less, because of the way football is played, you know strategies and plays and all of that, it was a D-first game in my view.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Seriously? Our first double digit wind total in 20 years… Two playoff appearances in three years, where we had none the previous 17… You have problems with the organization? FFS

And the first time we made the playoffs in this run we scored...*checks notes*...3 points. 

It's 2019 in a cap league where elite defenses can be held together for a couple of years before contracts break it all up. The league is built for offenses to win, and the teams with the best offenses win over a longer period than those with defenses. Because one player on offense means a lot more than one player on defense. I think they built the team backwards. If Allen becomes one if the greats it won't matter, but he's sure not there yet. 

Would you rather be the Chiefs or the Bills right now? The baseline shouldn't be two decades of complete organizational ineptitude, it should be teams that win consistently over an extended period of time. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And the first time we made the playoffs in this run we scored...*checks notes*...3 points. 

It's 2019 in a cap league where elite defenses can be held together for a couple of years before contracts break it all up. The league is built for offenses to win, and the teams with the best offenses win over a longer period than those with defenses. Because one player on offense means a lot more than one player on defense. I think they built the team backwards. If Allen becomes one if the greats it won't matter, but he's sure not there yet. 

Would you rather be the Chiefs or the Bills right now? The baseline shouldn't be two decades of complete organizational ineptitude, it should be teams that win consistently over an extended period of time. 

We're 10-4 with a shot at the division next week. In decades of toiling in Buffalo futility, just enjoy it for once man 

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

While I understand you're speaking to the general "fan" and not me specifically, but you're giving a fan like me a bit too much credit, or, perhaps, too little credit. I don't know, take your pick. All I know is that for most of the season I thought the Bills offense looked pretty good and capable of winning any game. Tonight, they didn't look that way. My comment was based upon an eye toward the playoffs.  It'd be cool if they weren't one-and-done.

I will say that it looked to be like both teams went into this game putting defense first, or, in other words, both went into this game expecting the defense to "win" the game. Which is a weird concept to me because if the offense doesn't bring it, the defense doesn't matter. None the less, because of the way football is played, you know strategies and plays and all of that, it was a D-first game in my view.

I imagine the emphasis on turnovers was huge. The Steelers aren’t just a run of the mill defensive unit. That unit wins games for them. 

Despite the fact that I think CC is a knucklehead, the point about beating yourself was true and despite their clear efforts to avoid doing just that - they still almost did it.